How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2017, 02:19 PM

Default Noobie Looking For Threads About Setup Best Practices

Hello;

I'm new to the forum, Pro Tools, and recording in general and don't want to bog members down with the same old questions every noobies asks, so I'm asking for you long timers to just point me at the right threads in the forum to read, if possible.

I'm looking for threads that explain best practices for the setup of Pro Tools, and then best practices for the how projects are setup and stored. I've always been interested in recording, and wish I would have pursued it as a career, but that's water long gone under the bridge and my interest now is just laying down pedal steel tracks over songs so I can analyze what I'm playing. An example of the kinds of basic things I'm hoping to learn is; since my computer is setup with 480 GB SSD system drive and a standard 1TB storage drive, should I setup my default file location on the SSD or on the storage drive, and then move the project to the storage drive when I'm done working on it? Also would love some reading on file structure setup best practices. I really don't want my audio files ending up to be a mess like my photo editing files.

I haven't yet bought Pro Tools, still researching interfaces and such. At the present, I'm thinking about picking up a like new 003 that is for sale locally so I have the control surface and I?O's in one unit. I want the tracks I record to sound good, but given my use, cutting edge sound quality isn't necessary.

Sooo, thanks in advance, and sorry if this is the post from hell you all hate to see. I did do a search and really didn't find anything addressing these questions directly. I'm sure it's there somewhere, just hoping to get pointed in the right direction.

Thanks

My signature isn't showing up so here is my system info.

Mid 2010 Mac Pro 5.1
2 x 2.4 GHz Quad Core Xeon
12 GB Ram
480 GB SSD System Drive
1 TB Storage drive
ATI Radeon HD 5770
Old 03-04-2017, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Noobie Looking For Threads About Setup Best Practices

The question to ask is, Why are you buying Pro Tools? Have you identified that it is the right DAW for your needs? If you are going to do a lot of midi work using virtual instruments, it's possible another DAW, such as Cubase or Logic, may be more suited to your needs. Do your research and try some of the demos before committing.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 03-04-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzoboy View Post
The question to ask is, Why are you buying Pro Tools? Have you identified that it is the right DAW for your needs? If you are going to do a lot of midi work using virtual instruments, it's possible another DAW, such as Cubase or Logic, may be more suited to your needs. Do your research and try some of the demos before committing.
Like I said, I'll be recording pedal steel tracks. I won't be using any midi virtual instruments.
480 GB SSD System Drive
1 TB Storage drive
ATI Radeon HD 5770
Old 03-05-2017, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCecchetto View Post
Like I said, I'll be recording pedal steel tracks. I won't be using any midi virtual instruments.
PT is going to be way more than you need for that. In addition to the two daws that were mentioned also take a look at Digital Performer 9. 30 day free fully functioning trial and you don't need an iLok.

As to drives good that you have a second drive and that's where you want to have any daw record to. Don't go through the business of recording to the system drive and then moving the session to another drive - you could miss files if you're not careful, especially considering you're new to this game. You say it's a 'standard' 1 TB storage drive but don't say exactly what that drive is and what it's specs are. For audio work if you're using a spinner you want 7200 rpm speed in a non-green drive. Is this drive internal to your Mac?

QAPLA!
Old 03-05-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
PT is going to be way more than you need for that. In addition to the two daws that were mentioned also take a look at Digital Performer 9. 30 day free fully functioning trial and you don't need an iLok.

As to drives good that you have a second drive and that's where you want to have any daw record to. Don't go through the business of recording to the system drive and then moving the session to another drive - you could miss files if you're not careful, especially considering you're new to this game. You say it's a 'standard' 1 TB storage drive but don't say exactly what that drive is and what it's specs are. For audio work if you're using a spinner you want 7200 rpm speed in a non-green drive. Is this drive internal to your Mac?
Thanks for the reply. I do understand that Pro Tools is overkill for my current needs, but I'm only a few years from retirement, and as my son and the sons some other band members from my days of playing live are heading of to college, we're talking about getting the band back together. That said, along with my interest to get more involved in music when I'm retired, I would like to learn Pro Tools. My current need seems like an easy way to get familiar with the software.

The 1TB drive in my computer is the original 7200 rpm SATA system drive. If this is insufficient, I can replace it.

