Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2011, 11:09 PM

Exclamation $5000 for a new HDX system

Yes, $5000
Should be about the price of a new HDX system when considering the whole sale price for it's ti/tigersharc/motorola processor chips, development costs, and the manufacturing of the card itself, and that it's a given that more necessary items will be purchased by the customer for the system.

But instead it is $10,000 -Even in this Economy!

And that makes for quite a profit
Only 2 times the price. Only 3 times the price of a Mac Pro Westmere
Can someone explain why?
And if the explanation is the extra power, well then why was the previous accel core (system) $10,000 new, and so on, and so forth

Old 11-19-2011, 12:25 AM

Default Re: $5000 for a new HDX system

So let me try to get your logic straight here a moment. You're not happy that a system that is more powerful(as tested by the beta testers but yet to be seen in actual in market action) than a hd3 accel system?

1 HDx card offers 256 voices per card , 2x more I/O per card, 64 bit ready, 4x time more adc (16k), the ability to connect 4 HD series interface per card.
Compared to 1 hd accel card offered max of 96 voice, max of 32 I/0, not 64 bit ready, 4k adc, could only connect up to 32 channels so 2 192 I/O max.

Ye's it has T1 chips so? clocked at 350mhz compared to the old accel cards (motorola 56k at 220 mhz).

So let's reiterate. You're not happy that for 9999.99 you would get an hdx card+HDI/O omni brand new, for the same price of one brand new 8 years old outdated and less powerful technology core card+interface? Forget ebay for a moment, and compare new to new.

To put it in an other kind of example, you would not be happy with getting a 1300 cc harley vs your old Vespa for the same price?

See, I'm not saying that every one should jump on it, if it's not suited for them fine, but I'm trying to see the logic of your post.

What i'd like to know though is if the t1 is a typo or meant to be TI 350 mhz dsp chips? Max, dts? Could you confirm it's t1 or TI?

I know the 11 rack has TI (texas instruments) TMS320C6727BZDH DSP chips in them, so it would seem logical that they would have went with the same manufacturer for the HDX cards.

Wave-T.com
Old 11-19-2011, 02:02 AM

I disagree prices are decided by products demand. Also considering it is cheaper than an HD3 accel brand new is nice. Also it only takes up one pcie slot.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:33 AM

I wonder if people sit around and look up all the parts of a Mercedes to try to figure out what it should cost.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:07 AM

Exclamation Re: $5000 for a new HDX system

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeDye View Post
I disagree prices are decided by products demand. Also considering it is cheaper than an HD3 accel brand new is nice. Also it only takes up one pcie slot.
Avid has claimed that it's more powerful but I would like see more info on comparison of the two. TDM vs TDM, TDM vs AAX.

It's expensive unless you work or get a kick back from Avid but we'll see how sales are in December. Not many in my area are upgrading and it has nothing to do with affording the product but if it's worth it.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:21 AM

Cool Re: $5000 for a new HDX system

AxeDye-That sounds more reasonable, probably is set by market price.
Nst7-The fact that you compare it to a Mercedes pretty much sums it up..

Corp-It's too bad they're not selling so well, but I disagree as to why- I think people are hesitant to buy the new HDX because out of fear of double jeopardy.
1)Spending too much money and2)Having it turn out to be a mistake
You'd be kicking yourself for the next year

Many audio software programs turn out to mistakes, but for $300 to $800 its no big deal, just shelve it..
But $10,000 is a gamble for most people because for that kind of cash you can buy

ALL OF THE OTHER AUDIO PROGRAMS(and some of their hardware)
Old 11-19-2011, 09:36 AM

As far as how much power it has, Max Gutnik from Avid has answered this in a similar thread (halfway down the page):

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=312110&page=2
Old 11-19-2011, 10:35 AM

Exclamation Re: $5000 for a new HDX system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diccer View Post
AxeDye-That sounds more reasonable, probably is set by market price.
Nst7-The fact that you compare it to a Mercedes pretty much sums it up..

Corp-It's too bad they're not selling so well, but I disagree as to why- I think people are hesitant to buy the new HDX because out of fear of double jeopardy.
1)Spending too much money and2)Having it turn out to be a mistake
You'd be kicking yourself for the next year

Many audio software programs turn out to mistakes, but for $300 to $800 its no big deal, just shelve it..
But $10,000 is a gamble for most people because for that kind of cash you can buy

ALL OF THE OTHER AUDIO PROGRAMS(and some of their hardware)
I'm still on the fence like many in my area because of the reasons you have mentioned. 7k to move one system to HDX ? Avid stock has been down and nobody was updating so they needed to come up with a plan to create capital some how...Avid could of made this transition a lot smoother but as you see that didn't happen. Look at all the marketing ploys on Avid's new HDio which they didn't sell many because of the small development increase hence HD to HDX. I still believe if this release would of had 64bit and a mobile TB type interface not PCIe card people would have been content.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:17 PM

I'm sorry but what are you guys talking about hdx not selling well?? Afaik its not even out and soonest someone will be having them in is mid jan2012. Afaik demand is high and people will need to wait to actually get them. Of course it might be different for US
Old 11-19-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
I'm still on the fence like many in my area because of the reasons you have mentioned. 7k to move one system to HDX ? Avid stock has been down and nobody was updating so they needed to come up with a plan to create capital some how...Avid could of made this transition a lot smoother but as you see that didn't happen. Look at all the marketing ploys on Avid's new HDio which they didn't sell many because of the small development increase hence HD to HDX. I still believe if this release would of had 64bit and a mobile TB type interface not PCIe card people would have been content.
Like digidesigner I'm having trouble seeing where you're going with this. First your statement that HD I/O has not been selling well. Basing you assumption on the few people you know in your area, does not reflect the entire world Market. Some have been hit more than others by the global recession, and in such it influenced a lot their decision process for updating their equipment.

Also, considering that the 192 can't be bought new, any one that has bought new equipment from avid, that is not used from ebay or other means, has bought the HD I/O (omni, madi, 8x8x8, 16x16 analogue or digital). If I'm not making a mistake while reading the report that they have provided, the audio division of avid for the last three months that ended in September made 66 Millions for a total of 164 Millions when including the video segment. That's still a lot of sales, of course it's not just for the HD interfaces, but without having a per product table of sales, we can't know what has sold or not. So the statement that the HD I/O interfaces has not sold, is unfounded.

But then you go on and compare those sales being correlative to the small development increase and that reason being why they went from HD to HDX, that makes no sense at all. The R&D cost as shown in the report has remained stable in 2011 as it has been in 2010. 28 millions usd and some dusts.

So I'd really loved to see on what report you're making the assumption that the HD I/O has not sold, and that's the reason why they moved from HD to HDX. Which in essence that reasoning makes no sense at all. People have been asking for new dsp cards for the last three years in the dsp market of Avid, it's completely natural that they would come out with new products that would be ready for the future of PT 64 bit.

Also even though people can actually pre order the HDX cards, many suspect that the real sales will happen when the product is available on the market and more reviews will have been made about the products, by independent sources that are not tied to sales.

As for TB interface, sure it's a nice interface, it's still slower than pcie interfaces, and in that essence might not be suitable for large bandwith demand when you are tracking large amount of simultaneous inputs. The future will tell us about that, but there's not enough a market for TB yet to actually have a good base for analysis.

Wave-T.com