How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 03-02-2021, 04:43 AM

Default Re: Plugin Alliance Leap Year Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
Most of the new plugins reach the "affordable" (reasonable) price range within around a year, some far quicker last year. My guess is depending on uptake, some arrive earlier and others later. Either way, pretty much most of the plugins arrive in the $30 or less before too long. The current any plugin for $30 sale is clear testimony.

I wonder why they are holding out on the Amek? Sure, it is a very sweet sounding EQ but I am not sure if there is something that magical about it to cause me to pay over $100? Dirk seems to be holding onto for a bone for the subscribers. He made that intention for the beginning until such point he had realised he had contradicted himself and would alienate non subscribing customers. Either way, it certainly is not a juice enough bone to get me to subscribe.

Stephen
You hit the nail on the head as regards the Amek EQ. It was supposed to be a subscribers-only plugin to make it seem like subs were the way to go. But as you said he got caught contradicting himself. There was a reduced price for a short time on the Amek late in 2020 but it's gone back to full price. Forgetting the politics it's unreasonable to release a plugin at almost $400 during a time when a lot of music-oriented people aren't working or are at severely reduced levels.

Oh yeah - the reduced price on the Amek? IIRC it was in the $200+ range.

QAPLA!
Old 03-02-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Most of the new plugins reach the "affordable" (reasonable) price range within around a year, some far quicker last year. My guess is depending on uptake, some arrive earlier and others later. Either way, pretty much most of the plugins arrive in the $30 or less before too long. The current any plugin for $30 sale is clear testimony.

I wonder why they are holding out on the Amek? Sure, it is a very sweet sounding EQ but I am not sure if there is something that magical about it to cause me to pay over $100? Dirk seems to be holding onto for a bone for the subscribers. He made that intention for the beginning until such point he had realised he had contradicted himself and would alienate non subscribing customers. Either way, it certainly is not a juice enough bone to get me to subscribe.

Stephen
I've been a subscriber since the monthly was released, and it's a great deal for me. Instead of waiting for sales, you just get everything. I was spending more buying the plugins per month than the cost of the sub anyway. So it made sense for me.

If you're not heavily using the PA plugins, your cost breakdown may be different.

But a cool thing about the sub is you get all your money back in a voucher to use on any plugin(s) you want, and own them forever.

If I wasn't already subscribed, you could work the system by subscribing for a year right now ($249) and instantly get a $249 voucher to load up on 8 $29 plugins you want to own - plus use everything for the rest of the year.

Keep in mind, you don't the voucher instantly if you do the monthly - you'll get it after 12 months. But when I switched to yearly I instantly got my $249 voucher.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-02-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
I've been a subscriber since the monthly was released, and it's a great deal for me. Instead of waiting for sales, you just get everything. I was spending more buying the plugins per month than the cost of the sub anyway. So it made sense for me.

If you're not heavily using the PA plugins, your cost breakdown may be different.

But a cool thing about the sub is you get all your money back in a voucher to use on any plugin(s) you want, and own them forever.

If I wasn't already subscribed, you could work the system by subscribing for a year right now ($249) and instantly get a $249 voucher to load up on 8 $29 plugins you want to own - plus use everything for the rest of the year.

Keep in mind, you don't the voucher instantly if you do the monthly - you'll get it after 12 months. But when I switched to yearly I instantly got my $249 voucher.
There's few I don't own outright - mostly the synths and the two Fuchs amps. I am a heavy user of PA plugins. What I don't have I don't need.

Brian:
Do you use the Oberhausen at all? Demo'd it when it dropped and while I liek the sound I didn't like that it didn't remember MIDI assignments when you changed patches. PA tech support said that was by design. With the current sale I thought I'd give it a try but can't. Can you do me a huge favor and try it out and see if it still loses MIDI assignments when you change patches? Mostly interested in the output level control assignment. Apparently it's not global.

QAPLA!
Old 03-02-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
There's few I don't own outright - mostly the synths and the two Fuchs amps. I am a heavy user of PA plugins. What I don't have I don't need.

Brian:
Do you use the Oberhausen at all? Demo'd it when it dropped and while I liek the sound I didn't like that it didn't remember MIDI assignments when you changed patches. PA tech support said that was by design. With the current sale I thought I'd give it a try but can't. Can you do me a huge favor and try it out and see if it still loses MIDI assignments when you change patches? Mostly interested in the output level control assignment. Apparently it's not global.
No I haven't really used the synths much. Not a knock on PA synths, just haven't had a reason to use a synth for awhile.

But I checked out the MIDI assignment and it seems to be working if I'm understanding you correctly.

In Pro Tools 2020.12, I used a PreSonus ATOM to assign knobs to the GENERAL LEVEL, VCO 1 FREQUENCY, and SIZE on the Reverb FX.

When switching presets, the knobs remained assigned.

bx_oberhausen version 1.3

EDIT:

Just to be clear!

The knobs remain assigned, but the setting/position will change when switching a preset.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-02-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
No I haven't really used the synths much. Not a knock on PA synths, just haven't had a reason to use a synth for awhile.

But I checked out the MIDI assignment and it seems to be working if I'm understanding you correctly.

In Pro Tools 2020.12, I used a PreSonus ATOM to assign knobs to the GENERAL LEVEL, VCO 1 FREQUENCY, and SIZE on the Reverb FX.

When switching presets, the knobs remained assigned.

bx_oberhausen version 1.3

EDIT:

Just to be clear!

