Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Problem in 6.9.1 w/ Parallel Compression-HELP!

Hello,
thanks in advance to anyone to can help shed some light on this problem.

I just got a records worth of mixes approved, and now I'm going back to print the 24 bit mix masters.
In the time between when I did the mixes, and then got them approved; I upgraded Pro Tools from 6.4 to 6.9.1.

Since I've been mixing exclusively ITB (about 2+ years), this is how I set-up parallel compression on a drum-buss:

-Take all my drum tracks and route them out buss 1 and 2
-create 2 stereo aux tracks both inputs set to buss 1 and 2
-put identical plug-ins on both aux tracks, and set all the plugs on one aux track to "bypass"
-blend the 2 aux tracks to taste to achive the desired amount of drum compression

Obviously this method wastes some DSP resources. This hasn't been too much of an urgent problem since I 'm running an Accel 3 HD system. I'd like to eventually figure out a way to do this without wasting DSP, but the point is: this is the only way I could do it while keeping the 2 stereo aux tracks in phase, no comb filtering.

When automatic delay compensation came about w/ 6.4.1, I thought I'd be able to achive this w/o having the plug-ins on bypass. It seems that the delay compensation didn't work the same on the aux tracks as it did on the audio tracks. So even on 6.4.1, the only way to do parallel compression w/o any comb-filtering was to keep plug-ins on "bypass".
I hope I'm explaining this right.

As I'm opening up these mixes in 6.9.1, it's obvious that all my drum tracks are comb-filtered.
So far, I've tried to make the plugs on the non-compressed aux track inactive while setting the Auto delay compensation on. No luck! I've also tried leaving the plugs in bypass, while turning off the delay compensation (which should be the equivalent of a pre 6.4 set-up) No luck there either.

Can anyone shed some light on how I can get these drum tracks playing back they way they did before I upgraded to 6.9.1?

thanks,
Ken Sluiter
Old 09-14-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Problem in 6.9.1 w/ Parallel Compression-HELP!

not sure what's up. i do exactly the same thing as you but i don't have to use plugs in bypass, ADC takes care of it for me.
drew

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:15 PM

Did you have to use plug in's in bypass before 6.4?
Which version are you using currently?
Which plug ins?
For my drum compression, I use the Bomb Factory Fairchild or the McDSP MC2000 or sometimes both.

Are you using long or short delay compensation?
Old 09-14-2005, 12:40 PM

yea, pre 6.4 the bypassed plugs worked well.

mostly it's hardware inserts with RenComp here and there.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Hello,

-Take all my drum tracks and route them out buss 1 and 2
-create 2 stereo aux tracks both inputs set to buss 1 and 2
-put identical plug-ins on both aux tracks, and set all the plugs on one aux track to "bypass"
-blend the 2 aux tracks to taste to achive the desired amount of drum compression

Ken Sluiter
Why use 2 drum busses? doesn't this play havoc with phasing and mono compatability!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:37 PM

The idea of sending the srums to 2 seperate aux tracks is so that I can combine a mix of uncompressed drums w/ a mix of compressed drums. There is no phase problems when it works properly, which it was up until I upgraded to 6.9.1
Old 09-14-2005, 04:11 PM

There‘s no need to have twin Plug-in sets, if ADC is working properly. It does indeed waste DSP resources.

As for the comb-filtering you’re currently experiencing, here are a few things for a check list:

1) make sure that ADC is turned on (sorry, but ya never know),

2) that you don’t have any manual ADC settings (ADC bypass or -/+ amounts) on any of the channels involved,

3) and that you’re not exceeding the maximum available ADC values on the channels involved.

4) It is possible that one of your plug-ins might not be “declaring” correct delay amounts to the system. Try to disable (not bypass) all plug-ins involved, one-by-one. (Additionally, check that you have the most up-to-date versions of all your plug-ins.)

5) Try recreating your busses from scratch, adding “fresh” instantiations of all the plug-ins.

I hope this helps.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 09-14-2005, 04:33 PM

Without addressing the issue of why this is happening, here's a quick fix. Put a stereo Time Adjuster plugin on each drum bus and flip one out of phase. Put your plugins on both channels in bypass, so the tracks are identical sounding. Set them at the same volume. Arbitrarily pick one Time Adjuster and slowly start increasing the delay on that track as you listen to them play together. Hopefully, at some point the tracks will start to null out. If not, then set that Time Adjuster back to zero and do it with the other one. In one case or the other you'll hear your drums start to null out. There should be a point at which they disappear completely. You are now lined up correctly. Flip the one Time Adjuster back in phase, unmute your plugins, and set your relative balances.

-R
Old 09-14-2005, 05:17 PM

Quote:
There‘s no need to have twin Plug-in sets, if ADC is working properly. It does indeed waste DSP resources.

As for the comb-filtering you’re currently experiencing, here are a few things for a check list:

1) make sure that ADC is turned on (sorry, but ya never know),

2) that you don’t have any manual ADC settings (ADC bypass or -/+ amounts) on any of the channels involved,

3) and that you’re not exceeding the maximum available ADC values on the channels involved.

4) It is possible that one of your plug-ins might not be “declaring” correct delay amounts to the system. Try to disable (not bypass) all plug-ins involved, one-by-one. (Additionally, check that you have the most up-to-date versions of all your plug-ins.)

5) Try recreating your busses from scratch, adding “fresh” instantiations of all the plug-ins.

I hope this helps.
How do you check for manual ADC compensation settings?
Old 09-14-2005, 05:24 PM

To view Delay Compensation information:

Choose Display > Mix Window Shows > Delay Compensation View.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)