Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2013, 03:48 PM

Default The I/O Layout of the Audio hardware has been...HELP!

Why I'm getting this almost every time I lunch Pro Tools 11?

"The I/O Layout of the Audio Hardware has been changed by another application. Pro Tools will now close and reopen the session in order to update to the new settings. Do you want to save the session before closing?"

I'm using a Scarlett 18i20 and what I do after closing the session, I turn off the Scarlett and Close Pro Tools 11 then turn the Scarlett on again, and then open Pro Tools 11. Pro Tools opens fine, but when I choose a session the message above appears and to be honest, I don't know what the problem is because sometimes i can open the very same session with no problems. So, I need your help. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance for all your help.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:03 PM

Default Re: The I/O Layout of the Audio hardware has been...HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermonmusic View Post
Why I'm getting this almost every time I lunch Pro Tools 11?

"The I/O Layout of the Audio Hardware has been changed by another application. Pro Tools will now close and reopen the session in order to update to the new settings. Do you want to save the session before closing?"

I'm using a Scarlett 18i20 and what I do after closing the session, I turn off the Scarlett and Close Pro Tools 11 then turn the Scarlett on again, and then open Pro Tools 11. Pro Tools opens fine, but when I choose a session the message above appears and to be honest, I don't know what the problem is because sometimes i can open the very same session with no problems. So, I need your help. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance for all your help.
I'm using a Scarlett 18i20 and what I do after closing the session, I turn off the Scarlett and Close Pro Tools 11 then turn the Scarlett on again, and then open Pro Tools 11.

That could be the source of some of your problems...

Here is the proper order of events:
  1. Turn on interface
  2. Turn on computer
  3. Do stuff
  4. Turn off computer
  5. Turn off interface
While USB is theoretically plug 'n play, in reality, audio interfaces aren't quite as forgiving as a camera or a flash drive.

By turning on the interface first, you are allowing the computer to completely examine the device, load the proper driver, etc.

If the computer is running and you turn off (or unplug) a USB audio interface, then turn the USB audio interface back on, things sometimes don't get "c'nected back" right.

Good luck...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 11-07-2013, 08:30 AM

Thank you very much for your advice. I will follow the steps you told me and let you know the results.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:40 PM

Default Avid fail

I've tried everything and nothing has worked. It really sucks. I often have session with several huge sample libraries such as EWQL Pianos and it takes three minutes just to load, only to say it needs to close and re-open... and again and again and again. Usually on the third or fourth try the "auto" re-configure is complete. It's ridiculous and tedious. It takes me ten minutes just to get a darn session open.

It makes me miss PT8 when any session would just open up and figure out all the playback and I/O settings. There was no special boot order required.

My admittedly older setup, although I've heard this still happens with new computers and new interfaces. I'd love to hear from someone using PT 11 with zero issues and what computer / interface they have.

early2008 Mac Pro
Mavericks 10.9.3
Digi002 (w/ Digi003 family drivers)
Pro Tools 11.latest
Old 06-16-2014, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Avid fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkbross View Post
I've tried everything and nothing has worked. It really sucks. I often have session with several huge sample libraries such as EWQL Pianos and it takes three minutes just to load, only to say it needs to close and re-open... and again and again and again. Usually on the third or fourth try the "auto" re-configure is complete. It's ridiculous and tedious. It takes me ten minutes just to get a darn session open.

It makes me miss PT8 when any session would just open up and figure out all the playback and I/O settings. There was no special boot order required.

My admittedly older setup, although I've heard this still happens with new computers and new interfaces. I'd love to hear from someone using PT 11 with zero issues and what computer / interface they have.

early2008 Mac Pro
Mavericks 10.9.3
Digi002 (w/ Digi003 family drivers)
Pro Tools 11.latest
Must say that on the system in my sig file I've never had the issues being talked about here. I sometimes get a communication lost message with my 11 Rack when opening a PT11 session but audio passes back and forth between the iMac and 11R no problem. The only thing that doesn't show is the 11R window in the bar across the top of the Edit window. Doesn't really bother me as you need the standalone 11R editor anyways in PT11.

My power up sequence is: rack power strip which powers up the MIDI interface, monitor speakers, keyboards & synths and 11 Rack, UPS which has my USB2 hub, external hard drives and computer (computer not on yet), and when the drives have finished powering up finally the computer gets started. Three switches - rack power strip, UPS, computer. The only thing I don't regularly power up are the backup drives - those I start as necessary and OSX has no issues seeing them.

QAPLA!
Old 05-24-2016, 10:44 AM

This JUST started happening to me. I'm running PT 11 on Yosemite and have been for over a year now. What changed is that I switched from an M-Box 2 Pro to a brand new Focusrite Saffire PRO 24. Also - this issue started occurring about 2 weeks after I started using the interface, not right away. Firmware is updated, software is installed - I'm not running any other audio software. Also potentially related is that the issue first occurred when I was using a MaxMSP standalone while PT was open. I assumed that this is what caused the issue, and was surprised and disappointing to see that the issue continued the next time I booted up PT. I cannot keep dealing with this - there must be a fix! I'm guessing some default somewhere has been skewed.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:

I have just installed Pro Tools Ultimate 19.5.0.322 and was hoping to resolve the issue. I will need to trash preferences and see if that helps. It could be one of my plugins causing conflict. I suspect this because no other application is open as the error states so it must be some auxiliary application causing a conflict.

It eventually boots Pro Tools and works it out somehow.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:

I have just installed Pro Tools Ultimate 19.5.0.322 and was hoping to resolve the issue. I will need to trash preferences and see if that helps. It could be one of my plugins causing conflict. I suspect this because no other application is open as the error states so it must be some auxiliary application causing a conflict.

It eventually boots Pro Tools and works it out somehow.