The knobs remain assigned, but the setting/position will change when switching a preset.
Perfect - just what I needed to know. Heading off to get it.
Thanks Brian.

QAPLA!
Old 03-03-2021, 04:09 AM

bx_oberhausen is the nuts! Sounds great to my ears. I have the Arturia but the Brainworx sounds thicker, juicier for sure. It is likely the TMT? I normally assign my volume slider to volume on the patch. Not sure why they can't do that by default?! Anyhow, I think it remembers it? Even if it doesn't I'm willing to put up with it for the sound.

Regarding subscriptions I can't see the point. I have 93 plugins purchased over about 6 years. Compared with subscription I am on similar costs but own all the plugins. Subscribers likely own about 30 plugins from what I found with the voucher (I traded one with a subscriber I work for and the plugins cost about $50 each in the quarterly sale using it).

So if I have no money this year for plugins I can still use my 93 plugins. A subscriber would have possibly 30 if the scheme was running for six years (which it wasn't). As it was many of them bought plugins and switched to subscription so they will have less and PA win both times.

Also I do not want all the plugins! I demo most of the ones I purchase and add them if they have a good chance of getting used. There's a few I'm not so keen on from PA. Some I purchase later as they might be good on the odd occasion and the price was right ($20 or so). At that kind of price it is hard to refuse a half decent plugin to own and use! But in general I only purchase a plugin if I think it is better than what I have or just good in itself.

Take for example the Purple MC77 from PA. I demoed it and didn't rate it. I prefer my CLA 1776 which I use most often. There's a few others I use but even after purchasing the MC77 cheap, it hasn't stayed on a track from what I remember. I'm sure others might love it. That's not the point. The point being I don't need loads of option I don't like unless they become so cheap that it is worth adding them to the arsenal.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 03-03-2021, 04:12 AM

Another anti subscription point is adding one or two plugins a month I get to learn them. Adding a whole bundle it a bit bamboozling and I likely only get to learn the ones I use and others not at all.

Stephen

Old 03-03-2021, 04:17 AM

Last point for non subscribers like myself. You almost certainly don't need that SSL 9000 J series plugin or either the 50 Series API emulation. Even the $399 Amek won't likely sort your mixes or production out!

Just use what you have and most likely you can pick up the plugins for $30 or less when the time is right. Past history shows that likely most all of the plugins will be $30 or less if you use your vouchers well.

Stephen

Old 03-03-2021, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Just use what you have
Yeah, I have been trying this for the past two years. Works very well when you can drop plugin sale emails to trash without thinking
Old 03-03-2021, 04:56 AM

Quote:
bx_oberhausen is the nuts! Sounds great to my ears. I have the Arturia but the Brainworx sounds thicker, juicier for sure. It is likely the TMT? I normally assign my volume slider to volume on the patch. Not sure why they can't do that by default?! Anyhow, I think it remembers it? Even if it doesn't I'm willing to put up with it for the sound.

Regarding subscriptions I can't see the point. I have 93 plugins purchased over about 6 years. Compared with subscription I am on similar costs but own all the plugins. Subscribers likely own about 30 plugins from what I found with the voucher (I traded one with a subscriber I work for and the plugins cost about $50 each in the quarterly sale using it).

So if I have no money this year for plugins I can still use my 93 plugins. A subscriber would have possibly 30 if the scheme was running for six years (which it wasn't). As it was many of them bought plugins and switched to subscription so they will have less and PA win both times.

Also I do not want all the plugins! I demo most of the ones I purchase and add them if they have a good chance of getting used. There's a few I'm not so keen on from PA. Some I purchase later as they might be good on the odd occasion and the price was right ($20 or so). At that kind of price it is hard to refuse a half decent plugin to own and use! But in general I only purchase a plugin if I think it is better than what I have or just good in itself.

Take for example the Purple MC77 from PA. I demoed it and didn't rate it. I prefer my CLA 1776 which I use most often. There's a few others I use but even after purchasing the MC77 cheap, it hasn't stayed on a track from what I remember. I'm sure others might love it. That's not the point. The point being I don't need loads of option I don't like unless they become so cheap that it is worth adding them to the arsenal.

Stephen
re Oberhausen:
This iteration of the plugin does remember the assignment of the output level control ONCE you assign it - but only for that instance. Now if you have multiple instances of Oberhausen you have to make the assignment again. Unless you option/drag on a Mac the plugin from one insert slot to another. The original drop of the plugin did not remember assignments when you changed patches.

re subscriptions:
I really don't like them unless there's no option like with the Avid Complete plugin bundle. Also like you I don't necessarily like all the plugins in a bundle. For PA that's the Maaq stuff and the two Fuchs amps. There's some of the Unfiltered Audio I don't like or want. Tried them and they didn't last more than a day before going into the old bit-bucket.

PA's MC77 is probably my favorite 1176 emulation second only to the one from PSP. I also have the Purple Audio one from Avid. They all have a different sound that fits different things. The Avid one for me is meh at best. Another 1176-style comp is Stillwell Rocket. It doesn't look like any 1176 but does pay good homage to that style comp. It does yeoman work on individual vi drum tracks.

Yes there have been times where I demo a PA plug and don't buy it because the price is too high (see Amek EQ 200 at $399). Then when the price comes down to earth I buy. My reasoning behind why I haven't jumped on the Arturia VC8 upgrade. I know the price will come down - it's just a matter of when.

QAPLA!