Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 08:18 AM

Default Latency through outboard gear

PT LE (5.x and 6.2.3), 001, G4 800

Clearly, sending a track through a piece of outboard gear will induce some latency. And so will just sending a signal out and bringing it back with no outboard equipement in the way. But here's the million dollar question: will it be the SAME AMOUNT of latency?

I'd like to have a processed (outboard gear) track and an unprocessed version of the same track, and I'm thinking that I can avoid any latency induced phasing problems by just sending the unprocessed track out and back, so it's getting the same D/A/D lag time.

Sorry for reposting this, but my last post got zero responses, and it may have been a bit unclear.

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Latency through outboard gear

O.K. u gotta bear with me here...
Its not the same amount of latency. The reason for this is because the signal has to pass through the outboard gear which means going through the AD/DA converters and of course the the processing of the signal itself.

What you can do though is calculate the amt of latency introduced by the hardware insert.
here's how u do it, Make an aux track and pull up a click. Then make an audio track, (stereo or mono) and buss the output of the click track to the input of the audio track. Print/Record the track itself for about 10 or 20 seconds. Now that you have this audio printed Make a new audio track (stereo or mono). Go to your printed click track and insert the piece of hardware on one of the inserts. (choose i/o-choose whatever channels your using to patch the outboard gear into [make sure it has the same inputs and outputs])

Now buss the output of the printed click track (with hardware inserted) to the input of your new audio track
Print the audio...(record)
Now use your magnification tool to zoom all the way to analyze the transients and set your grid mode to either samples (1 sample) or miliseconds (1 miliseconds).
Now you can calculate the latency of the hardware insert using basic deductive math by looking at the amt of space between the 1st transient of the click on both tracks .

After this you can nudge the track with the hardware insert accordingly by using the + or - keys by your number pad. Make sure to set the nudge values low enough so you can nudge them accurately.

I hope this helps you man it worked for me.
Sometimes if you look in the manual of your hardware it shows the processing latency delay times but this is more accurate.

Cheers, Marcus...