Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 03-14-2013, 08:41 AM

Default Digisnake for install

Wondering if everyone is still using 2 sets (primary and backup) for Venue installs. I understand for touring, but for fixed install, wondering if it's necessary to do main AND backup cables. I'll have VSD2001 cable going thru conduit. I've never had a fixed install Venue switch cables during a show, except when I disconnect primary link during training to show how it switches.

Thoughts?
Old 03-14-2013, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Digisnake for install

Always better to have what you don't need then not have what you do. And yes you can quote me....:)
Old 03-14-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fahy View Post
Always better to have what you don't need then not have what you do. And yes you can quote me....:)
I often use that exact phrase. Also, there's nothing wrong with having a spare. You never know when someone will show up and insist on setting another console up

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-15-2013, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I often use that exact phrase. Also, there's nothing wrong with having a spare. You never know when someone will show up and insist on setting another console up
Or more importantly, when someone needs to run TWO Stage racks for 96 inputs. I would set up 8 cables for install :)
Old 03-15-2013, 10:03 PM

Here is an alternate snake I have made using 2 x CAT6 F/UTP for one of our touring Profiles. It has also been tested on a theater's installed CAT5e lines as well.....

Hit me up if you'd like more info.

Caveat: AVID does not qualify or condone it's use, I use @ my own risk.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshop View Post
Here is an alternate snake I have made using 2 x CAT6 F/UTP for one of our touring Profiles. It has also been tested on a theater's installed CAT5e lines as well.....

Hit me up if you'd like more info.

Caveat: AVID does not qualify or condone it's use, I use @ my own risk.

Looking nice and as if it was made by the manufacturer! Tell us more!
Old 03-19-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
Looking nice and as if it was made by the manufacturer! Tell us more!
The 'secret sauce' is behind the metalwork, however I can talk about the cable in more detail.

up to 50' - Any standard CAT5e or CAT6 cable construction, 4 pair UTP or STP, solid BC or stranded, 24AWG or 23AWG, CAT5e or CAT6 compliant jacks and plugs.

50' to 200' - Any standard CAT5e or CAT6 cable construction, 4 pair UTP or STP, solid BC, 24AWG or 23AWG, CAT5e or CAT6 compliant jacks and plugs.

200' to 300' - Any standard CAT6 cable construction, 4 pair F/UTP or STP or S/FTP, solid BC, 24AWG or 23AWG, CAT6 compliant jacks and plugs.

Max TP cable distance between converters is 300'. The sweetspot max length is 250' concerning margins for s/n, x-talk, and attenuation. In contrast with ethernet for example, it is worth mentioning that 100m(328') horizontal network segments have a specified max (non-zero) bit-error-rate (BER). Ordinary 10/100/1000 Mbit networks can deal with this non-zero BER, whereas the Venue snake circuit (serial data link) will not tolerate BER's of a certain level above zero (ideally should be zero). This is handled by the CRC circuit in the Venue snake.

All category cable should have a pair lay and pair termination equal to TIA/EIA 568B.

Coax jumper cables:
Belden 1505A or equivalent, 36 inches max.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshop View Post
The 'secret sauce' is behind the metalwork, however I can talk about the cable in more detail.

up to 50' - Any standard CAT5e or CAT6 cable construction, 4 pair UTP or STP, solid BC or stranded, 24AWG or 23AWG, CAT5e or CAT6 compliant jacks and plugs.

50' to 200' - Any standard CAT5e or CAT6 cable construction, 4 pair UTP or STP, solid BC, 24AWG or 23AWG, CAT5e or CAT6 compliant jacks and plugs.

200' to 300' - Any standard CAT6 cable construction, 4 pair F/UTP or STP or S/FTP, solid BC, 24AWG or 23AWG, CAT6 compliant jacks and plugs.

Max TP cable distance between converters is 300'. The sweetspot max length is 250' concerning margins for s/n, x-talk, and attenuation. In contrast with ethernet for example, it is worth mentioning that 100m(328') horizontal network segments have a specified max (non-zero) bit-error-rate (BER). Ordinary 10/100/1000 Mbit networks can deal with this non-zero BER, whereas the Venue snake circuit (serial data link) will not tolerate BER's of a certain level above zero (ideally should be zero). This is handled by the CRC circuit in the Venue snake.

All category cable should have a pair lay and pair termination equal to TIA/EIA 568B.

Coax jumper cables:
Belden 1505A or equivalent, 36 inches max.
Thanks for the info! Would be nice to know what happens behind the metalwork
But considering that the max snake length of such system isn't that long and Cat6 cable must be used, what is that makes it worthwhile for you to make and use this conversion?
Old 03-20-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
Thanks for the info! Would be nice to know what happens behind the metalwork
But considering that the max snake length of such system isn't that long and Cat6 cable must be used, what is that makes it worthwhile for you to make and use this conversion?
Good, Fast, Cheap.....pick two

Good - high quality, high build quality, solid design
Fast - high performance, (may have wide bandwidth and high speed, resulting in longer cable length)
Cheap - low cost in hardware, cable and deployment (may have limited bandwidth and speed, resulting in shorter cable length)

No doubt, coax and fiber are the only way to go if you need Good and Fast. With coax RG6 the spec is out to 500', and with using the approved and qualified RME MADI media converters many thousands of feet are possible.

As an alternate snake, CAT5e/6 opens some interesting options for me. It falls under Good and Cheap, competitive pricewise with same length coax (some coax). For touring or installation, it gives advantages in less cable (weight & diameter or conduit fill respectively). Additionally, the CAT5e/6 cable can be deployed for other duties as well. How about 4 pairs of AES3 in one shielded CAT5e? How about analog audio along with component video in one CAT5e? If your shop is into multi-purposing cable, this is the way to go.

Here is a short list of CAT5e/6 uses:

M**as/KT AES50/51
S****craft Vi prop. MADI over CAT5e
D***co prop. MADI over CAT5e
Y***ha CL Dante
Link DigiLink
Venue Stage 48 (AVB)
Venue over CAT5e/6 (not approved)
Ethersound
Cobranet
Dante
AVB - many manufacturers on board
BvNet
10/100/1000/10G ethernet (10G CAT6 55m max)
VoIP

AES3
AES3id with baluns
SPDIF with baluns
composite and component video with baluns
SDI
HDMI w/ active electronics
Word Clock with baluns
RS485
DMX
MIDI
CAN Bus
Balanced Analog audio (mic & line level) 4 channel snake
RTS balanced comm
GPIO signaling

and the list goes on.......
Old 04-12-2013, 03:10 PM

Adding to the above list of 'uses for CAT5e/6 cables'.....

From Prolight+Sound 2013, RME launches new product with media conversion to and from twisted pair on RJ45's. MADI, AES3, and ADAT over twisted pair....

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_index_new_products.php

Also, my converters shown above are currently running on 2 x 300' of LK CAT6 UTP. The LK cable is outstanding, if you need it.