Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 04-11-2013, 06:11 AM

Default RTAS to AAX Wrapper?

The discussions here about concerns of which 3rd party plug-in manufacturers will provide AAX versions got me wondering if there might be some kind of RTAS to AAX wrapper that could be developed, along the lines of the old FXpansion VST to RTAS wrapper? We've had discussion in these forums about VST to AAX wrapper and one that Sugar Bytes had developed, but got pulled over licensing issues with Avid. But could a VST/RTAS to AAX wrapper be possible? And would that solve a lot of the concerns?

Old 04-11-2013, 06:25 AM

Default Re: RTAS to AAX Wrapper?

Will 32 bit AAX work in 64bit Pro Tools? I know other DAW applications allows it but will it work in Pro Tools?
Old 04-11-2013, 06:36 AM

other daw that comes to mind was logic, and for you to use the 32 bit tools you had to close logic and restart it in 32 bit mode. Then apparently cubase or nuendo had some kind of jbridge or something like that but that was a lot more trouble with stability. So I hope it's no. I don't want an unstable pro tools in front of my clients.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-11-2013, 06:46 AM

i've been hearing rumors that fxpansion is/will be developing an rtas to aax adapter. just a rumor though.

at some point avid will have to green light sugar bytes transvst.

for now i'm using nomad factory's mfx magma, which is already aax and audiosuite, for my vst needs but i basically only use it for one plugin...nebula. i've also heard that magma will eventually host rtas plugins. just another rumor at this point.

regards,
marco
Old 04-11-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboman01 View Post
Will 32 bit AAX work in 64bit Pro Tools? I know other DAW applications allows it but will it work in Pro Tools?
Pro Tools 11 supports only 64 Bit AAX.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...nts&popup=true
Old 04-11-2013, 07:33 AM

Pro-Tools-Expert has just posted responses about AAX from some companies.

Of interest is the response from FXpansion about a VST-RTAS wrapper:

Fxpansion

1) All current and available (as of 2nd half 2013) RTAS instruments & effects will be ported to 64-bit AAX Native.

We have no plans to support AAX DSP.

2) No upgrade fees will be charged for 64-bit AAX specifically. But if you have an older version of a product, you may need to upgrade to the newest in order to get AAX.

3) We won’t be porting old and unsupported products like GURU (you need to upgrade to Geist), or any Lite/OEM versions, or old freeware/magware like Orca and GeistCM, or anything older than the current version at the time the AAX64 upgrade ships. Avid have not authorized us (or any other developer) to port the VST-RTAS wrapper.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:40 AM

I know there's nothing currently available in the form of a VST/RTAS to AAX wrapper. But it sure would be great if we could get one, like Sugar Bytes or other. The 32bit to 64bit could be an issue in developing it, though.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
I know there's nothing currently available in the form of a VST/RTAS to AAX wrapper. But it sure would be great if we could get one, like Sugar Bytes or other. The 32bit to 64bit could be an issue in developing it, though.
Don't hold your breath - it's bad business for AVID. You don't undermine your own product standard (or allow anyone else to). What's the point of developing it if you do.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Don't hold your breath - it's bad business for AVID. You don't undermine your own product standard (or allow anyone else to). What's the point of developing it if you do.
I don't see how having a wrapper undermines the AVID product standard. The purpose of having a wrapper software is get other companies products to the standard, AAX in this case. It might also help you pick up customers that you might otherwise not get.

As you may know, Propellerhead held out for years with opening up Reason to 3rd party plugins. But with 6.5 they added Rack Extensions, and many developers have created some dynamite stuff to add to the Reason rack. Still has to conform to the Reason rack standard. Having RE's didn't undermine Reason in any way. If anything, it made them more popular.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:37 AM

a wrapper would allow poorly done plugs to be used potential comprising satiability

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig