Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-08-2021, 07:37 AM

Default Access Violation in LE 7.4 XT

I'm running PT LE 7.4 on Windows XT, and although the software and hardware are very out of date, the system has been stable for many years. The PC is not connected to the internet, and nothing new has been installed.

In the last few weeks I have been getting sporadic "Access Violation" pop-up, which freezes PT and may result in loss of session data when ending PT task. This is different from the Access Violation messages I've seen posted in other threads in that there is no specified address or other information, just the two words. I've seen this most frequently when adding/activating an instance of Autotune, especially in a large/complex session, though it happened again recently when I was simply editing regions.

I'm reluctant to try reinstalling software, and I doubt that I could reinstall XT even if I wanted to. My system is working now (mostly) and I don't need the functionality of current PT, and if a reinstall screws it up it would cost thousands of dollars to replace all of my hardware and software...not to mention all of my current project work, which would probably not work under a new PT version.

So, can anyone suggest what I might do to avoid access violations? Maybe a setting to change? Is it possible that freeing more space on my hard drive will help? What about disk defrag?

Thanks!

Mike
2GB DDR2-SDRAM
XP Home 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)
Old 01-08-2021, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Access Violation in LE 7.4 XT

First thing I would run is a harddisk surface scan to see if there are any bad sectors and a tool to read the s.m.a.r.t. info. Second would be a memory scan.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Access Violation in LE 7.4 XT

The RAM test won't take long, he's only got 2 GB. While XP can only use up to 4 GB and I don't think this will solve his current issue - if he could add another 2 GB of the same RAM, that wouldn't hurt.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction