Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2017, 02:18 PM

Default Buying/Selling Pro Tools Licences?

Sorry if its an obvious question, but is there still a mechanism for buying/selling Pro Tools (12)iLok licences via (for example) eBay like there used to be? Does Avid have a licence/account transfer system?

I seem to recall reading that their policy had changed. Maybe someone could clarify.

Cheers

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 07-23-2017, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Buying/Selling Pro Tools Licences?

Search: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/faq/en363631
Old 07-23-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
ah thank you....ok so its a little vague...looks like its costs the person selling is $39.99 & takes 5 days?...however...

"Some licenses can be transferred directly by the seller using iLok License Manager. If you do not wish to have Avid document a change in ownership, you may simply use the iLok License Manager application to transfer these iLok licenses to another account. Go to ilok.com to see the current license transfer fees."

..sooo....does that mean someone can transfer me a PT12 licence via the usual iLok route, & do the 'paperwork' afterwards, or does one have to go through the whole AVID thing first...

..anyone have experience of this?

Cheers

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

Old 07-23-2017, 03:22 PM

And you have to also spend ~$45 for the iLok (unless you already have an iLok 2 or 3).

If the asset is marked transferable in the iLok License Manager then they can transfer it to you.

But.. then how do you get updates since they won't be pushed to your Avid account (unless you already have other equivalent licenses), that is a large part of the need to go through Avid.

If you are looking to buy stuff like this and you have to ask lots of questions this is probably not for you. There are too many traps, including non-transferable licenses that might be sold on a physical iLok.

If you want to buy a license and are unclear on all the options I would recommend contacting a sales rep at a major reseller (Sweetwater in the USA).
Old 07-24-2017, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
And you have to also spend ~$45 for the iLok (unless you already have an iLok 2 or 3).

If the asset is marked transferable in the iLok License Manager then they can transfer it to you.

But.. then how do you get updates since they won't be pushed to your Avid account (unless you already have other equivalent licenses), that is a large part of the need to go through Avid.

If you are looking to buy stuff like this and you have to ask lots of questions this is probably not for you. There are too many traps, including non-transferable licenses that might be sold on a physical iLok.

If you want to buy a license and are unclear on all the options I would recommend contacting a sales rep at a major reseller (Sweetwater in the USA).
Hi Thanks. yes, I just wanted a PT12 Vanilla licence for my laptop, & saw a couple of people selling them for around the £200 mark. I see your point about updates though with the new system. I've got three HD10 rigs which are of course from a different era of Avid, where a licence covered all the updates too.

I hear you re orphaned iLok. Two of my PT10 licences are like that, but figured it made no odds are they are tied to older TDM hardware, (& upgrading my one 'fully owned' licence to PT12HD is mentally expensive)

So you are basically saying that even if I bought the licence & had it transferred to my iLok, I would be stuck at whatever version of PT12 the original owner used?

Old 07-24-2017, 02:29 AM

If ypu dont use the Transfer of ownership your Avid account wont reflect what you have and doing it "later" is only a viable option if you can get ahold of the seller again since he needs to do the TOO document for you to own the license.

And an ilok2 is needed otherwise your PT12 / 11 license wont show up as they require the new ilok keys versions 2 or 3.

Best of Luck and if you are gonna buy a used license make sure to do it right from the start otherwise it will not be in your Avid account ever should the seller disappear on you if you wait with transfering.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-24-2017, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
If ypu dont use the Transfer of ownership your Avid account wont reflect what you have and doing it "later" is only a viable option if you can get ahold of the seller again since he needs to do the TOO document for you to own the license.

And an ilok2 is needed otherwise your PT12 / 11 license wont show up as they require the new ilok keys versions 2 or 3.

Best of Luck and if you are gonna buy a used license make sure to do it right from the start otherwise it will not be in your Avid account ever should the seller disappear on you if you wait with transfering.
Yep I have plenty of Ilok2's, but thanks for the heads-up about the other issues. I appreciate everyone taking the time to explain.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:02 AM

Please excuse me for asking what is probably obvious to those of you in the know on this subject but I want to be clear about this.
Awhile back Avid was saying you could NOT sell and transfer a Protools HD12 license to someone else but from this thread it appears now you can? Is that correct? Has that changed? I just want to be sure because I have been thinking of selling my Omni and HDX card and if I could transfer the HD12 software with it the deal would be more appealing to the buyer. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioman1973 View Post
...Awhile back Avid was saying you could NOT sell and transfer a Protools HD12 license to someone else but from this thread it appears now you can? Is that correct? Has that changed?...
Correct, this changed back in May. Please see the Transfer of Ownership Information sticky at the top of this forum.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:35 AM

Thanks Jeffro!