Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 07:13 PM

Default LOCKING LOGIC TO PROTOOLS- BOTH ON SEPARATE COMPUTERS

Hello-
I have Logic that I will install on a dual quad mac and want to lock it to my protools Accel rig on a mac dual 2.7. I will compose with sample libraries in Logic and stream the tracks into protools via lightpipe. I have heard that locking Logic to PT with midi time clock works decently. Since I will be writing to picture, I want to make sure they lock well and accurately. Any information/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:16 AM

Default Re: LOCKING LOGIC TO PROTOOLS- BOTH ON SEPARATE COMPUTERS

I work using Logic as a front end for my PT Accel system, on the same computer, and it works well for me.

I can understand people liking certain features in Logic, and certain features in PT. There seem to be a number of folks who compose in Logic, and mix in PT.

Personally, I would think that loading up both applications on two different computers every time you'd start a project would be an enormous PITA. It would be time consuming, and would cut down tremendously on your productivity. You'd also be adding new, exciting ways for things to get screwed up.

If composing in Logic, and mixing in PT is the desired result, I think you'd work far more efficiently doing your composing in Logic, native, and then using the function in Logic that automatically bounces down all tracks - then import into PT for further mixing, etc. With a Quad Mac (plus Logic's freeze function), you're going to be able to do an enormous amount in Logic before you move to PT to mix (if that's what you want to do).
Old 06-28-2007, 09:22 AM

It will lock perfectly. You will love this setup. It is bringing you the best of both worlds: Audio & Midi. I would not bounce natively in Logic but wire the light just like you said it. This is what I am doing now anyway. But only on one CPU. Works like a charm
Old 06-28-2007, 12:28 PM

Thanks for your replies. I do, however, need the two on tow separate systems, so my main issue is locking them together. I am thinking that I will make PT the master and Logic the slave. Any feedback on locking them together?
Old 06-28-2007, 12:49 PM

You want Logic to chase the SMPTE coming from ProTools, so ProTools is master as regards location. But then you want to send Midi Machine Commands from Logic to ProTools. That way you can start and stop in either application and your transports will be locked.

Also, look in the Logic manual about setting up a special track in your arrange window with the "Tape Machine" icon. (You need to create it in the environment first). That's the secret weapon to set up the sending of the MMC.

I do this on a single machine with a midi cable, but I've read here in the DUC from people who are set up on two machines that they highly recommend locking over ethernet. I haven't done this, so I don't know the details.

good luck
Old 06-28-2007, 01:26 PM

I used to try to do this -- and before Logic, I would use studiovision by itself on its own computer, then tried both on the same machine -- the problem (for me) was that my workflow is never as simple as "track, overdub, mix". In that order. It NEVER happens.

My workflow may include tracking some vocals to live midi, then sweetening with some midi and some audio tracks, and then comping the vocals, then laying down some solosits, then re-orchestrating based on the guitar solo, and then singer decides to beat the comp. And then in the mix, we decide to add another percussion element. My point is that I tried to do it in 2 machines for many years, on many projects, and at some point, I had to either give up the advanced midi, or give up the advanced audio...

ProTools won.

It meant giving up the "zillion virtual insts" and "settling" on just a dozen, max... and of course an external PC for the sample library, light-piped.

The issue for me was that I only wanted record audio in PT, and nothing else really mattered... the workflow in PT is so far superior to any "midi" application -- whatever I have to give up on the midi side is MORE THAN made up for by superior audio workflow and ease of mixing.

Some of the old workflow habits of some composers (a zillion VIs always on) is not always the best way to work... although some claim it's a vibe stopping HOW DARE YOU STOP to load a sample, but there's the other side to this: I get stop and load the most appropriate sample for my track...

You should work the way that makes you happy... my point is that 2-machines (midi/audio) are not always better than one.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:36 AM

I work on two macs, Pro Tools is master and cubase is slave. There´s a midisport MIDI Interface connected to the PT-Mac and two emagic amt8s to the Cubase-Mac.

In the time code settings in "session" under the setup menu the generator is set to "using mtc".

It works fine here, gives me lots of extra vst-Instruments and the midi arranging is still far better than Pro Tools´.

I can only recommend it. Before I do the final mix everything gets recorded into PT in one take.

As 25ghosts said, it gives you best of both worlds.

Martin

http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/index2.html
http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/vita.html
www.3-p.de
www.imglashaus.de
Old 06-29-2007, 07:05 AM

Thanks, mhmh. That's exactly the answer I was hoping for. I have a couple of questions for you:
Is your Cubase rig slaved to your protools rig?
Do you have controllers tapped into both computers, or just the protools computer? In other words, does our controller information go through the PT rig and out to the cubase? I am trying to figure out where to tap in my keyboard controller.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:

Is your Cubase rig slaved to your protools rig?

Yes, via mtc

Quote:

Do you have controllers tapped into both computers, or just the protools computer? In other words, does our controller information go through the PT rig and out to the cubase? I am trying to figure out where to tap in my keyboard controller.
If the masterkeyboard is what you mean by controllers, the answer is yes.

I have my masterkeyboard (Roland MKB 1000) plugged into the midisport interface of the Pro Tools rig to play the RTAS Instruments (Kontakt, Battery etc.) as well as into the amt8 of the cubase rig.

Otherwise I don´t use any controllers like icon, d24 etc.

Cheers,

Martin

http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/index2.html
http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/vita.html
www.3-p.de
www.imglashaus.de
Old 06-29-2007, 08:41 AM

Yes, I meant midi keyboard controllers. Thanks for the info. I had trouble wrapping my mind around having the keyboard plugged in to the PT computer and sending the info from there to the Cubase computer. It just seems like that would introduce a delay of some sort. I'm glad it works, because that's exactly what I will do. I plan on not only playing samples in Logic, but using some of the soft synths and Ivory in Protools.
Thanks again for your input. Now all I have to do is load samples from CDs for the next 8 hours before I can even start!