Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2011, 10:00 PM

Default Eleven Rack with Power Amp Volume

Has anyone used their ER with a power amp, or with the effects return of their amp and noticed a reduction in power from the amps normal output? What should the ER outputs be set at to be delivering the highest signal to the power amp so it may put out the proper amount of power? I have tried the ER with 3 different 100 watt tube heads and one PA power amp, and in all instances it felt as if the power amps were not putting out the volumes they normally put out, but when returned to normal operation they were just fine. I'm guessing my internal outputs are set too low on the ER but I dunno which ones to turn up.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack with Power Amp Volume

Use the Output to Amp volume to push your amp to taste.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:04 AM

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, the Output to Amps are at guitar level, appropriate for an amp input. If you're plugging into an FX return or directly into a poweramp, the Main outs or using the FX Loop Send will give you a line level output and drive them more appropriate.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:17 AM

I'm using Output to Amp 2 (on the back) straight to the FX return on my Carvin Legacy, without trouble.
Mostly for studio work, not live though.

Anyway, it should not be trouble with connecting your main outs (line level) straight to a poweramp, or a line level Fx return on your amp.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredo View Post
I'm using Output to Amp 2 (on the back) straight to the FX return on my Carvin Legacy, without trouble.
Mostly for studio work, not live though.
It does work, I've used Output to Amp into the FX return of a Yamaha T100/Marshall half stack and it sounded great, but even with the output level cranked it wasn't anywhere near as loud as the internal preamp, or with the Main out/FX Send. I'd suggest at least trying the Main/FX Send route, especially if you need to get loud.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derker View Post
It does work, I've used Output to Amp into the FX return of a Yamaha T100/Marshall half stack and it sounded great, but even with the output level cranked it wasn't anywhere near as loud as the internal preamp, or with the Main out/FX Send. I'd suggest at least trying the Main/FX Send route, especially if you need to get loud.
OK so I should be running XLR to 1/4" to the amp input then? This will be line level instead of instrument level? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killdozer View Post
OK so I should be running XLR to 1/4" to the amp input then? This will be line level instead of instrument level? Thanks in advance for the help.
That will definitely work. I wish Avid would have equipped Eleven Rack with the 1/4"/XLR combo jacks!
Old 02-19-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derker View Post
That will definitely work. I wish Avid would have equipped Eleven Rack with the 1/4"/XLR combo jacks!
That would have been nice! I am afraid to put that on the "wish" list though. I'm still waiting for a stand alone editor