How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2017, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Is it me or does Pro tools elastic audio/warping algorithm suck

So, I did something different,.

I found the first downbeat of the song. sliced it, and cut away the clip before the downbeat.

then I went through the song, and beat detective the track. now it is all on grid except one thing. Pro tools is saying it is 24.0460 bpd!?

Not sure what to do now.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Don't use Elastic for this sort of thing, I can't imagine it working well on a full mix without a great deal of work...stick to Ableton (or Melodyne even, though I've not tried it there myself.) Elastic works pretty well for subtle changes to timing (as I've just done on some bounced BVs, hoorah) but even then it can take a good deal of work to not make it sound like utter pants.
Man, I would but I decided I wouldn't use pirated software anymore and I don't want I dish out the money to buy so I rather utilize pro tools to the best of my abilities.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookerv12 View Post
Pro tools has some pretty darned impressive features that other companies can't seem to match.
EA is not one of these.
Ie's like going back to 1992.
Yea they are years behind on this. I'm surprised they haven't fixed this earlier
Old 04-13-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent W. View Post
You can choose different elastic audio modes in system preferences under Processing - the Digidesign/Avid T/CE is the best algorithm to use.

Also you might only be warping a part of the tune and not the whole selection with your warping points. Just a thought - i'm not sure of your experience with elastic audio but here's a tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_VufsUuiRc
Puremix is great! I'm subbed to them. Seen the vid. Thanks though
Old 04-13-2017, 09:28 AM

Don't get me started. Compare Pro Tools Elastic Audio Polyphonic to Logic's Flex Polyphonic (Complex). There is absolutely no comparison.

Pro Tools Elastic Audio Polyphonic performs like Logic's Flex Polyphonic WITHOUT the latter's Complex mode enabled. Complex mode in Logic is even better than Melodyne.

So, my current workflow is to export the audio from Pro Tools into Logic, Flex it there, and then import back into Pro Tools. This sucks because it is a huge workflow killer, but since Flex is so much better, what choice do I have?

I guess I could go back to Logic, but would rather not at this time. Avid seems not to care about upgrading Elastic Audio, which has had the same tired old algorithms for what, 10 years maybe?
Old 04-13-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
What are the impressive features you feel other companies can't seem to match? Because in my experience that hasn't been true.
I think I can try to answer that.

1. The absolutely uncluttered real estate. PT is really well set up. I like Studio One for what it can do, but it's too cluttered for my liking. Maybe that's necessary for the many things it does so well, but it sort of throws me off.

2. AUDIO! Maybe because PT was originally designed to replace tape machines, a lot of the developmental energy went into that. IMHO, no DAW nears that ease of use (both recording and editing)) that PT has.

3. Tracking. The easiest and best I've seen and used. I think this is somehow related to #2.

4. Mixing. Probably also related to #2. Digidesign did their best to mimic a tape machine and console, in a way that was very intuitive and easy to use. The routing is even easier than using a real patchbay with a console.

5. Most of the other Daw's like Cubase, which came from Pro 24, and Notator, which eventually became Logic, were purely MIDI sequencers to start with, and that is probably why they are still better for MIDI work. PT added MIDI almost as an afterthought because all its rivals had it. The other Daws added audio later, maybe because they were PT wannabe's. Even though most of them do it quite well, they don't seem to have that natural ease of use that PT has due to its years of experience. IMO, Avid (already having the edge in audio) should have put more work into developing MIDI. I can say for sure that earlier PT versions worked as expected even though MIDI was clunky, and had fewer serious bugs.

All that said, bro, PT still lags behind woefully in the MIDI and VI world. Also, I don't understand why a world leader in this technology can't seem to be able to cope with very, very basic stuff.

I've never used HDX, so I don't know if it has all these lapses that the basic software (vanilla) has. Maybe the company doesn't care much about small time users, and wants to continue catering for their high-end userbase. Maybe they want to make a clear demarcation in quality between the two. Maybe they have new coders who are baffled by the ancient code they've been asked to develop, yet perpetuate. I don't pretend to understand what it is, but I can tell you that sometimes I'm even more frustrated than you are when it comes to the dysfunctional product that's handed to us these days.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:31 PM

Pro Tools has been used to host third party software since before any VIs or elastic audio came with it so that stuff was never a reason for buying Pro Tools like it was with the sequencers.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidlife View Post
For example I imported a Lionel Richie song. I notice it doest' line up to the beat soI put on polyphonic mode to quantize the sample. Well, it doesn't even quantize it correctly. the down kicks are off the further down the song I go, there are artifacts and it speeds and slows down the song.
Did you establish the original tempo of the song in sample mode before using elastic audio?
Audio should be lined up with the grid first in sample mode lined up with the first measure.
Once you establish the original tempo (via beat detective or other method), you can then switch to tick mode, enable elastic audio and everything stays in line with the grid when changing the tempo.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:00 PM

It's not you. You have to make sure the sensitivity is set right but there are many better. I use midi to trigger drum samples so i don't have to worry about using PT to warp across multiple drum tracks.

For timing changes ,I prefer to add my own markers where it want them and use slip mode to align. I don't leave it to PT. I tend to align MIDI by hand as well. Feels more organic to me.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Pro Tools has been used to host third party software since before any VIs or elastic audio came with it so that stuff was never a reason for buying Pro Tools like it was with the sequencers.
A perfect example of why Pro Tools is failing rather than excelling.