Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2012, 09:10 PM

Default Workflow

Ive only switched over to software based recording with pro tools in the last year or so after having used outboard gear for many years.I also haven't done a lot because Ive been busy with other things but Im interested in finding out about peoples workflow because Im finding this way of creating music a bit tedious. I create electronic/house music.
I used to do all my sequencing on my MPC 2000xl which was great fun and completely different to what Im doing now because before the sequencing and recording process were separate. I would get lost in the creation of loops using the sequencer to string them all together etc and then once I finished I would record onto a multi tracker. The recording and mixing process was still tedious though.

Anyway now with protools the recording and sequencing are kind of together I guess. You create and record as you go as far as I know. I can't seem to get used to this process because you kind of aren't playing the music, well not in the same way. You play a bit then record it and another bit etc. so I don't feel like there is a flow and also I find it difficult to visualise what it is I am trying to achieve and my tracks end up all messy and then I get sick of it all and delete it.

Is there a better way to do this? My setup consists of midi controller keyboard for software instruments, virus indigo2 synth, mpc2000xl and a roland sound module. Before the MPC would control everything else but now not sure should I be getting protools to control my external instruments?? Whats your process?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Workflow

You can use your MPC to control things. Just use it the way you always did and pretend PT is a tape machine.

That might make the transition easier. If you want, you can also record MIDI from the MPC into PT for later editing if you decide you like doing it that way.

Alternatively, you could use something like Maschine or the MPC Renaissance (when it actually comes out)…both of which are software/controllers that give you a workflow more like you're used to with 16 stereo channels into PT and MIDI output to control other synths (whether soft or hard).

Personally, I use Maschine that way. Maschine plays samples and either outputs MIDI to soft synths hosted in PT or hosts synths itself and outputs audio to separate audio tracks in PT. Working that way makes the most sense to me, and it seems like doing something similar might be for you.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:28 AM

i recommend sticking with sequencing/arranging etc in the MPC!
Old 06-20-2012, 02:37 PM

Id say one of the greatest things about moving into the box (Using Pro Tools) is that you can still use your MIDI sequencers and controllers to not only play and record the midi (that can be edited in pro Tools and altered to your liking) but also as samplers (playing back the sounds from the machine...

As before you would have to have everything perfectly programmed and then you could record the multitrack audio back... its EVEN easier now as you can play (say using your external Midi sequencer/sampler) the MIDI while recording it into pro tools and just loop the midi back out afterwards to trigger the external device to play the same thing you just triggered... the upside is that all you have to do now is adjust the midi in PT and the sampler will playback the adjusted midi.. shorten a note ad a note, change the pitch of a note, change the entire sound in the external sequencer while PT is playing back the midi to trigger it...

It is an endless amount of opportunity and like I said you can still use your external stuff... just need a MIDI I/O or MIDI to USB device to do it...

I use an external MIDI controller (Basically a keyboard) to record midi into pro tools and trigger Virtual Insrtuments (Basically digital versions of synths that you can use inside Pro Tools), I can assign the knobs and faders to any midi perameter I want in my Virtual Instrument... say I want to adjust the "cut off" and record the movements.. you can "arm" the "cut off" for automation in your Virtual Instrument and put the track in "Write" so it writes the automation movement... play the session back and adjust my "cut off" know using my external synth in real time.... then by placing the track in "Read" it will now playback all the cutoff changes I made.... best part... you dont like it.. just redo it or write automation over the existing... Its endless as far as what you can do...
Old 06-20-2012, 02:45 PM

This will help with the basic MIDI Input/output setup:

http://www.showmeprotools.com/using-...ith-pro-tools/

Also this is setting up your external MIDI controllers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wOgvU0oG5M

These arent the best videos but can help get you up and running in an easier fashion....
Old 06-21-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Drake View Post
i recommend sticking with sequencing/arranging etc in the MPC!
This! ^^^

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 06-22-2012, 10:01 PM

Thanks for all your advise everyone.
I need some advise with my midi setup.

Please see the image for my current setup

Midi setup

As you can see I currently use my mpc to sequence keyboard1 and the synth. I also have a controller for plug in instruments within pro tools.
I have a fireface uc interface which has 2 midi ins and 2 outs which Im not using so far.

I want to be able to control protools with the mpc so when I hit record on the mpc, protools also starts so that I can hear the drum loops etc i have on tracks in protools while Im sequencing external gear also just so that I can sync up my external gear instead of having to quantise after etc. I know I have to go mpc midi in to interface out but as you can see i don't have an in available on the mpc. Is there another configuration I can use or perhaps I need a midi patch bay to do this?
Im so confused by all this, Id really appreciate some advise on a different way to set it up so I can do what I need to do. cheers