Thanks again for any help you provide.

Buy the way, this isn't my first time down this road. A number of years ago I setup a PC based system around Sonar and a Roland V Studio 700. It was a very nice setup, but when it was time to refresh the computer I really wanted to switch back to a Mac. I hung onto the V Studio for a while, but decided I didn't want to deal with the hoops I would have had to jump through to use a Mac with that setup. At that point all of us in the band were feeling like some time off would be good with all the involvement with kids in school and such, so I didn't feel the need to setup a system around the mac.This was probably 7 or 8 years ago, so I've forgotten what I had learned, so I'm a total noob all over again.
480 GB SSD System Drive
1 TB Storage drive
ATI Radeon HD 5770
Old 03-05-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:

Just took a look at your profile, short of the interest in cooking, we seem to have all of the same interests. Unfortunately, the house we are in now is way too small for my O Scale interests, to tell you the truth, the current house is way too small for a Z scale layout, so everything is in boxes. I also have my General licences, call sign KJ6KZH, and enjoy shooting sporting clays as well as long range precision shooting.

So, obviously I don't need another hobby, but still want to learn Pro Tools.
480 GB SSD System Drive
1 TB Storage drive
ATI Radeon HD 5770
Old 03-05-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I do understand that Pro Tools is overkill for my current needs, but I'm only a few years from retirement, and as my son and the sons some other band members from my days of playing live are heading of to college, we're talking about getting the band back together. That said, along with my interest to get more involved in music when I'm retired, I would like to learn Pro Tools. My current need seems like an easy way to get familiar with the software.

The 1TB drive in my computer is the original 7200 rpm SATA system drive. If this is insufficient, I can replace it.

Thanks again for any help you provide.

Buy the way, this isn't my first time down this road. A number of years ago I setup a PC based system around Sonar and a Roland V Studio 700. It was a very nice setup, but when it was time to refresh the computer I really wanted to switch back to a Mac. I hung onto the V Studio for a while, but decided I didn't want to deal with the hoops I would have had to jump through to use a Mac with that setup. At that point all of us in the band were feeling like some time off would be good with all the involvement with kids in school and such, so I didn't feel the need to setup a system around the mac.This was probably 7 or 8 years ago, so I've forgotten what I had learned, so I'm a total noob all over again.
That 7200 rpm drive will do quite nicely. There used to be 10000 rpm drives a while back but they didn't have much capacity and for sheer speed ssd's have taken over that roost.

Been retired since 2007 (just started on Medicare 2 weeks ago so that gives you an idea of my age) . Haven't played with a group since my twenties. One bunch I played with were good enough we could play each others instruments no problem.

I am an ex-Sonarite myself. I started with Sonar 3 Producer and finished that chain with S8P. I left that when they went to the version after that and that would have necessitated getting a new computer and by that time I'd had my fill of Windoze machines. So I went toe Mac-land. I still have one here for the odd time I need to run Sony CD Architect but even that has been taken over by DSP Quattro on the iMac in my profile. The V700 seemed like a neat idea but by then I'd gotten tired of putting up with hardware that never got the support it should have. I have a TC Powercore around here that's nothing more than a paperweight.

Quote:
Just took a look at your profile, short of the interest in cooking, we seem to have all of the same interests. Unfortunately, the house we are in now is way too small for my O Scale interests, to tell you the truth, the current house is way too small for a Z scale layout, so everything is in boxes. I also have my General licences, call sign KJ6KZH, and enjoy shooting sporting clays as well as long range precision shooting.

So, obviously I don't need another hobby, but still want to learn Pro Tools.
Actually Z scale works out quite well in a suitcase, believe it or not. My wife built her layout in the carrying case I have for my Pedaltrain guitar effect pedalboard. She models the Pennsy in both Z and G scale - talk about size changes from each end of the spectrum. I'm in HO and N; N scale is Canadian Pacific and HO is NYC/NYNH&H. I used to have Lionel tinplate until my aunt gave away the set I had - it was one of the original Lady/Girl's Lionel sets from back in the late 50's. Gaudy colors but now it's a collector's item.

