Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2009, 09:44 AM

Default Thanks Digi (for cs3)...

It's been 2.5 weeks with no further "force quit" (or even "run-o-the-mill") crashes on the system since the upgrade to cs3...

The only new issue we're seeing is crashing when playing back CD's in the workspace... not a deal-breaker, just a minor annoyance...

Thanks DTS.
I figure if I'm gonna' bust your balls, I better give you props when you correct problems.

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 06-23-2009, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Thanks Digi (for cs3)...

It's better (cs3) but Workspace is still broken, and I'm noticing now that playback engine dialogs (like you have more active voices then your current playback engine allows...) get STUCK forcing a force-quit. Twice yesterday.

A restart of PT and then the Mac did not fix it.

Dumping pref's / database files did.

I'm not sure if the updates are getting more solid or if I'm getting better at resetting/restarting PT from 'fresh-pref' boot. The first thing to go is the DSP Caching. I must have session-file backups on, so if I gotta change that, we gotta problem.

Sucks that I have to reset the controller in front of the client - let alone trying to catch up with the 12-20 check boxes we usually need to tweak (like with the record allocation set to 'All' - we like it around 30 minutes, tops). Or the color management (markers, saturation in mix window, etc).

OR (and this one really gets me) - the check boxes for the I/O Delays (when all rooms are using Digi 192's / 96 i/o's and not funky converter setups) - why is that even an option to forget to check? I have to remember to run over to I/O setups (after telling the 192's to 'soft limit' on the inputs and after Playback Engine to move from 256/8 to 512/7!) or I'll forget to make sure that the all-important I/O ADC box is checked!

Is anyone else having problems with Workspace that totally tanks PT with a must reboot of the Mac? On PPC and Intel? It's not just one or the other...

(and with only the PT8 standard plug setup - dithered or just stereo mixer and nothing else I can still get it to crash!)

How about all 4 of the last MacPro models, and a Dual 2 Ghz G5 - all HD-3's - exhibiting this issue? And it's a 'dump prefs and it'll be good for a day or two' situation! I've read about Database folders, and it does seem to help, but if you're running PT for more than a couple of hours I can't quit PT, dump Database folders, restart PT just to audition!

so.... when's cs4 to be expected? Right around September?
Old 06-23-2009, 10:32 AM

OK so I just realized I was ranting at full force for a second there.

Sorry.

I do like working in Pro Tools. Sometimes the petty stuff can get to me. I'm working on it.

- SR
Old 06-23-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Is anyone else having problems with Workspace that totally tanks PT with a must reboot of the Mac? On PPC and Intel? It's not just one or the other...
On a PPC dual 2.7 here, it only crashes PT, but didn't require a re-boot... It would be a much bigger deal (for us) if it DID require a reboot. With 2 different 3rd party converters, rebooting after a system crash is a PITA.

Quote:
OK so I just realized I was ranting at full force for a second there.
Sorry.
Dude, NO need to apologize. That's exactly how I felt for 3 weeks of May. Honestly, that's why I felt compelled to post this thread in the first place. Digi & the DTS guys are trying to fix a TON of issues with PT8, and a lot of people are REALLY pissed off about it (me having been one of them!), and rightfully so. We didn't spend thousands of dollars to have our systems stab us in the back every time we press record.

... But in my case, the cs3 release has once again provided a stable work environment, which deserves my thanks. I hope everyone will get there soon, but it seems unlikely as I read these threads...

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 06-23-2009, 06:27 PM

The CS3 is working for me as well. Very rarely I am having any trouble now. I spend hours working with VIs and everything looks smooth.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:17 PM

Congratulations, and thank you, for the first releasable version of Pro Tools 8... cs3.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intini View Post
The CS3 is working for me as well. Very rarely I am having any trouble now. I spend hours working with VIs and everything looks smooth.
Are you using the workspace browser to audition samples/loops?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyBass View Post
Are you using the workspace browser to audition samples/loops?
Hi. No, I am only working with Vis and recorded material. No samples whatsoever. To be honest I only very rarely use the workspace browser.
But on the VIs side in one of my sessions I had 15 TDM synthesizers, BFD2, Transfuser, Velvet, Structure with several patches and some audio tracks with with plug-ins in both RTAS and TDM format and all was good. Amazingly the only problem I had was when I quit Pro Tools and then open it again - it was crashing the whole Mac - but not always. Other than that, during operation, it is 100% fine to me even after hours of work.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:25 PM

No problems here either on a Mac Pro 2.8 8 core with a Magma PE6R4. I, however, rarely use the workspace browser so I can't report on it's behavior.