Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2006, 03:19 PM

Default Re: ACPI? We don\'t need no stinking ACPI. . . .

Also, I've not had any problems with the uber-hotness display. I didn't even notice the glare until someone on here pointed it out- imagine what I though when people were saying they had to "powder their nose" until I got that!

I've not had any glare issues, but to each their own. My lighting is probably different.

C

PS - is it not possible to post images? Probably a user thing. . .

We need Jules running things here! Of course the server would be too busy half the time!
Old 04-10-2006, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Well I decided to make the leap and get the E1705. I do agree it's one hella of a machine. I decided to get the 2GHz Duo Core Processor with the free 1GB mem, 80GB 7200 RPM HD. Got Media Center cuz I didn't want to pay the xtra $150 for XP PRO plus I had copies of them already. NOW, here is my issue, I've installed XP PRO on a separate partition. I was able to use a Dell XP PRO Disc with SP2 for install. I don't see in my device manager the place to disable the ACPI there. I'm wondering if it has to do with the DEll Disc. I did do a standard PC install on this. Right now in ProTools 7 it only shows one processor when it should say two. Just wondering what I'm doing wrong. If anybody can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it as I know this laptop will work. Thanks. Oh yeah, I have a MBox hooked up to it. Haven't tried my 002Rack yet. Thanks for the help in advance.
I believe you might need to use some web drivers to get the ACPI to show up correctly. I don't believe the Dell stuff for laptops will show up right unless it's an XP Pro disc made especially for the E1705. I had to download all of my drivers seperately and sneakernet them over on CDR from my (now old) main machine. You shouldn't have any problems after that. Once it's up and running with everything recognized, you can go into the device manager and disable things.

I also went into BIOS and changed the power management modes: not very power efficient for my "fun" partition but certainly doesn't hurt my XP Pro "Work" partition.

Hopefully this helps:

[image]http://www.cheshireomnimedia.com/images/DeviceManagerE1705.JPG[/image]
Hi Chadly, thanks for the response. Your one of the reasaons why i got this laptop so I'm glad I'm hearing from you. So where exactly would I get these drivers at on the net? Also, do you think if i used a non Dell XP Pro sp 2 disc it would have the ACPI drivers on there or I would still have to get online to get them. But otherwise, your right I'm loving my laptop. Got a hella good deal on it and I know once I shake this problem I will all good.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:37 PM

Quote:

Hi Chadly, thanks for the response. Your one of the reasaons why i got this laptop so I'm glad I'm hearing from you. So where exactly would I get these drivers at on the net? Also, do you think if i used a non Dell XP Pro sp 2 disc it would have the ACPI drivers on there or I would still have to get online to get them. But otherwise, your right I'm loving my laptop. Got a hella good deal on it and I know once I shake this problem I will all good.
As far whether ACPI drivers are on the standard XP Pro SP2 disc, I really couldn't tell you to be honest. I'm talking out my ***** on this as I've never had to deal with a laptop before this one, so take all of this with a grain of salt!

I know I had to slipstream an old Gold installation disk (see a page or two ago about slipstreaming, it's not hard to do but it's hard to explain) and I don't remember if I compiled that in it or if I sneakernetted it over on a CDR. I'm pretty for certain it was on a CDR, and if I remember it was found under "chipset" drivers at the following link.

My advice: make sure all of your devices are "found" and use the right drivers- then disable them: you might have to make a few downloads from the other categories found in the link below.

http://support.dell.com/support/down...&os=WW1&osl=EN

Best of luck!
Old 04-11-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:

As far whether ACPI drivers are on the standard XP Pro SP2 disc, I really couldn't tell you to be honest. I'm talking out my ***** on this as I've never had to deal with a laptop before this one, so take all of this with a grain of salt!

I know I had to slipstream an old Gold installation disk (see a page or two ago about slipstreaming, it's not hard to do but it's hard to explain) and I don't remember if I compiled that in it or if I sneakernetted it over on a CDR. I'm pretty for certain it was on a CDR, and if I remember it was found under "chipset" drivers at the following link.

