Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2017, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Gibson kills off Cakewalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Unless Sonar has an option to export as OMF(is that the correct term?) the easiest solution will be to consolidate each track and export the audio files. Re midi files, if you are using VI's that might not be available on a PT rig, best to print them to audio as well Having said that, your present Sonar rig might run for several years, just as it is
SONAR can export OMF.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2017, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Gibson kills off Cakewalk

Found a good article about exporting SONAR files to OMF format.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Kno...r-Applications

Exporting SONAR Projects as OMF Files for Use in Other Applications

Last updated on 3/28/2016

An Ounce of Preparation...

If you plan to export a SONAR project to another program that can read OMF files, it pays to consider three things before you start your SONAR project:

· Sample rate and audio bit depth of the target system

· Number of tracks the target system can handle

· SONAR and most other audio programs do not include Video in OMF file

While sample rates and bit depths can be converted after you export a project, it saves a lot of time to avoid conversions, if at all possible.

To Prepare a SONAR Project to Export as an OMF File

1. Make a copy of the project you want to export, and then only work on the copy to prepare for export.
2. If you have any MIDI tracks you want to export in the project, either record them as audio tracks, or put them into a Standard MIDI File that the other program can read.
3. Delete any tracks you don't want to export.
4. If you want to export volume or pan automation that is represented in SONAR as volume and pan envelopes, you will need to Edit-Bounce to Tracks or Edit-Bounce to Clips to mix the envelopes into new audio tracks or clips.
5. If you want to export the sound of any plug-in effects that you have patched, select the tracks that have the effects patched, and then use the Process-Apply Audio Effects command.
6. Create a text file to send along with the OMF file, detailing the tempo and any other important information about the project.

Exporting SONAR Projects as OMF Files

After you prepare a copy of your project to export, exporting is straightforward. Check with the engineer at the target studio to see if there are any special instructions for exporting, such as whether they want the file in Windows (RIFF Wave) or Mac (AIFC) format, which you can choose in SONAR's Export OMF dialog. If you've booked time at the studio, arrange to have your project played and inspected at the studio the day before your session, to be sure your project is as expected.

To Export a SONAR Project as an OMF File

1. Use the File | Export | OMF command.
2. The Export OMF dialog appears.
3. Enter a File Name (maximum 64 characters-SONAR limits name length for ISO CDR compatibility), and in the Save As Type field, choose OMF Version 1 or 2. Most applications expect Version 2, but check with your engineer.
4. Audio Packaging: usually you should choose Embed Audio Within OMF, which includes the audio data in the OMF file. But you should check with your engineer.
5. Split Stereo Tracks Into Dual Mono: see what your engineer wants. If exporting a 24-bit project to a Pro Tools system, enable "Split Stereo Tracks Into Dual Mono," as some Pro Tools systems do not support 24-bit interleaved stereo files.
6. Include Archived Tracks: you can choose to include archived tracks in your exported file.
7. Mix Each Groove Clip As A Separate Clip: if you have several Groove Clips in a track SONAR exports them as one clip unless you check this option. If you check this option, SONAR has to do a separate export operation for each Groove Clip in the track, which is very time-consuming. If you only have one Groove Clip in a track, and you have rolled out numerous repetitions of the clip, SONAR exports a single clip that is the length of the original clip and all the repetitions, which is not a time-consuming operation.
8. Audio Format: ask your engineer what format the studio uses, Windows (RIFF Wave) or Mac (AIFC).
9. Click the Save button.
10. SONAR exports the project as an OMF file.

You can also open OMF files to SONAR from Pro Tools and other programs that can export OMF (File-Open command). Read the tip on importing OMF files into SONAR.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:14 AM

Default Goodbye Cakewalk!

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Cakewalk-A...-m3687511.aspx

I used Cakewalk ProAudio years ago. Kind of sad to see this happen.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 11-27-2017, 05:10 AM

Default Re: Goodbye Cakewalk!

M&A never benefit the consumer. Big business wins again.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:42 AM

This is really sad to me. I used Sonar from Cakewalk ProAudio 9 through Sonar 1-8.5 and I am sad to see this happen. The developers were really on top of innovation and creative ideas. I left to Pro Tools out of the need for stability, dsp, and compatibility between local studios. I do love Pro Tools, but it is always sad to see a company go out of business that had so much passion to innovate. They were ahead of their time in many, many, aspects.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 11-27-2017, 07:46 AM

It's very sad...
Old 11-27-2017, 09:35 AM

Looks like Gibson did to Cakewalk what they did to Opcode. IMHO Studio Vision was probably the best DAW there ever was and I can only imagine what it would have become.

Since I was/am a registered user I would occasionally get email from them. When they were offering a lifetime license with free updates I figured something was wrong.

Instagram:
Old 11-27-2017, 11:07 AM

It's a shame that my first post on this forum comes as a direct result of the events at Cakewalk but I need to make contingency plans for the future, so here I am.

I feel for the Cakewalk employees and the many faithful users, especially after 30 years of software development, but having read Russ Hughes insightful 'Critical Lesson' article on 'Pro Tools Expert', I guess we all know that nothing lasts forever.

Onward and upward.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:46 PM

Default Goodbye Cakewalk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
When they were offering a lifetime license with free updates I figured something was wrong.
Yeah that sucks for the guys who upgraded.....

Gibson should have at least tried to pawn its IP over to someone- heck I bet Propeller or Reaper would have taken it...
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:00 PM

IIRC some of the zip code folks ended up at Cakewalk. Ironic.

Instagram: