Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2002, 02:09 PM

Default Re: What are the limits of tha Mac systems

If you checked the specs on the 001, you would see it is limited to 24 tracks audio, 128 tracks midi. 18 total i/o: 8 analog inputs, all balanced +4db, 8 lightpipe inputs, and stereo spdif inputs.
8 analog outputs, 2 balanced +4db, 6(3-8) -10db unbalanced, 8 lightpipe and stereo spdif.

The "pro" pt systems are unlimited as to how many inputs and outputs except by the horsepower of the computer. They are far costlier than the 001.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:47 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mikchek:

I'm just wondering am I limited to tha Digi001 with tha mac or is there more ...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think we need just a little more info. What system are you running and what are you trying to achieve? Describe a song and a recording session. Number of tracks at once, Mic channels verses synth channels etc.

ProTools is 'scale-able' so it can be set-up in many ways.

As where02190 pointed out the specs on the Digi001 are what they are and if you 888/24's you will have to go TDM.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:13 AM

Default What are the limits of tha Mac systems

I'm just wondering am I limited to tha Digi001 with tha mac or is there more that I can do? What is tha most I can record simutaneously I hear about these 880/20 and 888/24 or whatever systems.....please excuse my ignorance......please respond with any help....

thanks
mik
Old 01-16-2002, 06:51 AM

YES!!! I guess that is exactly what I am wondering.....how far can I actually go....what is tha most I can actually do without going TDM?.....I mena what I am doing is really basic but I'm just thinkin for future reference.......I was doing some reading and I see that even TDM systems use a mac so it was good that I got a mac............but I'm just wondering wha my limits are before going TDM......and also what is that cheapest TDM I can get.........but I'm just doing a basic track set up......making tracks on a external device.....sometimes I bring tha tracks in through tha output expander sometimes just straight analog......record tha vocal tracks.......I justdon't wanna be too limited to expantion........how does tha ADAT hook up work?........thanks for all the input.....

Mik
Old 01-16-2002, 12:32 PM

Unless you can not live within 24 tracks don't think about TDM.

I have a TDM system and most projects come to me from 001 system because I loan the musician a system and they get started and bring the best songs to me. It is amazing how fast some of them learn when given some quiet time at home.

Don't go TDM until you really know the ins and outs of PT. Things change and depreciate too fast. Stick with the 001, there is sooo much you can do.
Old 01-16-2002, 02:38 PM

thanks a lot kev.....that is exactly what I needed to hear.....what is tha difference between digi001 and digi001 factory?......
Old 01-16-2002, 02:57 PM

The "Factory" package has some very nice plugins thrown in by several manufacturers. If I was buying new, I'd consider the "factory" package. There is another "package" around which offers the Realverb plugin for cheap, which is also nice - BUT wait a couple of days until after the NAMM show to see if there's something new being offered for the Digi001 customers - or special pricing for the factory package (beyond it's "normal", special pricing).

PTLE8/002r;OS 10.6.4 2 x 2.26Ghz quadcore,6GB RAM, Waves Platinum, many other plugins...
Old 01-16-2002, 10:02 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mikchek:
thanks a lot kev.....that is exactly what I needed to hear.....what is tha difference between digi001 and digi001 factory?......<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would recommend you get the basic Digi001 and the Waves Gold bundle and that should satisfy all of your immediate requirements. Definitely shop around when buying plugins. I saw the Gold bundle priced online for $1300, bought it local for $750.

As far as expanding your setup, DigiDesign has a trade up option, so you could pretty much only go wrong if you bought a different product.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:52 PM

that is pretty cool........what is tha NAMM show?......where is it at?...........where can you read on and about tha plug-ins

mik