Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-09-2010, 05:40 PM

Default Re: HD Native low latency monitoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamM View Post
You can't do this in LE though, and I don't see how it'll work here - If I'm, for example, listening to the mix on 1&2, and want to send the artist headphone mix out 3&4, I set output 3&4 to low latency monitoring mode and they can hear themselves delay free, but with no plugins - this applies to the aux;s as well on LE.

so... What's the deal? Unless avid have snuck some basic TDM into the new i/o's (which I thought they would, what with mbox's now being able to put zero latency reverb in a singers headphones), are we stuffed still?
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyspicoli View Post
tamasdragon, how have you actually gotten this to work in LE? It doesn't. After countless tests I've accepted the fact that in LE, a singer can't hear their Low Latency input along with effects. It's one or the other. He/she CAN hear a latent input with effects, even in Low Latency mode. But it's latent, hence defeating the purpose.
Do this routing when using LLM in LE, or just record at a buffer of 32/64. More info found here and here.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-09-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Do this routing when using LLM in LE, or just record at a buffer of 32/64. More info found here and here.

Shane
Holy crap...is that the one thing I never tried?? Well assuming it works, thank you!
Old 10-09-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ndy View Post
Even though my old Digi001 sounded horrible, it was rock solid. I believe that it was because of the card! I may be wrong.
I have felt this way ever since I traded up from my 001. If Avid sold me back my 001 with a PCIe and let it be compatable with the current version of LE I would be happy as a pig in s**t. I have always blamed firewire for my stability issues.

I'd send it off to BLA and have them upgrade the insides and call it a day. The features in LE fit my needs perfectly. I just want it rock solid.

I see all the whining about HD Native having to use a card. I do %99 of my work in my studio. From the sounds of it, AE's everywhere need the ability to edit and mix wherever they may be. This just isn't how I want, or like to work.

I don't have 6k to spend on HD Native, nor do i need it's features. I would love another 00 series with a PCIe card though.

Sorry to hijack, and this probably doesn't belong here, but I haven't seen anyone else echo the way I feel about firewire. @ndy and I maybe wrong, but i don't think so.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:42 PM

Holyspicoli, since you already have Apogee converters, are you planning to use them with the HD Native card? Just curious.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Holyspicoli, since you already have Apogee converters, are you planning to use them with the HD Native card? Just curious.
Yeah the plan was to use the apogee direct in to the Native card. But I haven't decided if I'm gonna do that or try to find a TDM situation. But by golly, that thing with the reverb does work with Low Latency - wish I'd known 7 yrs ago LOL. Thank you mr shane!
Old 10-09-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamM View Post
If it works like that then great, but I suspect because the aux is still recieving an input, and because it's outputting on the low latency channel, all plug-ins will be disabled. I've spent days of my life trying to get this happening on LE, but it just doesn't.
CamM, as Shane so generously pointed out, it does! I'd been scratching my head over this for years, but the solution is in the posts above :)
Old 10-09-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Do this routing when using LLM in LE,
So you're basically controlling the vocal/instrument send to the reverb with the
channel fader instead of the Aux send fader? Guess I never thought of that...lol
Way to go Shane! Gonna check that out tonight. What's the lowest buffer you can do this with?
Old 10-09-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyspicoli View Post
Holy crap...is that the one thing I never tried?? Well assuming it works, thank you!
It is a workable workaround, but only acts as a send (good for reverb, chorus, etc). It still doesn't allow in-line plugins, and doubling up all input tracks can be cumbersome with several inputs, and there's cleanup afterward. TDM still ranks supreme here, when there's plenty else to worry about amid a tense session.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
It is a workable workaround, but only acts as a send (good for reverb, chorus, etc). It still doesn't allow in-line plugins, and doubling up all input tracks can be cumbersome with several inputs, and there's cleanup afterward. TDM still ranks supreme here, when there's plenty else to worry about amid a tense session.
Absolutely, still a pain in any sort of professional situation. But it's certainly good info to know for the home studio!
Old 10-09-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Then simply record at a buffer of 32 or 64 if you're on native. Tracking drums at a buffer of 64 with an i7 in large sessions is not an issue.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit