Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-25-2011, 05:46 AM

Default Re: Protools 10HD upgrade to from 9 is 999.99 ..... WHY

I'm pretty glad i'm not a HD user at this point, here's the pricing on the rip-off Britain UK Avidstore:

HD7 to HD10 = £1918 ($3068)
HD8 to HD10 = £1138 ($1820)
HD9 to HD10 = £754 ($1206)

It would also be great to hear Avid's stance on it's intentions with it's own plugins. Are all the existing plugins going to make the leap to AAX, which are going to be phased out?
Old 10-25-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
What about HD people who are looking at having to dump all their expensive hardware if they want to stay current with the software in the future.

Somehow I don't think Avid are in the business of "softening blows".

I wish it were true.
Well, they ARE offering trade in's for the old hardware. You don't see Apple or most other hardware companies doing that. I went through the process of trading in a TDM system for an HD system and it sure felt like softening the blow to me. If they weren't trying to soften blows when possible, you wouldn't see ANY exchange offerings IMHO.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
What about HD people who are looking at having to dump all their expensive hardware if they want to stay current with the software in the future.

Somehow I don't think Avid are in the business of "softening blows".

I wish it were true.
That's the thing... If I want a 64 bit Pro Tools then it looks as if I'll have no choice but to upgrade from HD or HDX in a year or so.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:14 AM

I totally agree with you Captain.

I think their hardware upgrade policy is fine. I got lots of use from my HD rig and it made its money back many times over. Its great that they offer hardware exchange at all.

The software price to run HD10 on a TDM rig is my beef.

That should be priced as an introductory offer to make people feel good about upgrading all their hardware.

I hardly ever post on this forum and I've seen a lot of people showing up who don't either.

Its rubbed the HD users noses in it!
Old 10-25-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
I totally agree with you Captain.

I think their hardware upgrade policy is fine. I got lots of use from my HD rig and it made its money back many times over. Its great that they offer hardware exchange at all.

The software price to run HD10 on a TDM rig is my beef.

That should be priced as an introductory offer to make people feel good about upgrading all their hardware.

I hardly ever post on this forum and I've seen a lot of people showing up who don't either.

Its rubbed the HD users noses in it!
Yup your right, I myself included this is one of my first time writing in this form ever and I must say for the past week I've seen over 10 people already telling me, there getting rid of there HD I/O and getting a apogee sticking with pro tools 9 HD just for recording and mixing in Logic now, not supporting avid any longer. Several different studios that are well maintained didn't mind the transition because money was never the issue for them, but even they said to me, this is the first time in history they were shocked about the upgrade price even tho it didn't matter to them much.

I can understand about the hardware exchange and all that, but for only upgrading that cost that much speaks high volume to me as well. I've never felt so obligated to move away from a company this much before. I think from where I've been working 4 different studios, there all putting up there I/O for sale soon and now installing Logic at the moment..interesting to me. I for one might head there direction as well... still thinking about it.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:38 AM

I think, and I could be way wrong, that the HD upgrade pricing is more than what it appears. The next release will not support older HD hardware - so if you're not moving to HDX, this is the last version upgrade you'll likely pay for - if you do move to HDX I'm assuming that hardware upgrade program comes with the software? (stop reading here if I'm wrong)

If that's the case then it's unfair, but at the same time makes sense from a business standpoint. It forces HD users to decide if version 10 is going to be their baby for $1000-$1500 as it equates to time/usage or if they're going to just go ahead and make the full leap into a hardware upgrade either now or when the 64 bit hits.

Maybe I'm just talking out of my a** tho
Old 10-25-2011, 07:48 AM

Avid/Matt

After nearly 500 posts on here you still haven't responded to the software upgrade price. This is what everyone is unhappy about.

Last year you told us you were guilty of not listening and that you had changed that. Well .......

Al
Old 10-25-2011, 08:03 AM

Exclamation Re: Protools 10HD upgrade to from 9 is 999.99 ..... WHY

It's fascinating whats going on here! To see that a company like NI is doing wired things is one thing, but a company like avid which supports the professional music business?!?
I am a freak who is working at home with pro tools 9 Hd on a hd3 system and over 100 TDM plugins! So i am not a professional, but i don't want to spend money for the tray! Upgrade to a HDX System with new Omni is about 6000$ !
I looked around because i have over 100 plugs ( eventide, sonnox, mcdsp, soundtoys, urs etc.) and found not much about AAX on their web-sites! ....and
I think this will take a while! ...and no one know how much we have to pay for theese updates ...because TDM does not work on new cards! So my next step is not to make a hardware-exchange to protools hdx but i want to upgrade to mac osx lion! So will there be a ProTools HD 9 fully supporting Mac OSX Lion? Because otherwise the software update to ProTools HD 10 should be much cheaper! ..because if your hardware is as good as you say, you will earn the
Money with the hardware-upgrade! ..when all plugins will really be ready for AAX!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alio 45 View Post
Avid/Matt

After nearly 500 posts on here you still haven't responded to the software upgrade price. This is what everyone is unhappy about.

Last year you told us you were guilty of not listening and that you had changed that. Well .......

Al
As it was said in an other thread, they have passed the information up the ladder. When and if an info is available, they will post it here or in an other format to relay the information to the general public.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-25-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake doc View Post
i was just sold a bundle by of PTHD9, HDnative, and Lynx Aurora8 with the ltHD card in August at VintageKing and you are telling me that I now have to pay 1000 to get to HD10 and my interface is already obsolete after that HD10!!! are you freaking kidding me!

Ive been an HD user for 6 years now with my HD2 setup and a Digi user since 1999 this is just rediculous. I've never had a problem paying for an upgrade but when us HD guys dump 5,000.00 and you dont get any consideration other than 30days on an upgrade that just blows.
I hear you man...

I bought my HD PCI some years ago, then Avid didn't support PPC anymore, unfortunately the newer Macs don't have PCI-X Slots, so I had to buy the totally overpriced PCI->PCIe crossgraded so I could update to 9...spent like 3 grand for the crossgrade in July, now I have to spend another 1k just to upgrade to a software that's a dead end anyways, cause my newly aquired PCIe HD system is obsolete already.
I do need the features in PT10, but 1k for an upgrade that's a dead end anyways? And that only 3 months after I spent 3k to get out of the dead end that PCIX was?
I love working in PT and I used to defend that [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ty company wherever I could, but this is going too far, AVID can [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ing suck it!