I'm a Tech that has gotten bit hard by the Morse code bug Got a fairly sizable collection of straight keys and bugs most of which I've gotten through Morse Express. Custom made Vibroplex bug for lefthanders. I learned on a left hand key even though I'm a righty and when I send righty I use my thumb for dashes and middle finger for dots which is opposite of normal. Works well for me. That's why that bug is a lefty bug.

My favorite band is 6 meters; just saw where a couple of hams did moonbounce on 6. That must have been awesome. Living in the city I can't have an antenna system too large. Had a neighbor that periodically would cut the coax (Andrew heliax) on my 432 feed. Thankfully he's left the area.

My how I've gotten off the music thing but think about it - ain't Morse just like music, especially at 30-40 wpm?

QAPLA!
Old 03-05-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
That 7200 rpm drive will do quite nicely. There used to be 10000 rpm drives a while back but they didn't have much capacity and for sheer speed ssd's have taken over that roost.

Been retired since 2007 (just started on Medicare 2 weeks ago so that gives you an idea of my age) . Haven't played with a group since my twenties. One bunch I played with were good enough we could play each others instruments no problem.

I am an ex-Sonarite myself. I started with Sonar 3 Producer and finished that chain with S8P. I left that when they went to the version after that and that would have necessitated getting a new computer and by that time I'd had my fill of Windoze machines. So I went toe Mac-land. I still have one here for the odd time I need to run Sony CD Architect but even that has been taken over by DSP Quattro on the iMac in my profile. The V700 seemed like a neat idea but by then I'd gotten tired of putting up with hardware that never got the support it should have. I have a TC Powercore around here that's nothing more than a paperweight.

Actually Z scale works out quite well in a suitcase, believe it or not. My wife built her layout in the carrying case I have for my Pedaltrain guitar effect pedalboard. She models the Pennsy in both Z and G scale - talk about size changes from each end of the spectrum. I'm in HO and N; N scale is Canadian Pacific and HO is NYC/NYNH&H. I used to have Lionel tinplate until my aunt gave away the set I had - it was one of the original Lady/Girl's Lionel sets from back in the late 50's. Gaudy colors but now it's a collector's item.

I'm a Tech that has gotten bit hard by the Morse code bug Got a fairly sizable collection of straight keys and bugs most of which I've gotten through Morse Express. Custom made Vibroplex bug for lefthanders. I learned on a left hand key even though I'm a righty and when I send righty I use my thumb for dashes and middle finger for dots which is opposite of normal. Works well for me. That's why that bug is a lefty bug.

My favorite band is 6 meters; just saw where a couple of hams did moonbounce on 6. That must have been awesome. Living in the city I can't have an antenna system too large. Had a neighbor that periodically would cut the coax (Andrew heliax) on my 432 feed. Thankfully he's left the area.

My how I've gotten off the music thing but think about it - ain't Morse just like music, especially at 30-40 wpm?
I have HO, O, and G scale, sadly all in boxes. My HO stuff is all Canadian pacific, and I have a collection of CP stuff handed down to me buy my late uncle who ran the Revelstoke yard, which is where my family is from. My great grandfather was one of the engineers that took the Queen across Canada with those oh so sexy Royal Hudson engines. I have two acres in the redwoods, and my O scale stuff was all standard gauge logging, so I've been kicking around the idea of converting my 1:20.3 scale engines to standard gauge and doing a layout in the yard. Trouble is, I'm huge into adventure touring via motorcycle, so if I have spare time, I'm either on the bike or sitting at the pedal steel.

In order to feel like we haven't let the thread go completely off topic, what do you think about using the 003 control surface/interface these days?
480 GB SSD System Drive
1 TB Storage drive
ATI Radeon HD 5770
Old 03-05-2017, 06:50 PM

Deleted, duplicate post.
480 GB SSD System Drive
1 TB Storage drive
ATI Radeon HD 5770

Last edited by GCecchetto; 03-22-2017 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
I'm looking for threads that explain best practices for the setup of Pro Tools...
Crash-course for Breakfast!
Tried to keep it to just the important bits .... hope some Maestros chime in if I've given dud advice (I'm on Pro Tools 11HD on Windows - happy to Bounce to Disk for now ....)

