Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2013, 05:52 AM

Default Re: Why does Pro Tools suck so much??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
All these unhappy customers.How can you run a business like that.
Easy. By having happy customers that out number unhappy customers by around 500 to 1.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
Easy. By having happy customers that out number unhappy customers by around 500 to 1.
Right!

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-16-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Right!
And I was lowballing.

Fact of the matter is a very very small percentage of Pro Tools users post on the DUC, and of that small number a very very small percentage are unhappy.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
And I was lowballing.
Actually I was going to say that, but decided your number makes the point.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-16-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
i should not complain ...my setup works 99% of the time.Avid did help me get going and were very nice.I just think there should be more upfront info before the purchase is made for those people who are not pros and want to get into PT'S
I'm sorry, but how hard is it to actually read a website?

Just for the sake of it, even though I do loath their search engine on their website, I did input this simple line. Pro tools 10 system requirements into the search engine of avid's website. Low and behold it gave me a couple of search results, the second being pro tools 10.3 system requirements. Clicked on it and you got every information you need on what type of computer you need. Even gives you links to authorized computers.

A simple read of the page Pro tools 10 software would have revealed to you that you needed the Ilok.

I'm not sure where you bought your version, and if you were not told you needed it upfront, then you could probably get a discount in store to get one. But every stores I know of, actually have the ilok listed as needed to run the program on their website.

So basically it's a matter of doing proper research first. I'm sure you wouldn't buy a car without actually looking at the specs online would you? Avid was upfront. the requirements are on their website and really not hard to find. So saying that they were not is BS. Now on the other hand, if your dealer didn't tell you.. we'll then maybe your blames should be placed on that store?

Wave-T.com
Old 02-18-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 Madman View Post
I bought Pro Tools 10 like a month ago and still have never been able to open the program.

If it aint one thing its the other. After I thought I had finally fixed any and all probs, today it told me I had no iLok. [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]. Uninstalled and reinstalled, now it doesn't recognize my hardware.

Please don't tell me to pay to ask for help. That is stupid. I already paid for the program that doesn't even work. No customer support.... No tech support... Why does pro tools suck so damn much??
ABRAKADABRA! It should work now.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 02-18-2013, 06:11 PM

I have zero problems with PT 10. I really like it too, far and away my favorite of the five DAWs I am familiar with. The others almost never get opened.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:59 AM

From someone who has used Cubase for many years and now using Protools 10 for about 8 months, because I wanted to work on a new platform learn something new I can give you my honest opinion on PT. First my computer specs so people can see that I have the "right" computer for the job

Mac Pro - 2.93GHZ Quad core, 10GB ram running OX10 "snow lep"
this is a dedicated machine for my studio only so no other uses to bog things down.

1. After reading for years prior to purchasing PT how much of an unstable program it is and how the support sucks at AVID, i decided that if I were to purchase PT 10 it had to be through a dealer that would support it and be of help if I had a ton of issues. So my sales rep at Sweetwater.com told me that they support PT for life and if they cant figure out the issue they have a line into the tech at AVID and would ensure me that I would receive stellar support. That made me feel better and I did purchase it form them. I had a little trouble getting it up and running and when I called my sales rep, he was extremely knowledgeable and helped me resolve my issue s so they did live up to their "support claim".

2. After using PT10 for all my current projects to really give it the road test, it's clear to me that CUbase is a far more stable program. I have only had Cubase crash twice in almost 5 years of using the program. PT on the other had crashes much more feq and thank god for the auto save every 2 min as it has saved my ass a few times.

3. When using plugs in Cubase, the CPU performance meter barely blips and never reaches more than 20%. PT, using the same 3rd party plugs and the their versions of the stock Cubase plugs runs at 40%-50%. So I cant use nearly as many instances in PT as with Cubase.

As of this point, those are my two biggest gripes about PT. The program is not as "solid" as Cubase 5 for me. Having said that I do have many more years of Cubase experience so I am still learning the in's and out's of PT.

Now, some of the things I like about PT over Cubase 5.......

1. The very first thing is because that PT is still the industry standard and probably has 75% of the market, there is a ton of great training sites and You Tube video to help you learn new tips and tricks and to resolve issues. Cubase does not have nearly as much community support in that way. So I love that.

2. I do like the user interface of PT better and things like the "smart tool" and "focus tools" as they really speed up work flow.

3. On all 3rd party plugins that I own, they have a lot more factory presets in the plug in PT which is great to get a good starting point with an EQ or Compressor. When using those same 3rd party plugs in Cubase there are no presets.....no sure why that is but that's the case on my system.

4. There seems to be a lot more "tools" in PT than cubase with things like Beat Decitive, Elastic audio etc...In Cubase they have some tools like that but they dont work nearly as well or are as intuitive.

Again, I am a new PT user and those are my original thoughts. I will say that I still hear and read all over the internet on how the AVID support sucks and people have all kinds of issues with PT, regardless of the version they are using. I am still surprised that PT is has such a strong hold on the market even though other companies are now putting out great and stable DAW's....but they do. I guess it's like Windows vs Mac. In the business world the PC has and probably always have the most of the market place as Windows has become the "norm" for the business community. although in reality, Macs operating system is far more stable and far out performs any Windows based computer in my opinion. I dont ever see a TV commercial saying that if your computer is slow then buy this program to clean it up......LOL I have an imac from 2009 and 4 years later it runs asfast as the day I purchased it, never crashes and no need to upgrade. Try that with a windows based machine!! LOL

Anyway, thanks for letting me post my opinions!

have a great day everyone!
Old 02-20-2013, 05:44 AM

Default Why does Pro Tools suck so much??

That's an idea scale post

- were just users here - if Cuebase is ur bag man then go with it

Edit in 10/19/2018

I reread your post and I change my tone, noblesse oblige
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.

Last edited by YYR123; 10-19-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 Madman View Post
I bought Pro Tools 10 like a month ago and still have never been able to open the program.
It would help if you told us what hardware you're using.

If you're using it with your computer's audio I/O, did you install ASIO4ALL?
If not, that would prevent PT from loading.

As for the iLok... maybe it went bad???