Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Euphonix MC...

Anyone have any experience with the MC? Thoughts?
Old 01-12-2007, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Euphonix MC...

My supervisor will have one at the end of the month for his Nuendo system, and I'm looking forward to hooking my PT rig up to it to see what it's like. I demoed it, more for Nuendo, a couple months ago and it is very cool. Still only works on HUI but over ethernet which makes it more stable/accurate. I just really dig the layout of the MC as an editor, nothing else comes close to the ergonomics of it.

Was wondering when someone was gonna ask about this.

JR
Old 01-12-2007, 04:55 PM

that thing sure seems expensive- Isn't it about $20 grand? you could buy a lot for that kind of dough....

cm

Member IATSE Local 700, MPSE, ATAS, NRA & USMCHC.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:33 PM

Depends whether or not you need the customization and expansions it can offer. I see the MC5 more as a mixing desk and classic edit station that allows you to build your own setup.

After demoing this on Nuendo, I figure it's worth it even for Protools for the stuff you can hammer on to all those custom keys, the very good jog wheel/trackball(swapable on the fly) and the expandability with fader packs.

I'd certainly love to see native support in Protools for this, which Nuendo and others already have. Digidesign does not make an editing desk that has this kind of power, for Protools.

I miss the great editing surfaces of Augan and Fairlight. This looks to be a good direction, the centerpiece of an editing/premixing stage that is fully customizable. Avid is customizable, and bringing your own settings in is just what I'd like as an editor and mixer, and this looks to be the ticket right now.

But I don't want to dump Protools for it.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:28 AM

We've got two MC's and we switch between ProTools and Nuendo with them. It's a very powerful controller, I'm very happy with the purchase and there's nothing in the price range that will touch it. The fact that the system is modular allows us to upgrade rooms as the need comes, adding fader packs as the rooms take on more business. Switching between multiple programs is great and the support is fantastic, the guys at Euphonix usually answer emails the same day. The only downside is control of PT's is via HUI emulation but as someone said previously, it's more stable than midi. John.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:15 PM

I guess it can make sense for some- I actually went from a ProControl setup to a HUI because I started to move around lot more and got tired of It being a two trip scenario- It also allowed for a less restrictive enviornment with less obstructions. As a console system the MC setup is cool, but I think the edit pod module is overkill for me.

As far as customizing and stuff- I have personally found it easier to just learn the keycommands I needed instead of customizing- that way I can go on any rental system and not have to think about it- I guess it becomes muscle memory at that point. For folks who need wow factor I guess it makes sense.

If I were to drop that much coin on something it would be on a pair of SD744t's and a bunch of mics and zeppelins for field recording- I would make that money back pretty quickly...

Member IATSE Local 700, MPSE, ATAS, NRA & USMCHC.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:51 PM

i've used the mc a few times and its amazing. the comment about the quick keys is true but is so limited compared to what the mc is capable of... you might as well say why use an icon when you can use the quick keys cause the icon is just a fancy mouse.
i do wish it had both panners and faders not either or.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:18 AM

I wanted Digi to build something like MC device years ago; edit pack was not what we were looking for. We all know HUI protocol limitation (which is, as I know, the only open format for PT controllers), so only Digi can build the device which really deep integration with PT, so user can customise the environment.
There is one more thing: this "repalcer" for keyboard and mouse should not cost so much as MC does...
Best
Kuba
Old 01-15-2007, 12:30 PM

I'm a producer and composer. My system has 3 computers: PT Mac, LogicPro Mac, and Giga PC. My gear guys are pushing for an MC purchase and it looks great.... just the $ factor. Looking for opinions I guess. thanks
Old 01-17-2007, 10:59 PM

I already stated what I think of the controller, can't say any more. As Charles implied, put your money where you can make it back. We mainly edit and mix so it works for us and earns us coin. They should be at NAMM this weekend, if you're in the area you might check them out. john.