Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-18-2009, 01:38 PM

Default Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Hello

I'll soon build an i7 system, but was wondering about purchasing 4gb or 6gb of RAM. Are there reasons to get 6gb even if XP won't be able to use them?

Thanks,
ricalv
Old 05-18-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricalv View Post
Hello

I'll soon build an i7 system, but was wondering about purchasing 4gb or 6gb of RAM. Are there reasons to get 6gb even if XP won't be able to use them?

Thanks,
ricalv
Ahh, the RAM question...

i7 systems utilize DDR3.. triple channel capable. Some boards (such as the Gigabyte EX58-UD3P) utilize a dual channel approach. Most utilize a triple channel. Does triple offer an advantage? Eventually.. probably. Today? In some cases.

Technically speaking, and based on various testing results I have seen, I am ignoring any and all dual channel implementations. To explain fully just why I say that would require time and space. Hit the Nuendo and Cubendo forums.. GS too, but more difficult to dredge it from the incredible number of irrelevant posts. When considering what is said about various technologies, it is good practice to try and find that which pertains directly to DAW/Sequencer type machines and uses, rather than those targeted toward gaming and server types. Ignoring anything is not a good idea, but rather consider it in context and application. IOW, common sense ver2

If you go with a triple channel implementation, then it becomes more interesting. With 32-bit Windows OS's, it can be argued that installing more than 4G of physical RAM can hurt performance (in some cases). Since triple channel utilizes RAM in threes, that means three 1G sticks. Most motherboards (non-server, single CPU) offer 6 slots for RAM in triple channel implementations. Do three 1G now, add three more later; or, go three now, and sell them and replace with six 2G or 4G sticks later (depending on board and budget).

Or... weigh your options with the benefits/*harm* and simply buy six 2G sticks now. Install three, try it, then try all six. Compare, stick with what works best.

BTW- supposedly, it is best to grab DDR3 1600 right now. Higher or lower will affect performance. Also, I have read (in several places) that it is timing that is important, along with the reliability, stability, etc. Be sure the board you pick will support the exact RAM you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatista View Post
Oh no!! well.. apparently I have an 8 pin connector but what is the EPS..?

This is what I have available on the PSU for the Gygabite.

* 1x 20/24-Pin Motherboard Connector
* 1x 4-Pin +12V Motherboard Connector
* 1x 8-Pin EPS Motherboard Power Cable

Any hope? Or I have to shell out more for a PSU now.. ?
here

sunburst thinks the 4 pin will be fine so go for it. will say, and a few members here will agree to, that just because the computer boots does not mean the psu is good. just something to keep in mind.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-18-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Hello

Thanks,
ricalv
ram is SO CHEAP right now, no reason not to get it. we are having no performance issues when running 6gb in the i7 builds. actually i think most of us have 6gb in our machine.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-18-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Hello

Thanks,
ricalv
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Ahh, the RAM question...

i7 systems utilize DDR3.. triple channel capable. Some boards (such as the Gigabyte EX58-UD3P) utilize a dual channel approach. Most utilize a triple channel. Does triple offer an advantage? Eventually.. probably. Today? In some cases.
absolutely go with triple channel mode if the budget allows. i've got a couple of links to some very good reads on page 1 of this thread in my 1st post if one wants to get into the 'how's' of NEHALEM memory

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 05-18-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlearman View Post
Hey guys,

I just saw this "double shell shocker deal" ad come in from newegg, and noticed that 30gig solid state drives are down to about $120. Obviously we still have a way to go until we have 300 - 500 gig ssd's that are "audio drive" worthy. But it just got me wondering what the best way to utilize a drive like this would be in these DAW's. "temporary" audio drive? Sample drive for stuff like BFD?

Any thoughts?
right now we are waiting for performance on the read and write times to improve before we jump into them. the HIGH end ones have some interesting numbers but a bit pricey yet. playing the waiting game, they will come down in price soon.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-18-2009, 05:16 PM

<delurks for first DUC post>

We're looking to buy a PC for our home studio to run ProTools 8 with a 002LE console unit, and have been offered the following specs. Does this look reasonable to people here, given they've quoted us a price of $1950?

Intel i7 920 CPU on Gigabyte EX58-UD4P motherboard with Zalman
CPU cooling solution
3GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM (3 x 1GB, triple-channel mode)
250GB Seagate SATA hard drive (OS)
2 x 1TB Seagate SATA hard drive (audio)
22X Lite-On DVD-RW drive with Lightscribe
ATI Radeon 4650 dual-DVI output silent video card
Antec Take 4 4U rackmount case w/ 650 watt power supply
Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse
Microsoft Windows XP Home installed and on CD

Feedback from those who know more than I do would be appreciated. Most of what we'd be recording is a singer-songwriter, so there woudn't be huge mega-track arrangements, though I'm sure we'll have several plug-ins running.

Thanks
<heads back to reading and learning and lurking>
Old 05-18-2009, 06:49 PM

Given the issues others have posted about for Seagate drives, I would recommend swapping them for Western Digital Caviar Black SATA II drives with a 32 mb cache.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-18-2009, 08:57 PM

Hi,
I posted earlier about getting a ready made i7 HP PC earlier here and was told it might be a better idea to build a custom one, so I went to Microcenter and put a list for a possible build, please let me know if it sounds ok for PT 8 /003.

Motherboard: Asus P6t6 Deluxe (i7 processor 920)
Ram: 6 gb (I know XP Pro would max at 4GB so this is a future precaution since maybe sometime next yr Pro tools might go 64 bit as well)

Graphics Card: ATI HD 4670 Card

Hard Drive: Samsung 1 TB HD103UJ Hard Drive,
Another Samsung 500 GB or smaller HD

PC Power and cooling ( 750 W PSU)

All in all this setup is going to cost me around $1200 without tax and they offer 3 yr warranty on their setup for $170 i think. Please let me know if this looks like a fast setup for pro tools 8/ 003 and I believe Asus P6t6 already has firewire installed (please correct me if im wrong) and if for OS i should stick with XP Pro or go for Vista 32 bit? Thanks a lot guys :)
Old 05-18-2009, 10:13 PM

guaranteed D0 stepping on the i7

the voltages are smokin'!!! as low as .80v VCORE

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff