How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2011, 04:53 AM

Default Pro tools 10 Crashing!!!

HI Guys

i seem to be having an issue with pro tools. Everytime i go to open the progam and it goes to load the sound device i get the blue screen of death.

I was having the same issue on PT9 and i thought upgrading to PT10 would fix it but i was wrong lol

I am currently using a Allen & Heath Zed10 on a windows 7 64bit machine. Intell i7 with 8gb of ram

I have worked out that if i use the onboard sound driver it opens fine but not when i choose to allen&heath hardware

I have tried the Asio4all driver but it still crashes

What do i do from here?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 10 Crashing!!!

Maybe use an acknowledged compatible or qualified interface with stable drivers?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:15 AM

Blue screen of death could be irq conflicts
Check the irq of whatever port the ZED connects to (firewire?usb?) and see if it isnt conflicting with anything else - cant remember the exact wording, but go to device manager, and sort by connection (i think) here you get a list of all your devices and their irqs - generally you should disable EVERYTHING that you dont use with pro tools (extra usb ports, soundcards, LAN, WIFI etc)

Old 12-16-2011, 05:33 AM

Blue screens definitely bite. I have an XP SP3 machine that still gets an occasional blue screen. I have never lost any data, but it is disconcerting. I have at least seven other XP SP3 machines that no longer get blue screens, but at least one did require motherboard hotfix patches (an HP machine) when it was initially released.

But Windows 7 has been very stable. I have two Win7 Professional 64 bit computers, and neither have ever blue-screened. One has SP1 and one does not. One has PT8HD, and the other I just installed PT10HD just to check it for compatibility.

Fooling around with interrupts is something I abandoned with DOS setups and the old 8088 boards, maybe when adding Com3 or Com4 dial-up modems (Ugh...). The operating system should handle all the interupts for you.

You can check in the "Device Manager" within the "System" settings from the control panel. If you see an unidentified "Multi-Media" card with a yellow explanation point next to it, Windows could not load the correct driver for your sound card. Delete it and reboot. If you cannot get rid of the yellow explanation point, your soundcard driver is not loading properly.