Pro Tools 12 System Requirements http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...m-Requirements

Computer Optimization Guides – Mac and Windows http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/T...oting/en367983

Compatibility & Upgrade Information for Pro Tools on Mac http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/c...ility/en436391

Drivers for Avid Audio Hardware http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/download/en379411

Setting up the Mix Window - please see 3 attached pics

Use Playlists for multiple takes - combine the “best bits” into one Track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vl9uL8qSY8
“Mix Tips: Vocal Comping with Pro Tools Playlists” – use this method for guitar, too.

Playback:
Choose Onboard Sound before opening Pro Tools.
Change Default back to your Hardware (e.g. Avid Mbox) to play CDs etc.
Change Default back to Onboard Sound before returning to Pro Tools.

Hold down "N" while you launch PT to open the Playback Engine.
When your session's open, go to Setup>Playback Engine, where you can change the H/W Buffer Size: set it as low as possible before Recording (e.g. 64 Samples) and change it to as high as possible for Playback, Editing and Mixing (e.g. 1024 Samples).

Recording Levels in Pro Tools
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrQmDHkTZSo

Pre fader and post fader sends
https://youtu.be/2ZXLAX6pnIA

Pre fader and post fader inserts
http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=1633249&postcount=2
“All insert slots on all types of tracks are pre-fader, except the insert slots on Master faders. They are post-fader.”

Aux Sends in Pro Tools - Subgroups and FX Sends
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CwyO_9Az_Q

Understanding Pro Tools Aux Tracks
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...ux-tracks.html

Pro Tools: Session Organization
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2H91PSb8XE

Pro Tools Shortcuts & Key Commands Best Of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plHv...5F4D34C05F141C

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...cuts_95641.pdf

How to Find the Tempo of Audio Files in Pro Tools
– Tab to Transients
https://youtu.be/3vS6oZHC94I

How to use Beat Detective in Pro Tools - Command + 8 (Mac)
https://youtu.be/QE4zlj2_RrU

Cleaning and Editing Tracks in Pro Tools
- Smart Tool and Keyboard Shortcuts
https://youtu.be/wxD5NhSJVw8
Smart Tool, Command Keyboard Focus, Vertical Zoom, Add Fades, Zoom Out, Cross Fades
Keyboard Shortcuts with Command Keyboard Focus: Zoom In (T), Zoom Out (R), Zoom Out Quickly (Mac: Option + A/Windows: Alt + A), Trim left/Trim Start of Region (A), Trim right/Trim End of Region (S), Fade right/Fade In (G), Fade left/Fade Out (D), Cross Fade (F), Create Group (Mac: Command + G/Windows: Control + G), Edit Tracks simultaneously using Groups, Dealing with Pops!, Moving Cross-Fades to the “sweet spot” with the Trim Tool

Strip Silence Tutorial
https://youtu.be/_BoFJ4IQZJo

Pro Tools Tick Based vs Sample Based tracks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLOD...ature=youtu.be

Memory Locations and Windows Configurations
https://youtu.be/nmrNsHoPBGg

Linking your Windows Locations with your Memory Locations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_a8zWQRoxk

“Save the session with the Configuration you want as a Template.”
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=273173
“I noticed several years ago that if i chose to access my preset window configurations through the Import Session Data window, then Insert plug-ins did not show up at all. Audio Suite plug-ins did, as did windows such as Memory Locations or Automation. But no insert plug-ins at all.
But right after I experimented and figured out that if I create a template (.ptxt) with my trusty window configurations, then choose "new from template" (of course choosing this master template) to create a new session, then everything shows up perfectly in place, exactly as expected.”
http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2339619&postcount=6

Trashing the Pro Tools preferences
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...s-preferences/

Peter Gates Pro Tools Preferences - Mac

http://www.petegates.com/pg-pt-prefs.html

Google the DUC
ENTER_SEARCH_TEXT_HERE site:duc.avid.com

And for lunch:
Side Chain Compression
https://youtu.be/u1Jfkrta-Tg
To Ben Lindell (pureMix) and other contributors – big thanks for making Pro Tools so much easier (and fun!)
http://www.benlindell.com/videos/

Good luck - Pro Tools is the best for Recording, Mixing and Editing ....
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!

Last edited by unkJE; 07-04-2021 at 11:54 PM.