Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2014, 11:50 PM

Default PC PT10 install

I'm a MAC guy, but, having been involved with PT since 2003, I figured I could install PT10 or maybe even 11 on my newly purchased ASUS G750 JH "gamer" laptop. I have never been so horribly frustrated in my life. For the past seven days, I've installed and removed PT 10 and 11 from my computer several times without success. I have an iLok 2 with the license manager installed and working on windows 8.

Upon the initial few installs, I kept getting a "HARDWARE NOT CONNECTED" window prompt as PT11 was initializing. So I switched to loading PT10, got this same window prompt a few times. Then I started getting the following window prompt: "Protools hardware is either not installed or used by another program." To me, it seems that the install was a success, but perhaps the sound card is not engaged and/or is not being recognized by PT...? The DIGI TEST program is useless as well.

I have valid NFR versions of protools availed to me based on my profession as links from an AVID reseller. This is a yearly free version of PT. I've used the provided links I'm given and have successfully installed PT10 in 2013 and 2014 on my MAC MINI. Any help with successfully installing PT 10 on my PC would be appreciated as I'm slightly losing my mind.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:39 AM

Default Re: PC PT10 install

Latest: when I click my PT10 icon, the CPU freezes up, screen goes blue and an automated restart is performed. WTF
Old 04-13-2014, 07:15 PM

Why was this post ignored? I'm not understanding why every other post was responded to except mine...
Old 04-13-2014, 09:41 PM

From the google search I did, it appears you have a Haswell processor, correct me if I'm wrong.

I am aware of some Haswell PC builds but I don't know what sort of success they are running with. I am unaware of Haswell Laptops running PT. Installing PT on all but qualified computers (particularly Laptops) is an absolute crapshoot.

I don't believe the Haswell processor is 'qualified' by Avid at this stage, although that doesn't necessarily mean they won't work....and I stand to be corrected if indeed someone is using a Laptop successfully.

If you are running on an unqualified computer, there is no recourse for getting any help from Avid or much from anyone on the forum. In those instances it's every man for himself walking down a lonely road I'm afraid. In saying that, there is a few 'Trail Blazers' around here who may chime in.

Pro Tools is a finicky beast so the best advice is to do some research about compatible platforms to run it on before buying/installing it .

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 04-14-2014, 06:57 AM

At this point, it sounds like the install is not correct. I would unintall both versions of PT and delete all of the avid directories. Or, better yet, restore your system to a point before you started installing PT.

You mention that PT did load at some point, but it could not access your soundcard because it was being used by Windows. Do you have another interface you could at least try with PT? Sometimes sharing the internal soundcard can be a crap shoot on Windows.

System Details
Old 04-14-2014, 03:44 PM

Let's take this back to basics, since OSX and Windows are quite different in this regard.
  • OSX uses Core Audio, which allows even internal sound cards in Apple laptops to be recognized by Pro Tools.
  • Windows doesn't have Core Audio. In order for Pro Tools to access a sound device on Windows, you need to have an ASIO driver.

You are using your internal soundcard, right? It does not have an ASIO driver, it instead uses something called WDM (Windows Driver Model). Fortunately, there is a way to "wrap" a WDM driver for many sound cards that otherwise do not have a dedicated ASIO driver. Please refer to this article for instructions on setting it up.

P.S. The ASIO4ALL 2.11 Beta2 version is stable, but if you encounter intermittent distortion (it will be quite obvious, it sounds like a bitcrusher) then you should uninstall it and download the 2.10 version instead.

P.P.S. One more tip for you. ASIO4ALL allows some buffer sizes that Pro Tools cannot use. For compatibility, make sure you choose a buffer size from the following list: 128, 256, 512, 1024. If you encounter AAE or DAE errors, increase the buffer size.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:43 PM

thanks for your replies!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Let's take this back to basics, since OSX and Windows are quite different in this regard.
  • OSX uses Core Audio, which allows even internal sound cards in Apple laptops to be recognized by Pro Tools.
  • Windows doesn't have Core Audio. In order for Pro Tools to access a sound device on Windows, you need to have an ASIO driver.

You are using your internal soundcard, right? It does not have an ASIO driver, it instead uses something called WDM (Windows Driver Model). Fortunately, there is a way to "wrap" a WDM driver for many sound cards that otherwise do not have a dedicated ASIO driver. Please refer to this article for instructions on setting it up.

P.S. The ASIO4ALL 2.11 Beta2 version is stable, but if you encounter intermittent distortion (it will be quite obvious, it sounds like a bitcrusher) then you should uninstall it and download the 2.10 version instead.

P.P.S. One more tip for you. ASIO4ALL allows some buffer sizes that Pro Tools cannot use. For compatibility, make sure you choose a buffer size from the following list: 128, 256, 512, 1024. If you encounter AAE or DAE errors, increase the buffer size.
MESAONE,

I'd already downloaded ASIO4ALL which gave me a plethora of horribly infected programs that would not allow me to do several things on my computer including easy downloads and regular internet browsing. I had to reset my whole computer after this. Your link recommends that I download ASIO4ALL again. Are you certain this ASIO4ALL 2.11 Beta 2 version released in 2013 is safe???

Byron