Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 08:15 PM

Default Chipset problem? I hope not

Ok, I just got my Mbox and have successfully installed the software. All looks well, but i have not been able to get a signal when trying to record. I've done everything the manual has told me to do, but nothing so far. Before I go any further, I'd like to find out whether or not my problem lies in my computer's chipset. It is "Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family". Could this be my problem? If it is, what should I do about it? Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Chipset problem? I hope not

According to the Intel® 9xx Chipsets & Mbox Compatibility page:
Quote:
Details of the errata are given at the link above. The errata was fixed in subsequent steppings (B-2 and C-0) of the ICH6. The 925XE, 915GV, 915PL, 915GL and the 910GL do not utilize the B-1 stepping of the ICH6 and therefore are not impacted by this issue
So it's most likely not a chipset issue (but that is no guarantee).

What exactly have you done/are trying to do?

Maybe the DiskFlix Instructional videos might help?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 05-26-2005, 12:45 AM

Thanks for the response.

I'm just trying to do some basic recording right now. I play the piano and sing and have been piecing together a home studio. I'm a beginner when it comes to engineering/production, so I might just be doing something wrong, but I've read the instructions carefully (I think).

Upon creating a new session, I've plugged my XLR cable into the Mbox and have pushed the phantom power button, so that couldn't be the problem. My volume nobs are ok. When I speak into the mic to try to get a signal, nothing happens on ProTools, though it does show evidence on the Mbox that I can peak it out. This indicates that the Mbox is getting a signal, but it's not transfering to ProTools. I've hit record on ProTools, and it starts recording...well, nothing. Any suggestions?

I have a friend who has an Mbox, but his band just got signed by a label, so he's been too busy to help. I appreciate any advice.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:49 AM

Tell me to be quiet if you have done this but lets start with the basics

Have you
1. Created an Audio track?
2. Pressed record arm (the R in teh channel strip)
3. Assigned the correct input (either Analog 1 or 2) on the channel strip
4. Made sure in Setups you have chosen Analog and not SPDIF input
5. Turned the input gain on the MBOX right up to about 3 'o' clock
5. Noticed that the peak LED lights up on the MBOX unit itself when you talk/sing loudly
6. Made sure that you mic and cable actually work.

Let me know if this helps
neeel
2 Gig RAM
Old 05-26-2005, 09:57 AM

Neeel!!!
You're a genious! It was set to SPDIF. I just switched it to analog in setup and I'm getting a signal now. Thanks a lot. I was getting so frustrated with this thing, but now I think I'm ready to start recording.

Hope all is well with you
Jeremy