Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 07-19-2017, 08:08 PM

Default PT 10 using resources while in idle?

Hello, my win 7 PC seems to be getting more and more sluggish the past few months for no apparent reason. Now PT is taking longer and longer to boot. I see that while in idle PT is using 12% to 20% of the PC resources, which I don't understand why it's working so hard while standing still. My NI libraries are on an external HD, so that's not the issue. I have 16 gigs of RAM, 3.2 gigahertz quad core intel i5....I've only used around 250 gigs of a 1TB HD.... I've ran diagnostics and nothing is showing up as unusual..... I'm stumped because I don't know if PT is the cause or something awry in my PC somewhere, but the PC runs ok outside of running PT..... I'm almost to the point of upgrading to an SSD, but what's the use unless I buy PT12 to take advantage of all that RAM. At any rate, is it normal for PT to be revving that high in idle?
Old 07-20-2017, 07:45 AM

Default Re: PT 10 using resources while in idle?

Do you use a second hard drive for your sessions or are you only using the system drive? How full is it?

PT does tend to take over a computer's resources. Many will tell you an i5 is not enough CPU for PT.

YMMV
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction