Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2009, 01:31 PM

Default Re: here are some things which you can`t get from a plugin

the best tips I give anyone on our list that is interested is
1: Where to buy from, i personally like buying from Japan - if you buy from modeless factory the equipment is restored for long life -his price includes shipping and he is an ex Roland engineer

http://modelessfactory.com/default.aspx

http://www.cem3374.com/

http://www.echigoyamusic.com/used/se...i?CATE=Vintage
With echigoyamusic you will find that the US made equipment is overpriced but... they have great deals for the Made in Japan classics --eg Roland JP6 99,800 JPY

Also how to connect to Pro Tools and use your midi sequences with non midi synths that have CV /gate jack inputs
http://www.kentonuk.com/digital_inte...s_extras.shtml

quite often I will record via my Kenton midi-CV into a Roland MC4 and sync the Roland MC4 to Pro Tools midi clock via the kenton din socket output
I use the MC4 a lot to make beats using my system 100 101 and 102 -- for me I worry a lot about midi in DAWs like Pro Tools and Logic and only use midi as per above--you want to get the audio into Pro Tools and get out ==I always record at 88 K (double 44.1)

2: Finally there is a trend with modular synths here is starter
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr0...ingmodular.htm
Old 09-05-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSB View Post
may be of interest to Pro Tools HD users that like plugins
Top 5 dumbest things I have ever read on the DUC

Quote:
Eric Lambert..........

That's why I open my plugins in advance of using them - to let them warm up.
Top 5 funniest things ever read on the DUC
Old 09-05-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSB View Post
I worry a lot about midi in DAWs like Pro Tools and Logic and only use midi as per above--you want to get the audio into Pro Tools and get out ==
I wish I had time to respond to this gem.... but I don't. ff
Old 09-05-2009, 02:17 PM

One thing I can't do with Analog gear that I can do with plug-ins.

1. Get home at reasonable time and have a life outside a studio.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:21 PM

I appreciate the point of this thread and respect both worlds. I wish I owned more hardware, mainly because it doesn't become 'incompatible' ever. It works or it doesnt.

But I am optimistic that plug-ins will advanced to the point where we can emulate these very small variables as well. Maybe not exact, but close enough.

The main difference being as stated - obviously, with anything in the physical world, no two objects are exactly alike, while in digital (at least with the program code itself) this isn't the case. Like how a window gets fatter at the bottom over time, because although you can't see it, molecules are moving and changing and gravity is always exerting force on that window and your body as you're sitting there reading this.

I was reading Nika Aldrich's Digital Audio Explained book and he stating that there is no sound that exist in the analog domain that can't be recreated in the digital domain just as good or better.

I like that idea. I like thinking that we'll get so close between software and hardware emulations that it'll become totally accepted. With some more time and advancements, I believe plug-ins will not be looked down upon in favor to hardware (except with nostalgic love) , especially with the new generations of pro/semi-pro audio kids & young adults growing up with a 'do it all in the box' type of setup.

They might even think the software version sounds better than the hardware its emulating. Just like the mp3 effect, where Stanford University did years of studies and proved young people actually prefer the lower sound quality of mp3s over lossless audio?!, thinking they sound better, because that's what they are use to listening to and what their minds perceive as 'normal' or best.
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15607-M...ng-people.html

Not to say, that the quality of the effects will be lower compared to their emulated counterparts like mp3 is. I'm saying the quality of digital products will become higher, WHILE the general populations ears will become more comfortable with digital sound over time and grow accustom to it.

...And then robots will take over the world while playing 'We are the Champions' transmitted to the tiny mirco-chipped octo-core intel computer implanted in our brains at birth.

Reminds me of The Last Mimzy, have you guys seen that? ...like the bear that's from the future and they see the microprocessors installed into it are made by Intel.

Last edited by Premo; 09-05-2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-05-2009, 03:22 PM

there are some great buys at good prices still around on Ebay US--all this gear can be serviced for a long life that you can use for many years to come
For those starting out best to use a good monophonic for bass and sequences as the EG's are much faster
eg
Mono synths that I like
Roland SH-1 --uses same chips as Roland System 700 $500
Korg MS-20 the classic mono synth has a great filter and a good audio in processor-- $1500
Roland SH5--the best all in one Roland Mono $1500
Roland System 100 101 $1000

Kenton Pro Solo 2 $200 MIDI to CV
Roland MC4 Microcomposer $600-700 the best pre midi sequencer

Polys
Roland Juno 60 --better sound and filters than 106 $400
Roland MKS-80 Jupiter 8 in a rack $1500 plus
Roland Jupiter 6 $1200-1300
Korg Polysix $400
Prophet 600 --almost as good as Pro 5 $600-700
Old 09-05-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premo View Post
Stanford University did years of studies and proved young people actually prefer the lower sound quality of mp3s over lossless audio?!, thinking they sound better, because that's what they are use to listening to and what their minds perceive as 'normal' or best.
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15607-M...ng-people.html
This is a goodone.. I say kids prefer hamburgers and french fries to real food and it does not take me years of studies to come to that conclusion
Old 09-05-2009, 05:21 PM

Great post by Premo-I do wish that PT and Logic would stop development of all VI's and instead focus on really useful plugins like Analog channels--most people cannot afford a big vintage desk but anyone can get a a great analog synth
Ok you can sample a TR-808 kick for example and sequence that in the box using a VI track..............but a real TR-808 kick will always be a lot better if you sync the 808 to midi clock (eg Kenton Pro Solo Roland -Din Sync) and record 7 minutes of the kick from start to finish every few hits the waveform will be not be the same.

How about playing back monophonic midi sequences from a PT midi track into and recording them into a pre midi sequencer eg Roland MC4B Micro-composer (the best),MC-202 or CSQ-600 (via the Kenton Midi to CV box) and then use those machines to play the sequences and drive the synths rather then use the midi tracks on the DAW. You can sync the Roland MC4B to Pro Tools via midi clock out ---Roland Din sync In MC4B
Old 09-05-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formfunction View Post
Top 5 dumbest things I have ever read on the DUC

Top 5 funniest things ever read on the DUC
top 5 dumbest thread reply I´ve ever read on the DUC

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 09-05-2009, 07:11 PM

really -what is wrong with talking about techniques of how to clock the old equipment to Pro Tools and also the idea of using the MC-4 for sequences
No merit in any of these techniques?
eg Korg MS-20 great audio in processor-- you can use a VI (mono track --select a sound with a sine wave) and send its audio out to the MS-20 audio in processor!!!!