Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 12-24-2017, 03:48 PM

Default resetting the hardware engine

How do you set your playback engine? I'm using a Steinburg UR 22 mkII mixer, but somehow, my playback engine reset itself to my computer motherboard's sound card, which is Realtek Digital output. Consequently, I can't open any ProTools sessions now (see attachment 1). When I open the Playback Engine, I don't see any options to type in my Steinburg mixer. (See attachment 2.) Where do I go to switch from my computer's sound card back to my mixer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg playback engine(1).jpg (14.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg playback engine(2).jpg (18.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-24-2017, 03:50 PM

Default Re: resetting the hardware engine

Hey

Launch PT with the N key held down and choose the Steinberg interface when the popup window comes up and see of that helps.

PS. You say "Mixer" but it is called interface just so there is no confusion os misunderstanding

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-24-2017, 08:02 PM

What he said^^^ and if you are not able to select the Steinberg to be the "audio engine" in Pro Tools, your Windows is likely using the Steinberg as the Default Playback Device(Windows usually NEEDS to NOT use the interface, to avoid hardware conflicts between Windows and Pro Tools) The other possibility is the connection is bad(bad USB cable or you forgot the required system tweak of UNchecking the Power Management feature on all USB ports(aka "USB Root Hub" in Device Manager)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-28-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Hey

Launch PT with the N key held down and choose the Steinberg interface when the popup window comes up and see of that helps.

PS. You say "Mixer" but it is called interface just so there is no confusion os misunderstanding
Thanks for your reply. By holding the n key down while I opened Protools, I was able to choose my Steinberg interface as shown in the 1st attachment. Now, I can open a ProTools session. But when I want to play or edit my recording, I get the message shown in the 2nd attachment. ("ProTools could not initialize the Yamaha Steinberg ASB ASIO. Please make sure the device has been configured correctly.") After that, it's impossible to close the session without having to press ctrl alt del to shut down the whole program.
Last night when I opened ProTools, I automatically got a pop-up that allowed me to select my Steinberg interface. Everything went fine, and I was able to record and edit as usual. Tonight, no. What is going on here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg playback engine(3).jpg (16.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg playback engine(4).jpg (55.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-28-2017, 06:37 PM

Did you go into Sound>Properties and set Windows to use the Realtek as its default playback device?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-28-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
What he said^^^ and if you are not able to select the Steinberg to be the "audio engine" in Pro Tools, your Windows is likely using the Steinberg as the Default Playback Device(Windows usually NEEDS to NOT use the interface, to avoid hardware conflicts between Windows and Pro Tools) The other possibility is the connection is bad(bad USB cable or you forgot the required system tweak of UNchecking the Power Management feature on all USB ports(aka "USB Root Hub" in Device Manager)
Thanks for your reply. Please see the previous post above. I want my Steinberg to be the Default Playback Device in Windows. I had selected it a long time ago, and it had always worked. But in the last three days, it's started defaulting to the Real-Tek sound card on my computer's motherboard instead. How or why this happened, I don't have a clue.
The connections are good, and the USB cable itself isn't the problem.
I've never had to deal with power management on the USB ports in the Device Manager, since I use only 3 or 4.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmorgan View Post
Thanks for your reply. Please see the previous post above. I want my Steinberg to be the Default Playback Device in Windows. I had selected it a long time ago, and it had always worked. But in the last three days, it's started defaulting to the Real-Tek sound card on my computer's motherboard instead. How or why this happened, I don't have a clue.
The connections are good, and the USB cable itself isn't the problem.
I've never had to deal with power management on the USB ports in the Device Manager, since I use only 3 or 4.
It always worked, well until now. What you want and what is a good idea are two different things, experienced folks here are advising you not to have the your audio interface set as the Windows sound device....
Old 12-28-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Did you go into Sound>Properties and set Windows to use the Realtek as its default playback device?
No, I set it to the Steinberg, as you can see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg playback engine(5).jpg (55.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-29-2017, 01:46 AM

Windows should not be using your Steinberg interface as it will tend to take over and stop PT having access. In my case the Realtek output goes to a patchbay and can be plugged into the monitors there. USB power management settings stop the USB ports powering down if they detect no activity.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 01-06-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzoboy View Post
Windows should not be using your Steinberg interface as it will tend to take over and stop PT having access. In my case the Realtek output goes to a patchbay and can be plugged into the monitors there. USB power management settings stop the USB ports powering down if they detect no activity.
Hmmm, first time I've heard anything like that. I've had all my computer's sound defaulting through my Steinberg interface since I bought it more than a year ago, and through an MBox Mini since 2012. Never had a problem. How do you get ProTools to run using the Realtek sound card? It doesn't support a sample rate of 44.1kHz as a playback engine.
Another question: Could you possibly send a screen shot of where you can change the USB power settings?
Thanks!