Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2006, 05:51 PM

Default MBox 2 Input as Microphone

How do I set the MBox 2 Input 1 (or 2) as the system microphone input so that I can use
the MBox as my computer microphone for conversations via MSN messenger, or other voice-chat
applications?

Also. In Pro Tools, how do I set my computer speakers as the Output for a track. At this time
I can only see the MBox's Output channels as the possible output. I would like to hear the tracks I record through my computer's speakers.

Thanks.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:18 PM

Default Re: MBox 2 Input as Microphone

Impossible. Unlike the fabulous E-MU soundcard I had previously to my MBox 2, sound path routing is just non-existant outside Pro Tools. The same way the programmers write kinda buggy code in Pro Tools 7+, Digidesign is lazy to write drivers with proper routing.

Oh and forget the speakers thing too. You can only play it through the mbox outputs. For the same reason mentioned above.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:14 PM

Signal routing is NOT non existant outside of Pro Tools. The Mbox2 functions as a soundcard just like any other soundcard, its just external. Thats why if you goto Sound and Audio Devices Properties in Control Panel, you can select the Mbox2 for playback or Sound Recording. (and thats why it exist in Tiger with its own Icon that works directly with Core Audio if you ever use it on a Mac)

You can record or monitor the Mbox2 through any audio app, such as Sound Forge, Nero Soundtrax, Audacity...etc...you don't have to use Pro Tools.

You can send out via Analog out, Spdif (mirrors the Analog outs if used together) or 1/8" headphone out and into your internal soundcard, depending on what soundcard you have. You could also use a mixer to pull off what your talking about. There are work arounds if you're creative and just try.

And the code in Pro Tools 7 is the most stable code written yet. If you use a stable, supported system you should experience NO problems. Same goes for Windows XP. Its only as stable as the user can configure it.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:41 PM

Quote:
You can record or monitor the Mbox2 through any audio app, such as Sound Forge, Nero Soundtrax, Audacity...etc...you don't have to use Pro Tools.
That is not true in windows. You can record and monitor any programs that use ASIO.

You can only monitor programs that use the wavedriver; it is a playback only driver. You cannot set the mBox to be the default recording device for windows.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 06-09-2006, 09:45 PM

Thank you for the correction.

What about Maudio devices being able to be set as the default recording device? My 1814 has the option and I can select it.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:51 PM

MAudio devices have their own drivers; they don't need to use the Digidesign wavedriver like the 002/002r/mBox/mBox2.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 06-09-2006, 09:52 PM

Well, that seems like a nice advantage M-audio devices have then. I bet Digi would have used their own WaveDrivers for M-Powered and the M-audio devices if they didnt have to port M-Powered over to be used on M-Audio's already made devices.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:05 AM

Well that's good to know. I was curious whether Skype and Googletalk would actually work with PTLE. So far all I've been able to do is hear who I'm talking with but I've never been able to actually have them hear me.

Does anybody have a working system with Skype or Googletalk? As it is, it takes the wavedriver and MME Helper just to hear someone and that's it.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Well that's good to know. I was curious whether Skype and Googletalk would actually work with PTLE. So far all I've been able to do is hear who I'm talking with but I've never been able to actually have them hear me.

Does anybody have a working system with Skype or Googletalk? As it is, it takes the wavedriver and MME Helper just to hear someone and that's it.
I had a working system with skype, but I don't use the inputs on my 002r. What I did was to get a Logitech usb headset. The headset acts as it's own sound card and works perfectly with skype. I believe you can get one for around $40.00
Old 03-05-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie69 View Post
I had a working system with skype, but I don't use the inputs on my 002r. What I did was to get a Logitech usb headset. The headset acts as it's own sound card and works perfectly with skype. I believe you can get one for around $40.00
What was that working system or is it the only option of the headshet ??
Plz tell me there is another way cant really afford atm for a headshet of that cost.Thank you in return .