Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 05-25-2011, 01:55 PM

Default Windows 7 eSATA help!!

Hi,

Im running a Dell studio Xps 8100 i7 860 8g RAM, Pro Tools LE 8.0.5, Mbox Pro (3g), Windows 7 (64) Home Premium SP1.

I got a Lacie d2 quadra 1tb the other day, so I could use the eSATA capability to keep audio off my OS drive (as is recommended).

I connected the drive and everything was working as anticipated, untill I tried copying any sessions or files of a decent value. What happens is: I copy (drag and drop) a folder onto the Lacie drive from mycomputer and the external lacie just disconnects itself, I get an error message telling me that the files can't be copied because the drive isn't there. as soon as I click ok, the drive reappears. . . if I try again the exact thing happens. I have tried formating the drive, I made sure the drive appears in the Bios, I have enabled and disabled all the cacheing options. I don't know what to do, if it helps I have made ALL the optimization changes (appart from the visuals) given in the W7 avid guide.

I can't find an answer anywhere (not even on dell) and could really use a hand getting this sorted.

Thanks a bunch
Old 05-28-2011, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Windows 7 eSATA help!!

Hmmmmm....How is the Lacie formatted? Are your drives set to AHCI in BIOS(the 3 choices are usually AHCI, IDE and RAID. RAID doesn't work for Pro Tools. IDE works, but you can't hot-patch an eSATA drive and get it recognized(you have to boot with the drive connected) and AHCI usually(USUALLY) allows for hot-patching SATA(or eSATA). In the Pro Tools workspace, is the Lacie set for R, T or P? If its P, that might be the problem as P means playback only. Are you simply dragging folders to the Lacie, or are you in Pro Tools and using File>save Session Copy?(might be worth a try).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-29-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Hmmmmm....How is the Lacie formatted? Are your drives set to AHCI in BIOS(the 3 choices are usually AHCI, IDE and RAID. RAID doesn't work for Pro Tools. IDE works, but you can't hot-patch an eSATA drive and get it recognized(you have to boot with the drive connected) and AHCI usually(USUALLY) allows for hot-patching SATA(or eSATA). In the Pro Tools workspace, is the Lacie set for R, T or P? If its P, that might be the problem as P means playback only. Are you simply dragging folders to the Lacie, or are you in Pro Tools and using File>save Session Copy?(might be worth a try).
In the Bios I only have options of RAID and ATA, The drive is formatted to HTFS. The problem doesn't reside in Pro Tools (although it may if I could get it to work), It is just a general problem in the functionality of the drive. I want to use the Lacie as my sample or recording drive depending on what it can handle better. Like I said, what happens is I try to copy the folders over of my sessions from either my OS drive or my Back up USB drive, druing transfer the lacie just disappears from my computer and doesn't return.

I hoped it was a driver issue but everything is up to date, I am cirtain the drive is not faulty because it works with usb, I am yet to try using another cable.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:48 AM

Is there an Intel chipset update from your MOBO maker? It will normally up your ICHI version. Anyway, what virtual software app are you using for HFS? You meant HFS+ correct?

Paragon?

Also, is Lacie internally using a 'green' drive that goes to 'sleep'?

Try de-installing the SATA driver (AHCI mode in bios as Albee mentions)... remove the driver.

There is/was a known problem with some Asus mobos regarding ICH10r ---> you don't want that driver for AHCI eSATA/SATA. Possibly with other makers too or maybe this is a Vista/W-7 thing.

What you want is the ICH10 or earlier release date from Intel's download site: (nothing with r standing for raid). You don't want any drivers w/ software raid. You will see the release versions by date and avoid the r versions.

I suspect this is a green drive and the power supply is cutting off automatically.

The Dell eSATA raid chipset update and driver may not be the best for non raid AHCI bios setting

Check Dell forums for that machine and see which version most are recommending.