How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 02-01-2019, 11:28 AM

Default Re: It's a sad day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
We had an issue with modules losing connection. We fixed it by building our own cat6 cables (instead of using those that came with the device) and not plugging into the patch panel on the S6 and instead going directly into the switch.

Had it continued, our next step was going to be to drop the Switch that cam with the S6 and get something a bit more robust.
Thanks for the tip. Replacing the switch with a professional would be our next step too.
There are some hints though that perhaps multicast packets from our Trinnov could make the S6 throw its hands up.
Strange thing is that the Trinnovs are in all rooms and we have mainly problems with one room. But the others show the same behavior sometimes too.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:39 AM
Avid

How old is your S6, we did have a bad batch of cable crimps a while back but they were replaced in production a while back.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
How old is your S6, we did have a bad batch of cable crimps a while back but they were replaced in production a while back.
When did that happen?
Mine is 3 years old now, and I have had my share of modules disconnecting.

It would be great if we were told stuff like that, that cound save many S6 owners a headache.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:25 AM

Quote:
What serial numbers were affected by this?
Old 02-03-2019, 07:46 AM
Avid

Greetings,

If troubleshooting network or connectivity issues I would recommend the following:

(1) Double check all Ethernet connections. I’ll defer to Eddie on specific known cable failure ranges.
(2) Use Port 1 on the Master Module whether using internal DHCP generation or being fed from an external router. There were some known failures on Port 2 of certain motherboards.
(3) Double check, or if necessary, bypass the pass-thru RJ45 connectors on the back of the frame if you are observing an intermittent connection issue.
(4) If there’s a lot of IP-Audio, Network Storage or other traffic, isolate the S6 connection to a dedicate NIC on your workstation.

best,

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 02-04-2019, 10:27 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
What serial numbers were affected by this?
We don't know, we started to notice a few cables from a particular supplier were bad (not all) so we switched supplier straight away. Unfortunately, it was hard for us to tell if this was just a few cables or many. I was just suggesting it was something to try.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
We don't know, we started to notice a few cables from a particular supplier were bad (not all) so we switched supplier straight away. Unfortunately, it was hard for us to tell if this was just a few cables or many. I was just suggesting it was something to try.
At least you could let us know when you changed supplier, that way we know if our cables came from the old one, and there's a risk of them failing!
Old 02-05-2019, 05:14 PM
Avid

That wouldn't be easy... there are months of difference between when a supplier ships to when systems are built to when they ship from the factory to when the dealer sells them. As I said we didn't think it was a widespread issue at the time(and still don't). We changed as a safety measure. I would hate to have had to alarm 1000's of users and have them all changing out cables unnecessarily.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:32 AM

Quote:
That wouldn't be easy... there are months of difference between when a supplier ships to when systems are built to when they ship from the factory to when the dealer sells them. As I said we didn't think it was a widespread issue at the time(and still don't). We changed as a safety measure. I would hate to have had to alarm 1000's of users and have them all changing out cables unnecessarily.
Well, that's what proper manufacturing processes do, right? Track stuff. If you cannot tell what part of what manufacturer went into which desk that was delivered at what date to which seller you really should talk to your COO about this.

And from a user's perspective, I'd rather get a notice that something could have issues even if I might not be affected than no notice at all.
You're selling a premium product. This should be reflected in the communication processes.
Imagine a car manufacturer not notifying customers if the brakes could possibly fail because of a bad delivery from a supplier.
Now imagine same car manufacturer not being able to tell the customer what cars are affected and using this as an excuse to not even communicate the issue!
Normally if something like this happens I expect to get notified and offered a free exchange of the faulty part, even if it only 'could' be faulty for a product in this category.

I have to say I'm quite surprised! And not in a very good way after spending almost $200k on your product.

That being said, is it true that Avid changed the soft buttons in the center section after a while to better quality ones? Just heard that as a rumor, it wasn't communicated either. Would be nice to get the official version of this.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:35 AM
Avid

I'm sorry but you obviously don't understand how manufacturing works and comparing car brakes to an ethernet cable is not valid. Cars get recalled for items that are life-threatening. Does Apple notify its users every time it has a component issue, no. There are 10,000's of parts in an S6 and we rely on 100's of suppliers. Just like any other manufacturer sometimes we get let down, and in 99.9% of the cases, customers never know. Its a massive task and we are not about to send out emails every day letting customers know each time there's an issue!
Saying because we found some bad crimps in a few ethernet cables that we should have alerted about 1000 S6 users who had them from this manufacturer and told them they should rewire their consoles (mostly unnecessarily) is not productive. Mind reading which customer had a faulty cable is also impossible.
I probably shouldn't have gone into so much detail before but I try to be as honest as possible on here. Despite what some think, Avid DOES really care about its customers and the quality of products and we do our best to support them.

As far as buttons, just like all our products we are constantly trying to improve them so yes there have been different versions. If you have an issue with a broken button on an earlier S6 then Customer Service will certainly help you out.
Eddie