Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2007, 12:04 PM

Default When is Digi to fix problem for Magma PCI->expresscard sys?

I've been waiting for a long time to buy the Magma system that will allow me to use my HD 3 Accel and SCSI interface PCI cards (not the new PCIexpress) with my new macbookpro (http://www.magma.com/products/pci/4PCI/index.html). every few months, i call magma and they say the problem is on the digi end and that i should put pressure on digi to fix the problem.

well, it seems to me that digi doesn't have much motivation to do that, because it's in their best interest to make us buy the uber-expensive crossgrade from PCI to PCIexpress if we want to upgrade our desktop computer. For me that means not only buying an additional new desktop G5, but also buying the crossgrade. I don't have that kinda scratch.

Has anyone else been waiting for this alternative solution? If so, has anyone else made headway getting digi to address it?

Kelly
Old 05-21-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Re: When is Digi to fix problem for Magma PCI->expresscard s

There is still reportedly a problem (5/19/07) with the Magma ExpressCard-to-PCI Expansion and Pro Tools HD. (Only the Core TDM card will work at this point. Magma Corp. was also recently sold)
I was asked by the people at Magma to have other members urge Digidesign to test their HD/TDM software for compatibility with the Magma and the Macbook Pro - as around 1000 users are waiting eagerly to convert their mobile TDM platform to the Intel side. However, since Digidesign has been non-moving on this issue now for months, many of my colleuges in Europe have dumped their HD Accel cards and invested in the Mac Pro/Macbook Pro plus Appogee's new system - as Logic is expanding fast here. Especially Scandinavia. I am still holding up the fort with the hopes going to Digidesign R&D................

Eirik The Norwegian.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:57 AM

Default Re: When is Digi to fix problem for Magma PCI->expresscard sys?

I don't now if this apply to your situation (maybe not), but I had so many problems with my Magma (4 slot). I wrote to Magma and Digidesign so many times, but they just passed the monkey on to eachother. Now I got rid of the magma and bought a G5 instead, so I could have my HD3 cards directly in the G5. It solved all of my problems. No more Magma in my studio.

Cheers from Copenhagen
Old 05-22-2007, 02:58 AM

Default Re: When is Digi to fix problem for Magma PCI->expresscard sys?

I don't know if this apply to your situation (maybe not), but I had so many problems with my Magma (4 slot). I wrote to Magma and Digidesign so many times, but they just passed the monkey on to eachother. Now I got rid of the magma and bought a G5 instead, so I could have my HD3 cards directly in the G5. It solved all of my problems. No more Magma in my studio.

Cheers from Copenhagen
Old 08-13-2007, 04:28 PM

Thanks for all your responses, guys - but why won't digi ansewr? i'm so tempted to jettison all my digi gear altogether and go the apple-digi route. -k
Old 08-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Avid

I'm sorry, but we cannot talk about future development or support for specific products until it's made official, at which point we will post information on our website and here on the DUC.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:11 AM

Are you guys talking about the PCIX to PCIE host expansion? Please say it ain't so. We just ordered 2.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Avid

The Magma chassis that we support for 7.3.x is the PER64, a PCIe (host) to PCIx model.

More info here:

http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?navi...5&itemid=24876

There is currently no supported solution for a PCIe slotted chassis (meaning PCIe slots in the chassis) or Expresscard to chassis.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:42 AM

Thanks for your reply, but this is not support for a future product, but a bug/problem with an already released magma product. Are you saying that there is currently no support (and no ability to comment on fixing problems with) the expansion chassis that would allow me to use my macbook pro (intel) with my old PCI HD3 Accel cards? Why do you guys make it so hard (and expensive) to use your hardware? The old PCI cards work just fine. The crossgrade to PCI express is extremely expensive, especially when you add in the costs of upgrading the studio computer. I already bought the new macbook pro!

grrrr