Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2009, 08:06 AM

Default Bounce problem, CDs playing back slow???

I saw someone posted a problem that seemed like it might be similar to this, but there wasn't any info there about how it was fixed, so I thought I'd post it to see if anyone can help.

As a disclaimer, it seems that my problem is related to a sync issue, and I'm not very knowledgeable on sync issues and concepts so bear with me.

Okay, I did a session in PT 8 and the session was set for 24/44.1. Throughout the whole process, I had the 003 rack synced via word clock to a Rosetta 200. Also in the digital chain is a Digimax LT. But again, the word clock from the Rosetta is the master.

EDIT: by the way, the computer specs at the bottom of this post are wrong, those are the specs for my setup at home, but I'm at my studio now which is much different. I don't know the exact specs, but its a Mac Pro with a bunch of RAM, bunch of hard drives, bunch of pretty much everything.

I bounced down the mix (and I tried this about every way I could think, 16/44.1, 24/44.1, even 24/48) and when I burn a CD of the mix, it plays back slow.

I've burned CDs of this mix from Waveburner and iTunes and in both cases the mix plays correctly within the software, but when I burn it and take the CD to a CD player, it plays back slow.

In troubleshooting, I've tried changing my master clock from word clock to internal and in each case I've bounced down in multiple formats (WAV, AIFF) at multiple bit depths/sample rates. Nothing has changed the fact that the CDs are playing back slow.

Any ideas? Any more info that I could give that might help troubleshoot this?

thanks,
Steve

Last edited by swethington; 02-10-2009 at 08:15 AM. Reason: edit: computer specs
Old 02-10-2009, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Bounce problem, CDs playing back slow???

So, here's a little more info. This might contradict some of what I originally posted, but I'm so confused by all this that I don't know what's up and down anymore. So, sorry if I'm confusing things here.

When I set the clock to be internal, the song is playing back slow from within PT. However, when I set it to word clock (with the Rosetta as the master) it plays back fine, but only when the Rosetta is set to 48k. The session is at 44.1!!??!?! If word clock is the master with the Rosetta set at 44.1, it plays back slow. Did I somehow screw this all up when I was tracking? If I set the PT session to be 44.1 but set the clock on the Rosetta to be 48 (which would be incredibly stupid if that's what I actually did), would that explain what is happening here?

If that is the problem, is there a way within Pro Tools to change the sample rate? I looked around the menus and preferences and couldn't find anything but I could easily be missing something. If not, what can I do? Any help is really appreciated.

thanks,
Steve
Old 02-10-2009, 10:04 AM

Hopefully someone will chime in with better insight than I. There is a utility somewhere out there that will let you edit meta data in the headers of your wave file. That has resolved this issue for some.

You might try importing the audio tracks into a new session using the internal clock and sample rate converting the files.

You could also record the audio out to an analog recorder and then import that file to get the mix at the right sample rate.

Most only have this happen to them once! It happened because your clock settings were different from your session settings. PITA!
Old 02-10-2009, 10:29 AM

I finally fixed it, and I think you're right in saying that my clock settings were different from my session settings. I can say that if nothing else, I learned my lesson. I'm sure I'll always look at the settings on the Rosetta about 1000 times before I start doing any actual recording next time. Dumb oversight on my part.

To 'fix' it, I did exactly what you ended up suggesting, making a new session importing the audio files, etc. I think I unchecked the sample rate conversion option, and everything works fine now. Christ....

the funny thing is that I got so used to hearing the song slow that I almost like it better that way now. hearing it play back properly, it sounds too fast!

thanks for your help,
Steve