My advice: make sure all of your devices are "found" and use the right drivers- then disable them: you might have to make a few downloads from the other categories found in the link below.

Best of luck!
Thanks for the feedback. Let me see if I can find those drivers and go from there. I'll advise later of my findings.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Best of luck!
Thanks for the feedback. Let me see if I can find those drivers and go from there. I'll advise later of my findings.
Hey Chadly, got it worked out. I had to reinstall the O.S. normally (without doing F5 to install Standard PC) so it would show the ACPI drivers. I think at this point you can't do a standard p.c. install for this multi-core processor. At least I couldn't as it wasn't even showing my duo core processor in the device mangager. So now what I gotta do tonite is do the DAW tweaks and I'm all set. Thanks for the help and hopefully nobody eles gets stuck like I did.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Best Laptops for PTLE

Is there any official word on the Dell E1505s or E1705s and PT compatibility? I found a place where I can get a Gateway AMD 3700 for about $750, but if these Dell's work with PT, then I'm thinking strongly of getting one of them instead because they have dual core processors, which would most likely increase performance with PT 7, and they don't cost that much more than that Gateway would.

However, if there are issues, I really don't want to spend a whole lot of time and money fixing problems.

Thanks.
evanbradford.com
clearlakerecordingstudios.com
feverrecording.com
Old 04-15-2006, 12:12 PM

Default Core Duo Usability?

Hi All,
As many here I'm now building a Core Duo 1.87ghz rig with 945GM.

However this seems to be very early product for reliable PT usability.

PT7 with no additional plug-ins gets HW errors all the time.

I've read about the Standard PC use but with Dual Core machines this is plain wasteful. the machine will be less efficient for anything else but PT.

Instead of having the ACPI to Uniproc or Standard PC I suggest for the mean time to launch PT with the use of 1 processor & in the task manager (Right click on the tasks bar --> Task Manager) change Pro ToolsLE.exe (right click) Set Affinity... to CPU 0 (uncheck CPU 1).

However something with the dual support on those machines is definitely wrong.

This machine I have here is Clevo (clevo.com.tw which is used by other us companies with their brand) and except different ACPI Battery usage there is nothing they can change in the design.
I'm using Mbox 2 as hardware (and the guy the computer is built for will be using his Mbox 1 I've also tried)
so I'm going through the 945GM chipset all the way (no FW hardware).

Anyone got tips to those machines?
Any reliable PT experience from users with the MacBook Pros?
Old 04-16-2006, 06:27 PM

Default Performance

Hi there folks!
Did the Davec II test today on my P4 3.2 Ghz and what the &%¤#?. Look at the results! What is this? Something must be very wrong!? Can someone plz help me
Thank you

PT Rig: PT v6.4 and 001
CPU: 1x P4 3.2 GHz
Laptop: No
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000
Front Side Bus: 800MHz
Hyper Threading: OFF
Memory: 2Gb dual channel
Drives: 1 IDE Boot 7200RPM, 2 Seagate SATA 120GB 7200 rpm
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Tracks: Davec II test I: !!8 tracks!!
Old 04-16-2006, 11:59 PM

So I've read everything about the E1705s, and I'm strongly considering purchasing an E1505 (assuming they're the same only with a smaller screen).

However, I was wondering if anyone had any DaveC results with PT 7, and how these would compare to the Gateway laptops built around the AMD 3700s and 4000s. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
evanbradford.com
clearlakerecordingstudios.com
feverrecording.com
Old 04-17-2006, 03:05 PM

OK,some updates.

One MAJOR thing with the Dual Core FIX (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896256)

YOU MUST ADD THE TO THE REGISTRY THE KEY "Throttle" AS DESCRIBED.

After initial checks it seems that it make this machine functional. I'll check it further and update.

Standard PC install isn't that smart for Dual Core with PT7 as you'd like to use all of your cores