Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2005, 06:45 PM

Default so... i guess i have a bad power harnass

well, i've never taken it for granted, that i keep hearing all these problems about the power harness in trhe 002r but i did, after a year now, begin to think that i slipped through the cracks.

here i am i turn on the 002r and i hear a clicling sound coming from it and other that that it does nothing. the little firewire indicator light flashes with each click. any suggestions? what do i do next? is there a temporary fix so i can get through an un-cancelable session tomorrow? thanks for any help. -jeff
Old 01-27-2005, 07:13 PM

Default Re: so... i guess i have a bad power harnass

Ive had the same thing happen to me 2 times now... its annoying as hell. Luckily, digidesign was really cool about it and they overnighted the part to me. If you havent called digidesign yet, i guess the overnighting the part isnt really gonna work for a session tomorrow.

Im not positive about any temporary fixes, though I heard that opening up the digi 002, disconnecting, and reconnecting the powerharness sometimes works temporarily. The problem is i believe the rust that builds up on these power harness connectors, therefore causing a faulty connection. Id say if you try and go with the temporary disconnecting and reconnecting the powerharness route, try and just scrape any rust off that you can see inside of the power harness cables. Im not absolutely positive that Im correct on all this, but this is everything I could remember. If you want to find out some more, try searching the forums and you'll most likely come up with a bunch of stuff.

I hope everything works out for you... I know the feeling of a digi 002 that cant work. Good luck
Old 01-27-2005, 07:53 PM

thanks andrew. i did a search, took it a part, and saw on the harness that the individual pins were coming out of the plastic muti-pin connector. i pushed them back in, taped it in place and i think that it might get me through the session. how was it replacing the harness, looks pretty straight forward. it surprises me that they are replacing them with the same kind that can just come apart again. thanks again -jeff
Old 01-27-2005, 07:55 PM

replacing the harness is incredibly easy... it comes with directions with pictures and everything.

I was surprised that my digi broke for a 2nd time too... apparently, they have now switched to new power cables that are specially coated to prevent rusting. Hopefully this one will be a longer lasting replacement, haha. Im glad I could be of help.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:28 PM

no chance of a warning about this on the front page of the site

oh no, us customers who have bought Digi products get punished by having to look thru reams of posts online.

Its as if they are in a state of denial and merrily selling away - I feel abused and insulted as a customer.

Why arent these diagrams etc up online???

Its likely that a lot of users are going to have sessions that they cant cancel and need to know how to solve it in the short term
Old 02-25-2005, 07:03 PM

Had my 002R for only 2 weeks when the same clicking occured non-stop with no more "contact" with the 002R and my new AL Powerbook 1.5G. Called Digi in LA from here in Canada, ordered a new power harness that arrived here the next morning! Installed the harness in 10 minutes and I've been tracking/mixing flawlessly every since (fingers crossed at this early stage). Any new users I suggest as so many others have of the past couple years - replace harness & power supply if need be. I'm pretty sure the main harness was not seated properly as I removed and replaced it. Also treated the points with the 2 solutions provided with Digi replacement. Good luck!
www.icedrum.com