Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-26-2006, 07:43 AM

Default PEC/DIR switching on ProControl?

I'm re-posting this one, didn't draw any attention at ProControl forum. Any ideas are welcome.

Is it possible to hit some button(s) on ProControl to toggle Pec?Dir status of a stem? I was reading through Digi Reference guide for 7.2 and couldn't find anything about it.

Branko
Old 08-28-2006, 10:04 AM

Default Re: PEC/DIR switching on ProControl?

Hi Branko,

I've asked digi about this many times, and it's not even an option on the ICON.... requires some major harware stuff, and also would take a huge voice count apparently.

There is a work around that I use though. I have my main mix bussed to 'monitor out' (the 'main' outs on the XMON on the ICON) and an aux send (set to unity) on the master bus going to the input of my record track. The record track output is bussed to 'alternative 5.1', which is a separate slector on the XMON monitor panel.

This way, when I want to listen to my mix (direct) I have main outs selected, and when I want to listen 'of tape' so to speak (PEC) I flip the monitoring selector to alt 5.1. IT's not very elegant, and won't work if you are recording stems, but it does kinda work.

I know the monitoring matrix on the ProContol has various 'alt' options, but I'm afraid I don't know how they are configured....

hope that helps!

if anyone else has any other work arounds, do post them here!

Mat
Old 08-28-2006, 03:29 PM

Hi Mat,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this is not the solution I'm looking for.
I was looking for something, some keyboard shortcut that can be translated to one of PC's unused buttons, that will just switch from track input to track output. In my studio setup, I already have two sets of outputs (or more, if needed), one goes to monotors (Dolby's CP) and another goes to DMU. The idea was (I suppose that's the idea of DIR/PEC paddle switch on the console) to change the monitoring state of each of my virtual "stem recorders" inside the ProTools, from input to off tape. By the way, what is the difference between Input/Auto Input switching and PEC/DIR if I cannot control it on each recorder's track?
Digi, please answer, why was it named DIR/PEC and how was it ment to be used?
Thank you in advance.
Branko
Old 08-28-2006, 03:40 PM

Quote:

The term "PEC/Direct" was created in days long past, when recorders on film stages were optical. PEC stands for photoelectric cell, the output of which was listened to on playback.

It's amazing how some terms live on, long after they become outdated.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:

The term "PEC/Direct" was created in days long past, when recorders on film stages were optical. PEC stands for photoelectric cell, the output of which was listened to on playback.

It's amazing how some terms live on, long after they become outdated.
just to augment...

back in the day, mixers mixed to the Optcial Track. the PEC/Direct was on a switch, or paddle. Direct was towards you and monitored the input source. PEC was forward to the screen and monitored your playback. it was used to match levels between the two in the days before console automation -- which hit film studios a lot later than music studios.

you could also go into and out of record by means of these paddles...and you could do this on a track by track basis, say, to fix a dialogue thing.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 08-29-2006, 03:44 AM

Just for the record, on the Westrex console, on which I learned my first steps in film mixing, the DIR/PEC paddle was UP for DIR and DOWN for PEC.
My question was, in case I wasn't clear, why Digidesign named this particular ProTools function "DIR/PEC style" monitoring, when I cannot see any similarity in operation with the real one. Let me put it this way: wheré's the button and how it works? Once again, it is not clearly explained in the manual / reference guide.
Branko
Old 08-29-2006, 06:36 AM

Here is a link to the Pec/Direct panel for Pro Tools:
http://www.colinbroad.com/cbsoft/man...s/pd1flyer.pdf
Look closely at the picture for the "Pec/ direct switching.

As for"Pec/direct" the paddle is "Pec" (or from the recorder) is toward the Mixer, "direct" (or Input) is toward the screen.
During the days when there wasn't Fader automation you would see the Mixer quickly toggleing back and forth "Pec then direct then Pec" to match his/her level before punching in to record.
On an SSL 6000 the switching was push down for input, push down(up)again for tape, recorder , playback etc.
Things are much easier now (Thank God!!!).
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:30 AM

PEC actually stands for Photo Electric Cell and harks back to the days when sound was recorded optically on the dub stage!

The 'input/repro' (to use more modern terminology) paddle switched to input in the upward direction so that when you flipped the record paddle (also upwards) you didn't here the splat from the (mag) recorder's sync head.

Some facilities require that you shouldn't be able to paddle PEC/Direct if a track is not armed, the logic being "the track won't go into record so why paddle?" Colin's PD-1 includes an option to enable that logic if required.

We've worked with both CB and Soundmaster to include some additional features by adding commands to the Sony P2 protocol. Mute and Solo are both available and the PD-1 implements Solo by muting other tracks, this saves getting into a 'Solo safe' conundrum. You can effectively create a simple monitor formatter within a Pro Tools session that allows you do have separate Dialog, Music and Effects stems with a mix down to a composite stem. You can then Cut or Solo any track on any stem.

-Doug

Product Manager, Post Production
Old 08-29-2006, 03:31 PM

Hello Doc,
thanks for the link, that was something I was looking for.
Branko
Old 08-29-2006, 03:35 PM

Hello Doug,
thank you for the answer. If I understood correctly, one can control Dir/Pec switching through 9-pin protocol. Is it going to be possible to use 9-pin ports on Sync I/O this time?
Branko