Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 02-17-2013, 05:34 PM

Default Physical RAM Running Low

I just upgraded from PT 8 MP to PT 10. I'm now getting a frequent warning that my "Physical RAM is running low". I've used PT 8 for the past 3 years and never seen this message before, until upgrading to PT 10. I'm running Windows 7 32 bit with 4GB of RAM (the max PT can utilize). I checked what other services I have running and was able to shut down about 100MB worth, but that small amount shouldn't make a difference. PT is only consuming about 1.5GB to 1.8GB of RAM. And I'm working on the same album project that I've been working on (with PT 8) for the past 9 months. Never had a single memory or CPU usage issue until now, and I've got songs with 30+ tracks and a fairly large number of plugins being used. If anyone has any suggestions I would be forever greatful. Thanks!
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz
Memory: 32GB
Internal Hard Drives:
500GB= Programs
1TBGB= Audio
1tbGB= Samples/Back Up
External Hard Drives: Verbatim 1TB USB Drive
RME Fireface UFX Interface/Preamps
Pro Tools 2023
Focal CMS 65 Monitors
Avantones
Old 02-17-2013, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Physical RAM Running Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyc View Post
I just upgraded from PT 8 MP to PT 10. I'm now getting a frequent warning that my "Physical RAM is running low". I've used PT 8 for the past 3 years and never seen this message before, until upgrading to PT 10. I'm running Windows 7 32 bit with 4GB of RAM (the max PT can utilize). I checked what other services I have running and was able to shut down about 100MB worth, but that small amount shouldn't make a difference. PT is only consuming about 1.5GB to 1.8GB of RAM. And I'm working on the same album project that I've been working on (with PT 8) for the past 9 months. Never had a single memory or CPU usage issue until now, and I've got songs with 30+ tracks and a fairly large number of plugins being used. If anyone has any suggestions I would be forever greatful. Thanks!
Plugins, plugins, plugins, ... number one thing is to check your plugins are all up to date. Try to isolate if particular plugins are causing problems etc.

The other thing is you may just need to upgrade your DIMMs or install more of them (keep them matched across channels) and go to a Windows 7 64 bit. Right now with a 32 bit OS and 4GB of physical memory, your OS is eating out the same 4Gb trough as Pro Tools. upgrading as I suggest puts each of those in their own fine dining establishments.

Darryl

Darryl
Old 02-17-2013, 06:31 PM

I second the Windows 64 bit and more RAM. While on paper, it should not matter, in reality, it might. My experience; exact same computer(with LE8), with Windows XP and 6GB of RAM, Dverb score was 320. With Win7 64 bit, Dverb score went to 500. Also, which exact version of 10? Updates are at 10.3.3 now, but many feel 10.3.2 is better, so you may want to update(but save a drive image before any and every system change. Acronis True Image(or similar) is your best friend there

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-18-2013, 04:36 AM

Many thanks for the replies and tips. I wonder what they did different with PT 10 (I'm running the latest version since I just installed it 4 days ago), since I never had this issue with PT 8.

I've thought about upgrading to 64 bit. I can't afford a new computer, but I think my existing machine will handle it. It just scares me to go through that install. I undertand you have to back up all your files and restore them. I've probably got about 1TB of data on this machine. I backup everything routinely, but it's still scary to think about. Any tips on this would be great! Thanks again!
Internal Hard Drives:
500GB= Programs
1TBGB= Audio
1tbGB= Samples/Back Up
Pro Tools 2023
Focal CMS 65 Monitors
Avantones
Old 02-18-2013, 08:05 AM

Default Physical RAM Running Low

Buy a new boot/system drive and install Windows 64 bit there.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Buy a new boot/system drive and install Windows 64 bit there.
Amen! Just pull the old drive and set it aside(if all hell breaks loose, you can swap the old drive and go back to work). Drive imaging and drive cloning are 2 valuable things for any DAW user(really, any computer user). I have a pair of big USB drives that hold nothing but drive images of the system drive in every computer I own(6 of them). I also have several drives setup with various versions of Windows and PT, and a clone of my last solid setup(in case an update screws up). Acronis True Image is my tool of choice, but there are other options(including free ones). Acronis also does straight file backup too.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-18-2013, 05:29 PM

I like that idea about swapping drives. I'll look into that. Thanks!!
Internal Hard Drives:
500GB= Programs
1TBGB= Audio
1tbGB= Samples/Back Up
Pro Tools 2023
Focal CMS 65 Monitors
Avantones
Old 02-18-2013, 05:32 PM

And time to get an SSD drive for ultra fast boot etc. Samsung 840 Pro SSD, or if yuo want to be old fashioned then a WDC Caviar Black are nice hard drives.