Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2009, 07:34 PM

Default I'd like to upgrade my 001 PC

I have an older 001 rig that is still running protools 5 (believe it or not). It has been stable and done what I needed.

Here is the thing. With the dawn of Windows 7 I figure its now or never to at least build an XP box. I have a great deal of hardware already. My son upgrades his gaming rig continually. I have a decent Intel Dual Core, a number of video cards, power supplies and such. Everthing that is except a motherboard.

What can I get currently or what should I be looking at for a motherboard? What chipset issues are there that I should be aware of.

I begun a search on the boards but most of the data is out of date.

Thanks in advance

Don
Old 11-10-2009, 07:58 PM

Default Re: I'd like to upgrade my 001 PC

It looks like the upgrade is no longer available on the Digi Store site. Guess I'm SOL.

Perhaps I'll just get the software for my MAudio card in my other PC when windows 7 support comes along.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkcafe View Post
I have an older 001 rig that is still running protools 5 (believe it or not). It has been stable and done what I needed.

Here is the thing. With the dawn of Windows 7 I figure its now or never to at least build an XP box. I have a great deal of hardware already. My son upgrades his gaming rig continually. I have a decent Intel Dual Core, a number of video cards, power supplies and such. Everthing that is except a motherboard.

What can I get currently or what should I be looking at for a motherboard? What chipset issues are there that I should be aware of.

I begun a search on the boards but most of the data is out of date.

Thanks in advance

Don
If all you need is a motherboard and your CPU is a "Core2 Duo" an Asus P5Q will do.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-15-2009, 06:53 PM

Unfortunately I would also need to be able to purchase a version of Protools that will run the 001 on XP

Don
Old 11-15-2009, 07:11 PM

you CAN buy 6.4 online still (at least you could about a year ago)... it was hard to find but it only cost me about $35 or so.

I would contact digidesign and see what they tell you.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGeek View Post
you CAN buy 6.4 online still (at least you could about a year ago)... it was hard to find but it only cost me about $35 or so.

I would contact digidesign and see what they tell you.
...or just grab Reaper for $60 if you are going to stay on the 001. It works fine with the 001 and will bring it new life...you'll also have way more features.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-16-2009, 04:35 AM

I should have done this a couple of years ago.

I would love to take this upgrade to the next level and replace the interface but unfortunately I'm on a tight budget and can only afford the motherboard (like I said I have all the other parts from my sons previous upgrades). My trusty old system is an 800Mhz Pentium 3.

The studio has been idle for the last couple of years because my job had me on the road. Now I'm the one that is idle (laid off) and would like to get the system going again. The old 001 system is working fine but working in 98SE seems more than a little dated seeing as my office desktop is running Windows 7.

I'll try giving Digi a call but the upgrade is no longer on the site.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:56 AM

Looks like I might not be out of luck. I called Digi yesterday to inquire if I could purchase a license for 6.4. They said they needed to inquire and took my email address. I got an email today saying to just search 6.4 on the site to purchase it. That still didn't work so I called back this morning. I was told that due to the redesign of the site, not every thing made it back up yet. Meanwhile they are going to figure out how to sell me a key so I can download the update.

So it's back on, and I need to inquire again, what should I be looking at for a motherboard to work with a intel dual core 775 socket processor. I have all the other hardware. I also have a AMD machine running on the Asus M3A78 motherboard with 780g chipset and a 4850e processor. Anyone have any experience to share?

Thanks,

Don
Old 11-18-2009, 03:04 PM

Took a look at the P5Q on the Asus site. From what I can tell and what is available, it looks like the P5Q SE Plus is probably the best choice.

Any one have any thoughts about the different versions?

I don't need dual PCI X16 video card slots. The standard P5Q would be my first choice but NewEgg doesn't have them.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:47 PM

If you're getting 6.4 you will also need the following:

6.4 cs6

6.4 cs9

The latest PACE drivers

And if you have a dual core you will have to turn off hyperthreading for sure and may have to turn off one core to get 6.4 to run as only 7x and above is multi-cpu capable.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction