Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 05-12-2019, 12:33 AM

Default Blue Cat's Patchwork latency? Can it mess up timing? Advice on best way to use it.

Hi,

I am using blue cat's patchwork V2 to use VST's in Protools 2018 and I'm wondering if it's OK to use it for critical applications like compression on a vocal or will it be shifted out of time? I'm new to the plugin and not sure if it's designed to be used this way when timing is a big deal. Does anyone use it for critical tasks such as compression or EQ?

When I use it I don't notice any latency but I'm using it for a reverb and EQ plugin mainly so it's hard to really tell. I've been second guessing myself so I've become a bit paranoid that maybe it can introduce a slight delay to the tracks I'm using it on so it might be moving audio slightly out of time.

Anyone have any advice or experience using Patchwork that can give me some reassurance?

Thank you very much.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Blue Cat's Patchwork latency? Can it mess up timing? Advice on best way to use it

I've used many different plugins with it and I haven't noticed any issues. But a lot depends on your system too. Just try it and see.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Blue Cat's Patchwork latency? Can it mess up timing? Advice on best way to use it

If you’re referring to timing issues due to delay compensation, that shouldn’t be an issue as Patchwork should be reporting the delays correctly and everything should be compensated for if using plugins that induce latency.

IOW - it’s no different to using these plugins standalone or through Patchwork. I know you’re using plugins not available as AAX, but the logic is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamreality View Post
Hi,

I am using blue cat's patchwork V2 to use VST's in Protools 2018 and I'm wondering if it's OK to use it for critical applications like compression on a vocal or will it be shifted out of time? I'm new to the plugin and not sure if it's designed to be used this way when timing is a big deal. Does anyone use it for critical tasks such as compression or EQ?

When I use it I don't notice any latency but I'm using it for a reverb and EQ plugin mainly so it's hard to really tell. I've been second guessing myself so I've become a bit paranoid that maybe it can introduce a slight delay to the tracks I'm using it on so it might be moving audio slightly out of time.

Anyone have any advice or experience using Patchwork that can give me some reassurance?

Thank you very much.
Hi, make sure you are using the correct version of patchworks to insert plugins and not the version to insert VIs (and vice versa).

Example:

Good luck, :)
MacBookAir 6,2 OS X Mojave 10.14.4 | Pro Tools 2019.5
MacBookPro 9,2 OS X Mojave 10.14.4 | Pro Tools 2019.5
M-Audio M-Track Plus | M-Audio ProKeys 88SX | Korg Microkey 37
Ibanez RG7321 | Epiphone Les Paul Junior | Fender Strato
Crate Amps | Ibanez & Boss Pedals
Old 05-13-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f41qu3 View Post
Hi, make sure you are using the correct version of patchworks to insert plugins and not the version to insert VIs (and vice versa).

Example:

Good luck, :)

Good reminder! Its easy to overlook that option.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:04 PM

Long time user of Patchwork and I've never had an issue with latency with it or any of the Blue Cat plugins. And I've done some insane sequences of plugins inside Patchwork in combination with MB7-2 like for multiband compression where I can pick from any compressor I have and then have a limiter at the end of the chain in Patchwork. All compensated for no problem.

QAPLA!
Old 10-18-2019, 02:37 AM

Well that puts my mind at ease. I've been using it a lot and it's been very useful. Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it!
Old 10-18-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamreality View Post
Well that puts my mind at ease. I've been using it a lot and it's been very useful. Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it!

I really hope it didn’t take 5 months to put your mind at ease.

Hahaha!

Old 10-19-2019, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
I really hope it didn’t take 5 months to put your mind at ease.

Hahaha!

hahaha

Nah I'd just forgot I asked on here so didn't see the replies until now. I was actually searching google the other day as I still had the same question and ended up finding my own thread that I posted 5 months ago which had the answer in it this whole time! that's what led me back here haha I'm so goofy.