Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 03-16-2018, 04:10 AM

Default Horn VIs

Are there any free Horn VIs worth checking out that are better than what XPand 2 and Structure Free have to offer? I'm not writing big band or orchestral scores, just some pop/rock that has a few horn parts.

I was recommended the Chris Hein stuff and NI Session Horns. They sound awesome but cost like $800!
Old 03-16-2018, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Horn VIs

Do you have Kontakt?

If so, do a search for FREE HORNS KONTAKT and you’ll come across a few libraries. They may be good or crap, but hey, they’re free.

Worth a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2018, 05:24 AM

Also Sampletank 3 has some usable horns as well. Not stellar but usable.

QAPLA!
Old 03-17-2018, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Do you have Kontakt?

If so, do a search for FREE HORNS KONTAKT and you’ll come across a few libraries. They may be good or crap, but hey, they’re free.
Yes. I'll give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Also Sampletank 3 has some usable horns as well. Not stellar but usable.
It sounds familiar. I think I might have already downloaded it a while back, along with a bunch of other free samples/VI's, but never got around to installing them. Maybe one of 'em has a good Baritone Sax.. I know our friend George was pretty fond of it.

I can hear what I want in my head, but I'm not familiar enough with horns to recognize which one I'm hearing. My guess would be trumpet.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
Yes. I'll give it a shot.

It sounds familiar. I think I might have already downloaded it a while back, along with a bunch of other free samples/VI's, but never got around to installing them. Maybe one of 'em has a good Baritone Sax.. I know our friend George was pretty fond of it.

I can hear what I want in my head, but I'm not familiar enough with horns to recognize which one I'm hearing. My guess would be trumpet.
Sax is one of those that a lot of libraries don't cover for some strange reason. Keep in mind that saxes are not brass but considered as part of the woodwind family as they use a reed in the mouthpiece and brass instruments like trumpets do not.

QAPLA!
Old 03-17-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Keep in mind that saxes are not brass but considered as part of the woodwind family as they use a reed in the mouthpiece and brass instruments like trumpets do not.
Ya, that's why I've been going with horn.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:47 AM

I have seen people hate, but Session Horns Pro is easy and decent sounding.

They sell second hand very affordably and for simple pop stuff....you can't beat it.

I personally don't like the Horn Sections in Kontact's main library.
To Orchestral and not enough main stream music sound.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
I have seen people hate, but Session Horns Pro is easy and decent sounding.

They sell second hand very affordably and for simple pop stuff....you can't beat it.

I personally don't like the Horn Sections in Kontact's main library.
To Orchestral and not enough main stream music sound.
Ya, in some of the reading I've done, the horn sound for pop vs big band or classical is not universal.

My main issue is that this pop/rock project I'm working on doesn't warrant me spending any cash. Especially if what I'm buying will solely be for the project. My main love is heavy blues, which doesn't really mix well with horns.. atleast from what I've heard or written. I won't bore you with the details, but we wanna do something different, that's out of our comfort zone.

I need/want so much equipment right now that spending money on high quality VI horns, just to fill a few bars and transitions, seems like a poor use of my thin wallet. Only 2 or 3 of our 10 songs require horns for the main riff. The catch is that if the horns sound like ****e, the song won't come off as strong, and might even ruin it.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
Ya, in some of the reading I've done, the horn sound for pop vs big band or classical is not universal.

My main issue is that this pop/rock project I'm working on doesn't warrant me spending any cash. Especially if what I'm buying will solely be for the project. My main love is heavy blues, which doesn't really mix well with horns.. atleast from what I've heard or written. I won't bore you with the details, but we wanna do something different, that's out of our comfort zone.

I need/want so much equipment right now that spending money on high quality VI horns, just to fill a few bars and transitions, seems like a poor use of my thin wallet. Only 2 or 3 of our 10 songs require horns for the main riff. The catch is that if the horns sound like ****e, the song won't come off as strong, and might even ruin it.
Do you have the tracks already recorded as MIDI? If so I could take a stab at orchestrating them for you. This would be dependent on the file size being small enough to go via email as I don't have a DropBox account.

QAPLA!
Old 03-17-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Do you have the tracks already recorded as MIDI? If so I could take a stab at orchestrating them for you. This would be dependent on the file size being small enough to go via email as I don't have a DropBox account.
Oh, kick ass! That would be amazing. I'm just about finished writing the songs. After that it shouldn't take too long recording them. I'll PM ya when I got something tracked. Thanks.