Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: what we all want to know from digidesign

addendum: from the read file of the latest m-audio firewire driver installer

Quote:

FireWire Audio Software

This installer package contains Mac OS X drivers and control panels for the M-Audio FireWire audio interfaces. See below for notes and last minute information on this release. Please see your user manual for more detailed information. The latest software updates and information are available at the M-Audio website, http://www.m-audio.com/.

System Requirements

? Mac OS X 10.2.8 or later
? Mac OS X 10.3.7 or later
? See box and manual for hardware requirements

Important Notes

? FireWire 410, FireWire Audiophile, and FireWire 1814. Currently, you cannot plug more than one of these FireWire devices at the same time on the same bus. However, you can add another FireWire bus in the form of a FireWire PCI or PCMCIA host adapter card, and add an additional device to that bus.

not bad.

M
Old 04-08-2005, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Hey David,
What do you mean by "multi-I/O"???? More than one M-powered interface can be used in a computer?
I was talking about the mult-channel-I/O of the m-audio 1814.
MultiCardSupport is, as stated by digidesign, possible only in windows, because the m-audio driver handles multiple cards as if they would be just one.
I tested the DIGI002 and didn´t take it, cause the performance is poor in compare with other hardware/software combinations.
and as I used M-audio gear a lot of years, I expect it to be much more efficient with cpu-resources.
Also, if you want to use your hardware with logic or cubase, you will get much better results, in terms of tracks and plugins.
(I am not talkinng about the mic preamps...)

My favorite config: PT with RME HDSP compatibility. No CPU power lost for hardware, and open configuration possibilities with all the external gear you wish, in endless tracknumbers (3 HDSP 9652 linked together=78 input tracks, not talking about their MADI stuff).
Old 04-09-2005, 02:54 AM

Quote:

My favorite config: PT with RME HDSP compatibility. No CPU power lost for hardware, and open configuration possibilities with all the external gear you wish, in endless tracknumbers (3 HDSP 9652 linked together=78 input tracks, not talking about their MADI stuff).
that would be a great thing for live recording with 3*8 channel adat in pro tools
Old 04-14-2005, 06:56 PM

Before you guys get carried away, I've got a 410 and 1814 connected up to the same PC and although the M-Audio application sees both interfaces, and they're both accessible in Logic 5.5, PT M-Powered isn't having it at all I'm afraid. I'm only running the demo, but when you load the software, if there are two interfaces switched on it says it can't see an interface at all. Turn one of them off and it's fine. Guess the Digi guys spotted that one a mile off.... M-Powered is not going to be allowed to eclipse LE...
Old 04-16-2005, 02:31 PM
Avid

Hi all,

I’m not too surprised that M-Powered doesn’t see multiple I/Os in this configuration. M-Powered is based off Pro Tools LE software, which is obviously designed to talk to (and maintain sync with) a single piece of interface hardware at a time. In addition, since the 002 products provide for only 18 channels of simultaneous I/O, the audio engine within the software is scaled and tested to provide for this amount of audio traffic. The “driver aggregation” that happens with multiple instances of the same hardware can present more than this amount of I/O to the app at once, but even if it manages to recognize the I/O count, it’s unlikely to work reliably. None of the devices supported by the current version of Pro Tools|M-Powered provide more than 18 channels of I/O at once and we have no plans to support this type of aggregated I/O, or scale with current or future M-Audio peripherals which go beyond the 18 channels we designed into the 002 and 002Rack. However, the supported devices (FireWire 410 and 1814, Ozonic, and the AudioPhile 192 and 2496) do work reliably up to their I/O maximums. In some cases, aggregating these devices may provide working I/O up to the maximum of 18, but this mode of operation is not supported.

I can see there is a healthy appetite for experimentation out there (!), so I wanted to make sure these facts were out there before anyone spent undue time or money attempting to make it work.

- David

David Gibbons
Director, Product Marketing
Digidesign
Old 04-17-2005, 08:10 AM

Quote:
what we all want to know from digidesign
after releasing the m-powered version, which is great:

whats your plans according to LE-users, who already payed for the software and want to take advantage
of the m-audio multi-I/O possibilities:

a LE software update making m-audio connectable?
a special crossgrade price for PT m-powered?
nothing?

david

I want to know too!