Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2015, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Why is 12 sucking SO BAD?!?

That's because you're all on Yosemite, correct?

It's been running quite stable for me as well on that OS. However, there is issues when I'm using Import Session Data from sessions that were done in HD11. Getting strange hangups, and it'll happen sometimes and not others.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:49 AM

I strongly suspect that there are few, if any of the original developers who still work for Avid. If that's true there may literally be no one left that knows the product inside and out. And if the product has once again been outsourced (as some have claimed) there are no longer even any of the developers who wrote the PT11/12 codebase still around, only the new team that is trying to get up to speed. So the development team would be two generations removed from the original.

I can't confirm any of that to be true, but I do know that the releases and bugs we're seeing are consistent with those types of changes. Adding HD features to vanilla PT are the simplest changes to make, and would be one way to give the appearance of a codebase that is advancing, even as it mostly isn't. Also, the fact that such an obvious VCA bug was missed would be a symptom of a whole new team still trying to learn the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NipL View Post
...there seem to be more difficulties oursourcing coding than anybody expected. Too few devs that know the product inside/out.

Thanks.

Last edited by Avid; 09-14-2015 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Your suspicions regarding Developers are not correct.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiomatrix View Post
Also weird behaviour with trim tool and separating a clip where part of the waveform is not drawn toward the end of the clip and it won't separate until you drag it out.
I had this for the first time today. Not been able to replicate it consistently yet.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:58 AM

MIDI is still sh i t in PT12 guys. I extensively use Massey's DRT to generate MIDI notes, but something weird happens to the generated notes. I often can't tab to the notes any longer after they've been made. Sometimes I have to cut/paste and it fixes it, but then it doesn't. Sometimes in 12, I have to put them on a MIDI track first, then cut and paste onto an Instrument Track before they allow me to tab through the notes. Right now, I was able to make it work on a Kick track, but then it won't work on the snare. Super inconsistent. At least I was able to make it work in 11HD, but it's garbage in 12 - this was the same in ML as it is in Yosemite, so the OS has nothing to do with this now.

This worked flawlessly in 10HD, for what it's worth. I've spoken to Steven Massey at length about this, and it's nothing that he can fix. AVID ruined something with MIDI behaviour in 11, and while I had a workaround for it, it won't consistently work in 12.

You guys must be seeing this as well? This is happening on 5 different systems here.

EDIT - just had some luck with using consolidate on the MIDI region before cutting/pasting it to the Instrument track. I've never had to do this before, and I cannot say for sure this is the fix nor will it work in the next session...

Last edited by Siegfried Meier; 09-16-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:52 PM

@Siegried I'm getting this in the MIDI Editor window, on notes I've played in (v12.2). It was the same on 12.1. I was starting to get to the point where I was wondering whether I'd dreamt that I could tab through the notes.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:45 PM

Nope, it's been severely broken since 12 was released. AVID knows it, Steven Massey knows it, but AVID haven't responded nor do they seem interested in fixing it...10 was the last version this all worked flawlessly. I actually have an HD10 partition installed that just has PT10HD along with Melodyne and Autotune 5, the last actual useable version of Autotune. What a complete piece of sh i t that plugin has become...

I boot into that partition often to do any vocal tuning and drop in MIDI notes for drum samples. I actually have Blue Cat's Patchwork AAX installed but some weird bug only allows one instance of Autotune 5 to exist - any more won't allow the session or Pro Tools to close without a force quit. Blue Cat is aware of the issue and can't help - the problem lies with the VST or AU versions of AT5, which I've converted into 64 bit VST and AU plugs using the 32 Lives app. However, often 1 is enough if I'm doing the work, one track at a time and processing/committing. My life feels like a 100% workaround these days...
Old 09-17-2015, 04:43 PM

I seem to have stumbled upon something that's been working all day for me regarding MIDI. Once you create the file from Massey's DRT, if you consolidate the region right after placing it on the track, it seems that I can now tab properly to each note. Fingers crossed, but it's worked on several sessions now.