Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2013, 12:09 PM

Default HD Omni inputs

hi guys
im upgrading my 003+rack to hd native, iv read that the fan is loud on the omni! is this bareable? i need eight inputs so which hd interface will suit me best?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:30 PM

Default Re: HD Omni inputs

If you need 8 analog inputs, the Omni won't work. It only has 4 analog inputs (you can use 4 digital inputs as well).

So you probably want the HD IO 8x8 instead. And then you'll need to get some kind of monitor controller for volume, mute, etc.

The fans on the Omni are really not loud, you could probably record a few feet away. There's just a very subtle high pitched whine that can go on after a while that can be a little distracting.

A lot of it depends on how and where it's placed.

But as mentioned, you'll need the 8x8 if you want more than 4 analog inputs.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin7 View Post
hi guys
im upgrading my 003+rack to hd native, iv read that the fan is loud on the omni! is this bareable? i need eight inputs so which hd interface will suit me best?
The loud fan problem you mentioned has been fixed with a firmware update. My Mac Pro is louder than my Omni IMHO.

As stated previously though if you need 8 analog i/o you may want to look at 8x8.

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
2.26GHz 8 Core Nehelam 8GB Ram OSX 10.8.5
Old 03-04-2013, 03:16 PM

thanks guys,can i use the adat inputs?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:36 PM

Yes, but again, on the Omni, you're limited to a max of 8 inputs, any combination of analog or digital.

So you could use the 4 channels of analog, and 4 channels of Adat. Or 4 analog, 2 channels of Adat, and 2 channels of Spidf. Or 2 channels of analog, and 6 channels of Adat. And so on.

But you're not going to get more than 8 inputs, regardless of what combination you're using.

If you need more inputs, you'll need the HD IO, which gives you 16 channels of input, any combination. On that, you could use 8 analog ins, and 8 channels of Adat, etc.