Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2008, 02:40 AM

Default Re: "could not allocate space for recording!"

Is the drive internal or external.

How is the drive connected (not USB I hope!)?

How fast is the drive (rpm)?

Also what is the drive (make) and what chipset does the drive have??

It sounds like the drive thinks is full or heavily defragmented.

Is the drive new or old?
It could have big clusters of bad sectors meaning it would look defraged.

Little more detail and we may get to the bottom of this prob.

A:)
Old 11-02-2009, 06:03 AM

Wink Re: "could not allocate space for recording!"

I was chasing that "could not allocate space" rabbit in PT 8.0 for a while and eventually realized I was trying to record over my imported drum track rather than the new, empty track I had just created. Not sure why it gave me a "could not allocate space..." message rather than a "Hey, stupid, you don't want to do that," message, but there you have it.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:10 PM

This is the new version of the "ProTools cannot use a RIAD array" dialog. Just installed 8.0.3 LE Full Release under 10.6.2 and tried once again to use my 12TB RAID5 Caldigit eSATA with PT LE. No dice. Drop the session to another drive and it works wonders. Why no RAID support Digi? Seems crazy to me but I assume there has to be a reason. What I think is super weird is that those cheapo little WD drives that are a RAID 0 work like champs with PT but when you get a $5K+ RAID, utilizing true hardware control it breaks. Odd.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:48 PM

Okay so I know that this thread is SUUUPER old, but I was just having this error and found a solution for what was causing it for me.

I like to have a lot of post-roll set up so that if I make a small selection accidentally and hit play it will play instead of playing for a split second and stopping. It appears that if you have a lot of pre or post-roll, it will act as if you're trying to record a long long long time. .... So double check your pre/post-roll.... It may be your solution. Oh.. and I forgot to mention i was in quick-punch mode so that may have something to do with it as well.. as it records after your post roll.

Scott
Old 11-13-2014, 01:46 PM

I had the same issue today -- lots of free disk space -- brand new session and went to record first track and got that error message. Pro Tools LE 8.0.5 (I'd upgrade to PT11 if it supported my older plug-ins).

I had switched the transport to expanded view and I set the meter to 3/8. It appears that nonsensical values were in the Expanded Transport display. All I had to do was to hit the RTZ to put the transport back to the beginning.

Error went away. PT thought I was trying to record at some crazy point. When that went to zero it was all fine and good!
Old 10-20-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmckay View Post
Okay so I know that this thread is SUUUPER old, but I was just having this error and found a solution for what was causing it for me.

I like to have a lot of post-roll set up so that if I make a small selection accidentally and hit play it will play instead of playing for a split second and stopping. It appears that if you have a lot of pre or post-roll, it will act as if you're trying to record a long long long time. .... So double check your pre/post-roll.... It may be your solution. Oh.. and I forgot to mention i was in quick-punch mode so that may have something to do with it as well.. as it records after your post roll.

Scott
Thank god for super old posts and now-quite-so-old replies. I was totally stumped today, and this was it--I accidentally had 10 hours of post-roll instead of 1. Booyah!