Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-1999, 07:17 PM

Default Disk I/O, Farm problemo......please help!!

have taken over a studio which runs a pt3 system 266G3 Desktop, 288Mb Ram, 1x9Gb Seagate SCSI, 1x4 Gig IDE, 1 x 882/20.
Couple of queries:-
To add a second HD to access 32 voices would it be correct to assume i need another farm and another i/o?
Would an upgrade to a faster G3 be advisable?
What ram should i allocate to protools and dae and OS?
Is it feasible to store half completed sessions on the Mac ide drive and then move them back to the scsi to complete them?
Thanx in advance......
you guys seem to know the score..hope you can help me out....
Old 10-07-1999, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Disk I/O, Farm problemo......please help!!

db8

To get 32 voices with a Pro Tools III system your going to need 2 Disk I/O audio cards and 2 DSP Farms and your G3 266 desktop CPU should work well with this setup.

Pro Tools preferred memory should be set to @30-35k. DAE preferred memory should be set to @35k-40k. Pro Tools and DAE minimum memory setting should be left at it's default. You can confirm this by entering a zero into the minimum field and pressing enter on the keyboard, this will default the minimum memory setting. DAE's playback buffer size (Finder/DAE/File Menu/Set Playback Buffer Size) should be set to what hardware you own. In your case zero. The cashe setting in the memory control panel should be set to 512k or lower.

Storing sessions on the internal IDE drive should not pose a problem. If your going to do this on a regular basis I would set up a partition on the drive for the audio files and keep the MAC OS and software applications on another partition.

Brad
Old 10-10-1999, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Disk I/O, Farm problemo......please help!!

thanks Brad...
i thought i would have to add another 2 cards....will have to wait a couple of months though...problem is that every company i phone just wants to sell me pt24 stuff...locating pt3 gear at a good price is proving difficult..i'm in the UK............ will search on though.thanks again
db8