Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)

Old 03-02-2011, 01:06 PM

Unhappy Pro Tools SE White Noise - Is there a solution?

I know this problem has been addressed before but I still haven't been able to find a solution. I'm starting to doubt there's one out there. And I know SE is a cheaper version and all but I'd still like to get something out of my money...

I bought the M-Audio Fast Track Home Recording Studio with the Pro Tools Se a couple days ago. Every other time I open the program I get that white noise in the background whenever I arm a track or playback what I've recorded. This is very frustrating. I have to close Pro Tools and reopen it for me to be able to do anything, and this wouldn't be so bad if the problem didn't come back just five minutes later...

I've tried everything all the posts have said and nothing works. I've switched to "mixing and producing" and I've done all the optimization things that AVID recommended. I'm not sure if It has to do with my graphics card or what. I read somewhere that it might help to turn off the wireless internet...

I've been using Propellerhead Reason for years now and I bought the cheap version of Pro Tools because of rewire. But if this doesn't work why would I ever be motivated to buy the full version?

Here are my Specs:

Lenovo Y-550p (Laptop)
Windows 7 (64 bit)
4 GB RAM
Intel Core i7 Processor 720 1.60 GHz
Local Disk C - 263 GB free of 420 GB
Disk D - 26.4 GB free of 30.2 GB (I record on this Drive)

I use Avast Software; I know Norton has been known to cause problems, but I'm not sure if Avast does or not.

I'm new to this and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old 03-03-2011, 06:00 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools SE White Noise - Is there a solution?

I'm sorry to say this: there's no solution for you (and many others like me) unless avid releases an update for protools se and protools essential. This is a protools problem!!! Protools m-powered 8 and le 8 versions had the same issue and avid released and update for protools "full" versions to correct the white noise problem.

It seems that avid doesn't care about se and essential users!!!
This is a shame for avid!!!
It's unethical to release a product that doesn't work and avid should be sued for releasing a product that can cause serious damage to your ears and equipment knowing that version 8.0.3 of protools had this issue!!!
Yet they still bundle it with these cheap m-audio products!!!
I want my money, my ears and my wasted time back!!!!!
I will never buy another avid product! Ever.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:18 AM

I am in the same boat. I am a electrical engineer by profession and have a high tolerance for technical issues. However, I have reached the breaking point with Pro Tools 9 SE and the M-Audio solution. I am going to return the products to Guitar Center. I also do not plan to ever buy an Avid product again. It seems Pro Tools SE was thrown out in the market with serious bugs and without any desire to provide adequate support. It would only take a few minutes per day to have a technical support person provide status on this issue on this forum.

I could understand if PT 9 SE had issues with legacy Windows systems. However, I have noticed that many of the people having this issue have newer i5 and i7 systems with Win 7/64bit. How could a fundamental issue with distorted recording on new Windows platforms get through Avid's quality controls?
Old 03-03-2011, 10:23 AM

I feel like there has to be a solution out there somewhere otherwise why would they keep selling it if there are so many bad reviews. Someone has to have gotten it working... Anyway, guess it's time to move to another forum
Old 03-03-2011, 10:59 AM

Almost every piece of software will work for some and won't work for others.
When it works for some people that doesn't mean there aren't issues or bugs in it. We are too many with this problem, not to mention all the protools le and m-powered users that had serious issues with this white noise...it damages your ears and your monitors!!!

A "serious" and "top professional" company take care of costumers complains and software issues. That's not happening here...see all the posts about the white noise bug in this forum and in protools essential forum...see the le and m-powered forums!!! Me and others have posted a "long" time ago about this serious issue and we've had ZERO replies from the moderators and ZERO updates from avid. Protools SE (and Essential) is not a free product...we pay for it when we buy m-audio products. M-audio belongs to Avid.

In the end the relevant point still is: it's a protools bug but avid doesn't give a f#!!! (sorry but i can't find other way to express this situation)

P.S.: I want my money back and i should demand a full working version of protools as a compensation for all the hours and ear health i've lost with this piece of junk!
Old 03-05-2011, 03:26 PM

same. this sucks
Old 03-11-2011, 11:25 PM

I wonder if there's any timetable for fixing this?
Old 03-14-2011, 12:56 PM

Thumbs down Re: Pro Tools SE White Noise - Is there a solution?

i changed all my sound setting from 44.1hz and 24 bit to 44.1hz and 16 bit. everything, from the preferences on the computer to the preferences on protools. the static interuption doesnt happen anymore. but i still get the error codes 9060, 9031, and others.

while the mic is plugged in, the sound icon on the computers task bar allows more audio options, and when its not plugged in, it allows a different set of audio options.

still this software is not compatible with my windows 7 service pack 2, im running on a i5 prossesor.

no, its still useless?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Avid

We are aware that a small number of Windows 7 users are experiencing this issue and are looking into it. Information and updates will be posted here as they become available.

Tim A
Old 03-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Avid

I don't know that this issue is specific to Pro Tools SE, we have seen similar reports with the Delta Series drivers.

Can you test the M-Audio interface with another recording application (like the Ableton Live demo) to see if you get the same noises? This could help confirm that the problem is with the M-Audio driver and not Pro Tools SE.

Check your BIOS and disabling any CPU Throttling and Power Management utilities as these are often responsible for static/crackling.
Disabling Wireless as mentioned above, along with Ethernet and your built-in sound card is also a good idea as these can cause intermittent static bursts on some systems.

For those that continue to experience this problem, please provide detailed information about your computer system and steps to reproduce as requested here. If possible, can you also post a recording of the noise?