Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-09-2002, 09:24 AM

Default I guess an XP version of Pro Tools will be here before we get an OSX version...

They get theirs in May...
from http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...;f=32;t=006779
In spite of that, we have actually stated numerous times on the DUC that the expected time frame is sometime in May, and
so far we are doing very well at keeping on schedule. It would not surprise me at all to see some last minute things come
up that would cause it to slip an extra week or two, but that is always the nature with software development. It's not
finished until it is finished. We've all seen companies "duck ship" software before, just to get it out the door regardless of
whether it should be, and I think most people would agree that Digi is definitely not one of those companies.
Old 05-10-2002, 02:11 PM

Default Re: I guess an XP version of Pro Tools will be here before we get an OSX version...

Actually if you read the whole message, It quotes the info on the Compatability Documents about having no definate timeframe for both XP and Mac OS X. Also remember PC people have beem using windows 2000 for a few years now and still no LE version for them yet. It seems to imply that they're penned for release sometime in may but may be a few weeks later than planned. It doesn't say, XP version will be in may in so many words so It could mean an OS X and XP version are in the works. isn't it digiworld next week ? Apple are usually heavily involved in it or at least promote it on their site every year so it would seem to make sense for an OS X version of Protools to be at least previewed very soon.

Think optimistic, Even if we don't get an OS X version at the same time as the XP version comes out, it just gives the plug-in developers more time to work on OS X versions of their products. I've stuck with the stock effects for now but some good deals seem to be cropping up here and there on the Digi001 Factory bundle and I'd love it if I could get it next year with all the third party plug-ins OS X native aswell.
Old 05-11-2002, 04:11 AM

Default Re: I guess an XP version of Pro Tools will be here before we get an OSX version...

John, Digi have said in a few posts (PT LE PC baord) around May for PT XP.

As for PT OS X, Mac OS X in itselt isnt ready for audio yet anyways. Its more than likely PT OS X release will coincide with Mac OS X 10.2 release (end summer).

I think the Winhoez users deserve their new PT release before the Mac release. I mean really i feel so sorry for anyone who has to run anything on Winblowz98...It's possibly the worlds worst OS ever. Darn right torture to have to use that crap me thinx.

As for PT on Mac OS 9x, it still runs beautifully. There is little to complain about, we can afford to wait.

Targon
Old 05-11-2002, 04:39 AM

I agree with Targon.

I'm in no rush for PT OSX. The reason being, I don't really want to upgrade me recording Mac to OSX b/c 9 works so well. If I used the computer for other things, then I might think different, but I see OSX plus a new version of PT as being an added expensive (new software, more ram, etc). I know I could just remain in 9, but then I'm not running the latest version of PT and this may cause some compatibility problems.

I'm also kinda scarred of an Aqua-fied ProTools environment.
Everything That's Fly
Old 05-11-2002, 04:55 AM

As a PC user I must say 5.1.1 with Win98 runs smoothly here. Never crashed!.

Still XP is a better OS (as OS X [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ).

The release for PC will be sooner to OS X I almost certain because of few facts...
- HD & MBox cannot be installed on PC Based system.
- While Windows XP is actually the same Win32 API with small differences, OS X & MacOS 9.x is like the difference between DOS & Windows (not in quality ofcourse but in writing for it).
The entire OS X is actually UNIX (Linux) based.
so old those resource fork and mac's greatest (that also make compatibility of the greatest pretty rough with other systems and file systems) require Reprogramming and a lot work from Digi's side.

I still use digi h/w - s/w because of 3 reasons:

- They sound much better than any other system. (Computer DAW)
- They have the greatest UI around.
- STABILITY!. Windows/Mac, I can count on the system to run for as long as I need.

I guess digi decided to wait for a while (Why there's no HD OS-X version?) with OS X & wait until it'll be "stable" (only from 10.1 it became truly worth working [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ).

And still MacOS 9 is better than any WinBased so don't get upset [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .
Old 05-11-2002, 05:58 AM

Don't forget we (the pc-protools users) havent got the full deal up till now (i hope).

Digidesign promised us:

Direct-connect
quicktime support

These are very nice and handy features wich were NEVER yet available for pc-protools users (ptfree, ptle and pt-TDM!). So i think its time we get what you mac-people have had for years. I dont want to sound bitter or platform-flaming. Its just a fact, that even digidesign recognizes....

Bastiaan