Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 12-13-2020, 05:23 AM

Default Merging/Chaining Projects with Tempo changes?

Ok, this is a bit of a strange one...

I have been given 6 very experimental pieces of music that all have multiple tempo/meter changes in them (like sometimes 30 tempo changes in 5 minutes....I know...who does that...).

They have both midi & audio, & are already in 6 separate Pro Tools sessions (via Logic)

I wish to combine them all in one project, which each piece of music placed after the one before, whilst keeping the Midi as well as the audio

Obviously it's straightforward to do this with purely the audio, as it can be bounced.

What I really need to do though, is keep all the tempo changes intact, so a 'bar is still a bar' in this strange world which I've been hired to deal with.

If I try & import song#2 to a location after song#1, the tempo info from song#1 is obliterated....short of recreating every tempo change manually (probably a days work), are there any ideas/solutions out there?

Cheers

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 12-13-2020, 05:31 AM

Default Re: Merging/Chaining Projects with Tempo changes?

Is there a specific reason why you need them all in the same session?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Is there a specific reason why you need them all in the same session?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is unfortunately, or else it would be easier to keep them separate I agree..

..update..Logic Pro can do this it seems....

Workaround:

I've gone back to the original Logic sessions..then chained one song after another in Logic.....then exported AAF & Midi in PT

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

Old 12-13-2020, 08:40 PM

Hi,

I’m quite sure you can do this with import session data and define a session start point on the current timeline. I haven’t done this for a while but i think it would work for both audio and midi

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-13-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
I’m quite sure you can do this with import session data and define a session start point on the current timeline. I haven’t done this for a while but i think it would work for both audio and midi.
Yeah you're supposed to be able to do it, but it doesn't seem to work for me. It always moves the session start to the new file location and screws up all the tempo and time changes of the original session. I've tried it using different options but never have gotten it work work right so I gave up and used a workaround. Not sure if I'm just missing something or if it's broken.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 12-14-2020, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Yeah you're supposed to be able to do it, but it doesn't seem to work for me. It always moves the session start to the new file location and screws up all the tempo and time changes of the original session. I've tried it using different options but never have gotten it work work right so I gave up and used a workaround. Not sure if I'm just missing something or if it's broken.
Yeah, that's exactly what happens..I spent an hour or so trying to get to work..would like to hear from AVID if its a bug or intended behaviour..