Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 06:16 AM

Default CPU Conflicts

Greetings all,

I'm using an Mbox on a G4 Powerbook 1.33 with 768MB of Ram. When playing back a single track of audio, or sometimes recording only a single track (while playing back one or more tracks), I am constantly getting the following message:

Audio Processing is conflicting with other CPU tasks. If this occurs often, reducing the "H/W Buffer Size" in Playback Engine Dialog may help prevent the problem. (-9129)

Of course, if I bring it down from 1024 to 512 samples, I get the following message:

The operating system held off interrupts for too long. If this occurs often, try increasing the "H/W Buffer Size" in the Playback Engine Dialog. (-9094)

I find that if I bring the CPU usage limit down to 75% or so, it works a little better, but still not as good as I would hope. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for making this a little easier? It's not an old laptop by any means, and I would expect it to be able to handle a little more than this.

Thanks,
Siegfried
Old 07-28-2005, 06:33 AM

Default Re: CPU Conflicts

strange that 75% doesn`t work for you.
I did that and i have a slower computer (g4 400mhz) and it worked for me.

oh i remember the time running 10 audio tracks in 16bit 22khz with studio vision sequencer on a powerbook 5300c !
that`s like 100mhz

now with faster computers and faster everything, more ram etc... 1 track sometimes even gives you problems !
evolution, that`s the term it is called.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:47 AM

Do you have Processor Performance set to Highest in Energy Saver preferences? That's pretty important.

Old 07-28-2005, 07:03 AM

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WIT MY G4 POWERBOOK 1GRAM 1.5 MBOX AND REASON3 AS A REWIRE. I CAN HAVE 1 TRACK RUNNING AND IT TELLS ME TO INCREASE PLAYBACK BUFFER.TRIED EVEYTHING STILL NOT HAPPENING
Old 07-28-2005, 09:49 AM
Avid

Peter - which version of Reason are you using? If you're using 3.0, you should update to 3.0.3, as there were improvements made to it's ReWire performance with that update.

If that is not the case, please tell us which drive you're recording or playing back from (internal/external) and, if it's external, what type of drive it is.

The more information you can provide about your system and what troubleshooting steps you've taken, the easier it will be for us to assist you.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:31 AM

dear digidesign tech support i have reason 3 and it is updated to the max... i am running my tunes on the g4 internal hard drive altho a new lacie 200gb external hard drive is next in my quest to stop this -9129 prob. but as usual funds are tight. i also got recomended to take powerbook and mbox and have it custom set up instead of the easy instal i did wen i got the mbox? please please please please help... also i carnt see no ryme or reason to this it does it totally random as far as i can see. my system is powerbookg4 1.5 80ghd 1 gig of ram and the trusty mbox. after i upgraded to 1gig of ram it ran fine for a bit but now it back were it was every 2 bleedin minutes -9129... i hate that code...i only have the progs the powerbook came loaded with and pt and reason3. i currently have 7 tunes on my hd each no more than 10 tracks(mixture reason and pro tools tracks) is this too much for my harddrive? like i said pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaassssssssssseeeeeee help
Old 07-31-2005, 09:34 AM

i ve got the same problem with my MBox + ibook 1,33gHz - 768 Mo RAM - MacOS 10.3.8.
Protools runs in the internal disk, but i record audio on a LaCie 200 Go, FireWire.
I ve got a digi002 as well, which is perfectly runing with my ibook.
I did all the settings specified by digidesign (in the energy saver panel), but it's the same.

So. What can we do now ?
Old 08-01-2005, 04:07 AM

me too. ive done every tip anybody has told me settin processer performance to highest ,upgrade my memory ,stand in the corner pat your head and rub your stomach !!!!! done the lot bought the t shirt ate the pie, think my next move is to launch it out the window!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2005, 06:47 PM

Yeah, I gotta say, this is weak sauce.

I'm kind of ticked because I upgraded my OS, upgraded my RAM, upgraded my processor and the software to PT6.4, and I thought I would be good to go with no technical restrictions, but no, I get that damn error that tells me to go up, no, go down, no, go up... arrrgghhh.

Specs:
Digi 001
G4 PowerMac 10.3.9, 1.7ghz, 1.1gb, 30g 40g and 80g hd (all internal)
And my beloved Reason 3.0.3

Please, tech support, show some love and help us out.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I gotta say, this is weak sauce.

I'm kind of ticked because I upgraded my OS, upgraded my RAM, upgraded my processor and the software to PT6.4, and I thought I would be good to go with no technical restrictions, but no, I get that damn error that tells me to go up, no, go down, no, go up... arrrgghhh.

Specs:
Digi 001
G4 PowerMac 10.3.9, 1.7ghz, 1.1gb, 30g 40g and 80g hd (all internal)
And my beloved Reason 3.0.3

Please, tech support, show some love and help us out.
There's your first issue, you've upgraded your OS too far. 10.3.9 is not supported/qualified by Digi - they only went as far as 10.3.8 with Panther. Unless you can downgrade to that you might want to upgrade to Tiger to get back into a qualified OS setup.