Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2002, 09:58 AM

Default Digi - future TDM support and trade ins

Hi there - I am feeling a little grumpy about the upgrade offers from Digi for the HD system. Having agonized about spending a fortune on TDM, Control 24 etc for my home studio, the one thing that made it vaguely palatable was the TDM plug in pack that came "free" and gave me Virus, amp farm and other great plugs. The grumpiness comes because those plugs will not work with HD, and there is no free plug in pack when you use the upgrades. So, I am faced 6 months later with a potential expensive upgrade AND having to purchase the plug ins again!! Come on Digi, I think you can do better than that.
At least please clarify your long term support commitment to TDM and that future releases of PT software will be for both HD and TDM. At least that way I can stay where I am without going into a software cul-de-sac.
Thanks
Old 02-05-2002, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Digi - future TDM support and trade ins

That is true for the Digirack plug ins, but not for the third party plugs you own. If I am wrong, please let me know and my grumpiness will dwindle!
Old 02-05-2002, 02:02 PM
Avid

Though Pro Tools 5.3 specifically supports ProTools|HD, there are really not any new features in the software, other than items that support the new HD hardware. Digidesign is continuing software development for MIX systems. Future Pro Tools software releases will add new features to both MIX and HD and merge in features from the two present MIX releases (5.2, which supports DigiStudio, and 5.1.3, which adds Avid interoperability features). Rest assured that you will be able to use and grow with your system for quite a while.

As for plug-in compatibility with Pro Tools|HD, many of the non-Digidesign plug-in developers will be releasing HD compatible versions shortly. For information about compatibility and upgrades, you should keep an eye on the Digidesign website as well as that of the developers you're interested in. If plug-in compability is a gating item for you, this will help you figure out when would be the right time to upgrade if that's the path you want to take.

Digidesign Product Information
Old 02-06-2002, 12:48 AM
ACI/ALP Moderator

You don't have to pay for HD versions of any Digi plugins that you already own. As always, the new plugins are included on the 5.3 installer and your old authorizations will work just fine.